How to remove oxidation and clean Ti products

Discussion in 'Concentrate Tools' started by DaborDietryin, Jan 1, 2015.

1.        After being 'flamed' for my first time on how i take care of my Ti, i decided a thread with some evidence is due. This method refers to 'water seasoning' which really isnt seasoning. If you were to purchase a brand new ti nail that isnt brand name, i suggest washing like this. While blasting a nail will remove any sort of chemical left behind, it can also create things left behind, which is why i use water as a medium so it can grab anything. I have been using this generic Ti nail for over a year now, and my friend has a Highly Educated, and ive watched both build oxide over this last year. Now one thing to understand is that this titanium dioxide forms as a protective layer whether or not its introduced to water. Ive scraped it off before, which i dont prefer to do since your agitating a very light dust particle and can potentially end up breathing the dust. While heavy metal poisoning demands a relatively larger amount of metals to be present in the body, a little dioxide dust will still show adverse effects.

Ive dabbed off a heavily oxidized nail before, not heavily since I was only at the dudes house for a second, but a few hours later i felt like shit and my urine smelled horrible and like i was pissing titanium. That being said i told him to clean that shit, obviously. I actually stopped using my Ti nail after a magnet test. I found the bottom section to have a small magnetic attraction but the top domeless section your heating up had none whatsoever. Heres my nail after approx one month. Note how white and thick the dioxide is, and excuse me for taking such low temp dabs and gunking up my nail, i was scared of overheating the metals in the bottom section.

Snapshot_20141230.JPG

To clean the dioxide, and also built up residue, i use water. Yes water can create the dioxide, BUT water will also remove the dioxide as well. I will heat the whole nail red hot and try to get the bottom part of the bowl to glow as well, since this is where the gunk mainly built up. Then i just dip that sucker in water. Heres the part where YoSHytsWeak rolls in his grave. Water can create dioxide quick, i am aware of that, you should be too. If you let the nail sit in water for exactly 5 sec or so until its not too hot to dry, and pull it out and dry quick, you get a fresh nail. Use something pointy like a nice metal dabber to wrap a good cloth around in order to get the crevices. Definitely do not torch your nail to remove moisture as your only opening up the ti for more oxidation, just dry with something decent and youll get all the water and no excess of titanium dioxide.

Snapshot_20141231_1.JPG

Here it is after dipping in water, and quickly drying. Definitely removed the excess of oxidation and gunk that built up.
    My oil/wax/shatter isnt really that shitty, but it isnt the stuff you see from extract companies which is a given. Some stuff ive had contained little amount of butane and others just trim runs. I have had some very legit c02 but id rather get quantity over quality because c02 is imported and costs a lot to make and for me to purchase. Currently I have some green crack shatter, and its the most terpiest hash ive had in a while. On a glass nail the taste was pretty good, but i heated up my ti nail just now and i actually think im switching back to the Ti nail since it really does burn so much more efficient. I also dont think ive ever had anything except the c02 taste so well, but the Ti hits wonderful.

I just took three consecutive dabs off of one cycle of heating, the third got all burnt but almost didnt want to, so heat retention is still decent. After about a year and three months of use, this generic nail still has life. Its important to always clean oxidation once it builds to such a degree, depending on the product being dabbed and whatever temp the nails and even moisture and temp of the room/area i would say always clean a nail every week especially if it just sits out in a rig. Hopefully this clears some things up among any Ti users

2. Dude, give it a rest. Here is a quote from the man himself Task Rok the owner of Highly Educated.

"On a final note, “Water Seasoning” is the idea that you can season your titanium by heating it up and placing it under water. It is of my opinion that this doesn't do anything to season the titanium but we do know it jump starts the oxidation process.
    If you have any questions you can always email me. taskrokathighlyeducatedtidotcom
    Task"

With that said I do fully agree with you on nails need to be cleaned. You don't want to fuck around with this stuff. I would go one step further and recommend getting a nail with a replaceable head so you can just switch it out as needed.

I would highly recommend reading through the blogs on the Highly Educated website. Lots of good info. It does talk about cleaning ti and you are half way there but the other half your doing very wrong.

3. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

4. #4 steadyglobbin, Jan 1, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
    Dude just let it go your talking about generic titanium and wax with butane still in it. When it comes to concentrates its always quality over quantity. I think the reason your getting the reactions you are is because you dont have the same respect for saftey as other blades here do. Ill take HE's word for it anyday.

5. Ive read the HE blogs before and it is the best information out there. Im not saying this water method seasons a nail, and (for the second or third time) ill refer to my original post to the mans nail who caught on fire, in which i said using oil and or reclaim is what truly seasons a nail. I have used this method to clean and remove dioxide off my ti for a while and i stick by it for this nail. If i had the budget for a Highly Educated i would splurge on an enail setup but i paid 20 bucks for this nail, and a half broken ceramic which still kinda worked.

I live in Ohio and being close to michigan youd think shit would be cheaper but i would rather 2g of decent wax than just a g of c02. I will buy c02 occasionally but its just not ideal as its usually 80 a g. 

i suggested this method to guy whos nail caught on fire because even when theres wax on my nail leftover it doesnt catch fire at all so there was probably a chemical of some sort but who knows. theres definitely just a small protective layer on the nail, as opposed to the buildup that was so i think this way works just fine. Like i said it also has not really effected how well it holds heat either, i can still let it sit for the same amount of time and get the same dab i always get.

6. Your using a $20 Domless "TI" nail that you admitted to it having a magnetic pull to it.

It's funny that you still think you are making sense. If there was a protective layer on the nail then why wouldn't it catch fire when your first torch it?

I've never had a new nail catch fire.
    Ever. And I've ran through quite a few replacements on my Infiniti at this point.

Why do you refer to CO2 extract like it's superior to wax?

Errl is errl as long as it's blasted and purged correctly it shouldn't mater which method you use to extract it. Just because something is blasted with CO2 doesn't mean it's better...

7. $20 Ti nail? Yikes.

This is why you are getting flamed. Based on this post you have little idea as to what you are talking about and your trying to give out advice. Dabing off a cheap china nail can be bad for your health. You yourself stated you had a bad experience off a nail once. If you can't afford name brand Ti then go with quartz or glass. Its not worth the risks. Also CO2 extract isn't better then butane. Its all in the process. I prefer tane to co2 extracts as the tane ones seem to have better flavor.

8. i paid 20 bucks for it, friend paid near 50 at the shop. it does say USA on it but both me and my friend question and doubt that. I did switch to my glass nail but after cleaning i definitely enjoy the taste and ways ti hits.
    Around here my options are either 50 dollar grams with price cuts of typical butane extract, and co2 can be 60-80. The co2 is made out of state and for a medical community of course. The butane is home made, on a dirty apartment floor and some times un properly purged leaving me and other customers to purge it fully so it doesnt completely suck to hit. regardless ive proved my point, water removes oxidation and effectively cleans a nail.

9. The only point you've made is that you don't know what you are talking about lol

10. Well take a look at my nail, is there not less oxidation? I think you've been missing my point. Regardless if you care or not, taken you admitted to not reading anything I wrote because you think I'm stupid for presenting my way of cleaning titanium. You even pointed out a lack in evidence, which I supplied, the water method works. It may not be the most ideal way to clean a nail but it works, and that's all that matters.

11. Your method deteriorates the nail at a faster rate. What part of that don't you understand?

I think the fumes off that china nail have messed with your brain too much.

12. #12 trixman22, Jan 4, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 4, 2015
    Quote from Highly Educated blog "“Water seasoning” as it has been called will mostly enhance the oxidation process...".

I understand your not trying to season the nail with the water, but you are doing the same thing. Heating nail red hot and dunking in water is what water seasoning is. It is well known that that process speeds up oxidation. That is the exact same process you are describing to "remove oxidation". Do you not understand that? The oxidation doesn't happen from leaving the nail wet for to long. It happens from dunking a hot nail in water.

To remove oxidation you have to use a TI wire brush. You need to scrub that shit off, then dunk it in water to clean any oxidation dust off. Never heat then dunk in water.