how to recover from severe root root????

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by Oski, Feb 15, 2007.

1. hi

my plants in bubblers have been suffering severe root rot. so much so that when i just touched the root ball, 90% of it just fell apart in my hands.

i have recently read that if the water level is too high this can cause root rot. well i have kept the water level constantly about 2 inches in to the net pot, so im thinking this may be the cause.

the res temps have been a constant 70-72 degrees so i dont think its because the res temps are too high.

anyway, you can see from these pics what is left my my root balls from two plants.

i have now lowered the res level to 2 inches below the netpots, will this cure the problem?

can plants recover from bad root rot or should i forget this grow and start again from scratch?

thanks

oski

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      152.9 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      150.8 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      158.2 KB
      Views:
  2. how often do you touch the roots as from what i know thats a big no no never touch the roots do you often touch the roots to see if they will fall apart also put at least 2 airstones in the water

3. today was the first time i touched the roots.

there are 4 x 12" airstones in the 60L bubbler.

4. Is light getting into your bucket? Another angle may be the temps...that can sometimes cause the "rot".:smoking:

5. Man your roots can live in water provided that their is a shit load of oxygen .... airstones provide oxygen but not a great deal ... most of the air floats to the top ... personally i like top feeding with ring sprinklers and letting all the water run out the bootom freely and completly ( best to time your waterings) .... but you should always use a root conditioner to maintain their health ... "a shitty root system grows a shitty plant" ... the best and cheapest root condition is hydrogen peroxide H202 ... most oxy products will contain 50% h202 ... h202 puts disolved oxygen instantly into the water ... basically liquid oxygen ... do this every second day ... if you use pure h202 use it at the rate of 1ml per 10 litres ....