how to remove the shell from seedling that sprouted

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by kayakush, Jan 8, 2013.

1. so three days ago i germinated some cali connect pre 98 bubba kush. it sprouted the next day. the seedlings is taller now but the seed case is still on it and the leaves havent come out. should i remove this with tweezers or something or leave it. edit: watch by the time i get home it will be fine

2. I had the same thing happen and I just let it be and let nature do its thing I got antsy and removed it once I saw leave

3. If it's resting on a leaf I pull it off, if it offers any resistance at all though I'd wait longer or maybe try a little squirt of water and wait a couple minutes before trying again.

4. either leave it and it will be fine, or put a drop of water on it and let it soak for 15 minutes before removing the seed shell. to remove it, Id try to get two fingernails between the two halves of the shell and pull them apart, but you can definitly fuck up more than you can win by trying this.

5. #5 lazyeffort, Jan 8, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 8, 2013
    I tried removing it a few times with a pretty good success rate.. if you have the hand of a surgeon go for it, a light breeze helps to wiggle it off sometimes but be careful.

6. It will come apart have faith

7. it probably wouldnt be a gentic issue, but if it was thats a valid point... dont breed weed that cant even sprout on its own

8. I remove them after a day or two as long as they aren't still attached to the cotyledons. There is a thin film that may be connecting the shell to the cotyledons.

I use tweezers, but in reverse. Squeeze the tweezers almost closed then put the tips just inside the shell opening then let the tweezers open. This should pry the shell open a little and allow it to slip off. Sometimes you can just pull it straight off, but you risk damage if it is still connected.

9. i got it off

10. Should have left it.

11. Thanks for this, I had 2 that did the same thing. all my other 10 had 2nd nodes, but they were still in seedling. i cracked them and they took just fine. They are just considerably smaller than the rest. I also found the seed bank I bought from had mostly regular sized seeds. but 2 were smaller than the rest. So idk if this means the seed needed to take longer to swell up and sprout well then i guess i should look at my seeds better before i germ them.

Its ok I think I need to ditch 3 plants anyway for light distribution. My reflector wont let me do 12.

12. Quote:
    Originally Posted by baumeister
    it probably wouldnt be a gentic issue, but if it was thats a valid point... dont breed weed that cant even sprout on its own

this is cali connect...i doubt its genetics....thanks for ur help

13. Its more likely from a lack of humidity and i always do the water drop on it then it comes right off with a toothpick

14. When this happens to Me, I simply blame the breeder and the seedbank.

The seddbank for not seeing the shell was defective, and the breeder for breeding such an over protective seed shell.

Or sometimes( on a months 3rd full moon) I'll just pull out the #5 needlenose tweezers, and give mother nature a hand.

15. FTR I'm not sure this is even possible.

16. I wouldn't worry, let it fight for survival, for this is the jungle.

17. i already posted i took it off....i think the air was too dry. anyway i got a nice seedling.

18. They come off on their own. Just stop messin' with the sprout. Don't feel as if you have to help it, as cannabis has been doing it on its own for millions of years.

Submitted for your approval,
    Tyg

19. [quote name='"TygTalaj"']They come off on their own. Just stop messin' with the sprout. Don't feel as if you have to help it, as cannabis has been doing it on its own for millions of years.

Submitted for your approval,
    Tyg[/quote]

Yea, but nature has horrible success rates. That is why plants make so many seeds, only a small percentage of plants make it to maturity. If your good with a few out of a handfull of seeds actually growing then by all means go all natural. The reality is that human intervention and extra care result in much better numbers when it comes to both success rate and final yields of many plants, not just Mj.

• Like Like x 1
  20. #20 hope2toke, Jan 9, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 9, 2013
    i noticed this recently. The seed shell still being on after all the other sprouts cracked their shells can mean a few things, including invironmental or grower's fault. I don't think seeds having a tougher embryo is a reason not to breed the plant. It could just mean the seed would have benefited from being planted deeper, to allow particles of sand to remove the shell as it pushes upward. Or it could have benefited from scarification before planting. In fact some well and accomplished breeders scarify their seed regularly. :eek: