How to semi-stealth a grow tent in my basement?

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by zizou21, Apr 27, 2011.

1. I just bought a house, so there is literally nothing in my unfinished basement besides a washer and dryer. It's a pretty large basement so putting a tent down there would be really conspicuous standing there by itself. I was trying to think of ways to make it unnoticable, or just not stand out so much so that if the in-laws come over to check out the new washer and dryer or whatever, they don't walk up straight to it and ask me what this is.

Maybe someone else has been in this situation and they have more creative and clever ideas than i do :smoke:

2. grow weed around the tent.. they will never ask about the tent... 100 bucks :hello:

need some pics man.. just of the general area of your basement... maybe a false wall.. you wouldn't need alot of space... but that would be what i do...

3. maybe build a fake wall one side of it, and the other have a bunch of crap like scrap wood set in front of it.

4. Wow, great for you!
    Anyway in your problem better find a good contractors and consult your project. ^_^

5. Maybe pinup a tarp or something? and scatter some stuff and make a fake mess. If they ask perhaps say you might start some sort of fake basement project or just say its a clutter pile of stuff. Goodluck :)

6. A friend of mine does this.. to hide 4 tents haha.

They put up 2 levels of wood dowels, so they could hang up their wet clothes. When you go downstairs at any given point, all you see is laundry and it smells of freshly washed clothes lol.

7. ^^yes i have found that hiding in plain site is the best bet for hiding tents. The laundry idea is very good, but when i had a tent in my bedroom and had a landlord I said it was a darkroom for photography. I had my lanlord come over the day i was "setting up my darkroom for school" and asked if it would be ok. Then, I hung some B&W photos on the sides and had a few older and broken cameras I got really cheap from a camera store and I would just say i was developing in an old fashioned slow way the once or twice I was asked.
    I would turn 0ff the lights in my room and just kill the power to the tent when there was a chance i had a showing or landlord visit. I was always scared but it worked well
    I think showing the tent to my lanlord, and "asking" if it was ok was the m0st important...then just confidence and always keeping any other evidence away and always being ready.

Good luck!

8. What you could do is put the tent in a corner and then set up a a shelf or two to kinda cover is so you have to walk around to get to the door of the tent?:smoke:

9. Is it your in laws your more worried about? How about the other household members? If its just random guests at the house, im sure a clutter of boxes, clothes n plain mess in the basement will deter them from going down to snoop around.

Now if its parents, brothers/sisters, or relatives that live in the house, that's a bigger problem.

If its the latter, ill build a false wall.

10. haha thx for the ideas guys. i'm still theorizing here.. I wish i could put it in a corner and hide it with a bookshelf or something, but the only corner available is the one that is in plain sight coming down the stairs ):

^Also I think building a fake wall would be more conspicuous than the tent itself :|

11. Hi all,
    noobie here. This post touches on my biggest question regarding my grow. I have access to a large, cool, dark area underneath my house. Most of the growths I see are tent/cab enclosed. Does the grow area have to be enclosed? Heat will be easy to dissipate and my one concern is humidity (hygrometer coming tomorow). There is electric already accessible. Can't I just set up the light over my plants and grow?

12. ^^you deff need to read alot, but the tents main purpose is stealth, containing smell, controlling intake and (perhaps most importantly) it allows for a FULL, COMPLETE dark period. That is soo incredibly crucial for success I can not say it enough.

Good Luck
    -DC

13. Maybe you should convert a freezer into a grow box and ditch the tent....?

14. Thanks DC for the response. The dark issue isnt a concern. I need a flashlight to see anything even during the middle of the day. I guess the concern is the ability of the tent to better control the temp/humidity environment vs open? Also, stealth and odor are not as big a concern. I'm lucky with my situation versus alot of you other small scale/personal use growers.

15. yeah, your not concerned till the entire house stinks off one single plant...

spend five bucks and get some filtering in there... it never hurts to be overly cautious, especially if your already concerned about visitors... it will stink