How To SCROG

Discussion in 'Advanced Growing Techniques' started by trojangrower, Feb 9, 2019.

1. Awesome write up man! It's super informative but also not difficult for me as a beginner to understand.
    Can't wait to give it a shot during my next White Widow Autoflower grow!

Joe

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. This is a great post. I will be referring back to it this grow. I have scrog trained the last few grows. I made a wooden 1 x 1 frame with brackets and two taller posts to use for fans.

Love your ideas and design.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

• Like Like x 2
  3. Bookmarked. Thank you

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. I really got a ton out of this post. I was planning on SCRoGing one of the big girls I have, but I went ahead and decided against it because of the shape it assumed after I cut it. Here is one image of it. Theres a problem: it hasn't been sexed yet. PLEASE GOD. 20190423_173321.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  5. Dope! Too bad the one poor fellow didn’t understand the other two tops come from the second node lol

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. It may not be that. If a clone is taken from a flowering plant, or (possibly) is exposed to 12/12 for a while, then the lateral branching pattern changes from parallel to staggered, and if its staggered, almost seem redundant to top, and just supercropping the main could achieve the same result as topping.

It may be that a staggering plant (idk what else to call it) is better off using mainlining methods instead of scrogging techniques.

• Like Like x 2
  7. NEW MOD!

I have had to add a support screen from time to time. This isn't the same as the trellis. If the plants stretch too much (oh no I added the trellis too early!) then you may end up with buds falling over. To prevent this, a person can add a support screen similar to
    upload_2019-5-17_20-2-46.png
    You would add this only if there are support problems, but where do you add that if you are in an open room (not a tent)?

I had problems with stretch with this plant and added these:
    upload_2019-5-17_20-5-37.png

Not the best example, will update next grow. The reason is that there is no trellis. The trellis should be at the level where the red circles are whereas the support netting should be at the top. In this example, I didn't have the support netting, so I just used some (hemp) twine to make a quik'n'ez net. The key to this example are the four-way connectors circled in red.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. Your tutorial shows much more forethought and discipline than my efforts. Have you experimented with vertical or stadium style? I lean heavily on pipe cleaners and folder clips to keep things competing for the light but haven't really committed to a traditional scrog until I built an overflow veg/flower cab that utilizes a heavy gauge steel shelf as the screen. Still using pipe cleaners above to pull down the more dominant mains.
    IMG_20190523_201923.jpg IMG_20190523_155516.jpg IMG_20190523_155530.jpg
    My pair here are thriving under what many would consider far too little horsepower (2 x 75watt COB fixtures - pulling about 45w each from wall).

• Like Like x 2
  9. #29 LateBloomer56, May 24, 2019
    Last edited: May 24, 2019
    Did you create the secondary support screen? I currently have a scrog going for a flower switch tomorrow, but one of the two plants is very dominant and rigid, Blueberry, and I may need a secondary support screen? I do have more 2" x 3" teflon metal coated gardening wire I could use and mount with twist ties to the tent four posts (3' x 3" old grow tent).

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  10. Subscribed

• Like Like x 3
  11. not yet. Your grow remind me of when I tested a vipraspecter (it was my wife's and I sold it and boy'o'boy was she mad at me!), but then switched out to some 302 boards. I used the same kind of wire sheliving with much success! I remember that the stretch went mad, but I placed another shelf on top and succeeded in 'double scrogging' the lot. It was in a 2x3 tent, one plant. Here's a snap (sorry color).
    upload_2019-5-24_16-11-36.png
    I've also used a 18"x4ft wire shelf to achieve the same (but no double scrog that time), that was veg'd completely under T5s
    upload_2019-5-24_16-13-50.png
    I like them, but they are not as symmetrical, which is a drawback.

• Like Like x 1
  12. I would only use a secondary support only if needed. I didn't have a proper support netting and just used hemp twine this time around, but its so time consuming and hard on the buds.
    but.. if its just one or two buds that you think may cause a problem, I would deal with it later. One very simple and pretty inexpensive way is to tie it up like I did, just one bud, note the red arrow.
    upload_2019-5-24_16-18-45.png

easily achieved using a card holder/badge reel like this
    upload_2019-5-24_16-20-0.png
    You just clip the plastic band around the falling bud and clip it, the reel is mounted above (for me on a light frame, you may need to tie a string up on the frame).

@StickyBudHound showed me this recently
    upload_2019-5-24_16-22-25.png
    dat be crazy mun!

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. I bought an elastic trellis net like this, but it was too big for my tent. I undid the knots, cut it into strips, and built the trellis from the pieces.

I like having the option to resize my squares on the fly. I also like to slide the strips back and forth every few days to let light hit different parts of the plant.

Great write up @trojangrower !!

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. Sweet grow Nobueno714!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Thanks bud!

I’m not trying to detract from Trojans thread, but here’s my lighting / grow log if you want to see more

Modular quantum board build

• Like Like x 4
  16. post away my friends... no use sharing if we aren't sharing!

• Like Like x 4
  17. That’s what’s up

• Like Like x 3
  18. A section of wire shelf on chains; running 12/12 under five separate LEDs (300 - 150 - 300 - 100 -100).
    IMG_20190525_150327.jpg
    A clone only slightly smaller is just starting short hours under a more modest system (80 -90 - 80).
    IMG_20190519_192132.jpg
    Both are chasing a pair well on their way under a pair of 75w COB units.
    IMG_20190519_195455.jpg IMG_20190519_195423.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  19. Can anyone chime in on this? Looking for advice for when to flip.
    I'm thinking in about 3 days or so does anyone agree it's ready or do I need to let those side shoots develop more ? A week? 2 weeks? I'm a bit lost because im can't work out if I am being impatient or wise...

Strain is critical + 2.0

Thanks !

IMG_20190602_123731.jpg

20. Hi Nydan, it depends. They're gonna stretch but, how much depends on lights and strain. What size tent do you have? What lights are you using and what color spectrum do they have available?

I see some leaves in there that don't look happy. I think I'd be trying to clear that up first.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1