How to remove odor from rubber design?

Discussion in 'Bongs, Dab Rigs, Bubblers, Water Pipes' started by Canadian Professor, Nov 9, 2018.

1. I received my new Glass Waterpipe - Tar Catcher - GL5841 yesterday, the attachment has 8 rubber grommets pieces which are fresh / black tire scented. Please... anyone got a suggestion as to rid the noxious odor before 1st. usage.

ThankYouVeryMuch :hide:

Tar Catcher.jpg

2. Maybe clean them with alcohol or wash them in the dishwasher?

3. no dish washer but isopropyl alcohol antiseptic might work

4. Yeah I'd use iso and then maybe a wash with degreaser dish soap and hot water then let dry

5. Hate to say it, but now you know why most "quality" glass bongs have glass joints.
    A grommet is a no no.

6. yes, true enough, but this unit separates for better overall cleaning internally is thou factor

7. "fresh (cold) outdoor air seems to be the answer as stench of rubber has weaken by half so far"

8. I also have 2 new "WeedStar" solid glass units that will NOT clean as well after 1st acometh

9. Fill it up with cold black coffee and let it soak for an hour. That should do it

10. hey thanks, I tried brewing fresh ground coffee batch, didn't work but this is what worked... in a small cooking pot I put the rubber pieces with a little water and emptied a "Dasani" grape flavored concentrate liquid drops, warm stewed for 1 hour and placed outside overnight - froze, I just thawed warm washed the (greatly reduced smell) grommets and now soaking in fresh air outdoor sunny day. I am sure by tonight the bong can be used without detection of yukie odor "FRESH-RUBBER" moldings.

11. Smoke joints ,,, blow the smoke into your bong , over and over until the scent goes away .

I made a Coke can gas mask , used silicone to glue the can to the mask .
    The silicone smell was nothing less then overwhelming .
    took 9 months to get the silicone smell down enough to use the gas mask .

Was it worth it ??? hell yes .

12. I had a wow discovery just moments ago, by combining pickling salt and isopropyl alcohol sure cleans glass bongs super fast & easy after two days of crude use... now looks new and smell fresh again. Really impressed with cheap & simple cleaning method.