Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

How To Properly Smoke A Bowl?

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by zoopapa16293, Jul 22, 2014.

1. Hey guys, I'm kinda new to all this and I have tried smoking a few bowls. What always ends up happening is that I inhale a bit of smoke, hold it, and nothing comes out. Is this normal? I've only done it twice with a few hits each time and I only got a slight buzz. I think the problem may be that I am using one of those long kitchen lighters. I have a small bic one but when I try to light the bowl it goes upside down and burns my thumb. I also only top off some extra weed on top of the used weed because it isn't finished. Do I need to make the whole bowl fresh? Last question, when do I put my fingers on the whole on the side and when do I release? As you can see I'm very new and unexperienced, I hope you can help me understand this a bit more, thanks!

2. When you hold the lighter, flick while it's up then tilt it to the side and let the flame go into the bowl using your suction (you may need to inhale hard) Don't hold the lighter upside down. And fuck what everyone says telling you to start small, just put some weed in the bowl and torch it. Who cares.

3. pack it then light it 

4.      So always make sure to completely smoke or clear out the bowl before you pack more. other wise you end up smashing all that burnt weed and ash into the hole then you cant draw from it. you should have a little paper clip or toothpick to clean out the bowl between every use.

the little hole on the side is called a Carb. you hold this while drawing smoke through the pipe. you release when you are ready to clear the smoke from the pipe.  if you don't hold the little hole while adding flame to the bowl you wont be able to get a good hit or really anything for that matter.

Don't worry about holding the smoke in so much. like 2-5 seconds and you have everything you need. those old stoner myths that you should hold the smoke until there isn't any smoke left is kind of dumb in my opinion. It's called Ghost hitting and is pretty bad for you.

5. Okay I'm going to save you so hard rn prepare

1. When you're packing the bowl, either use a grinder or break up the nug as finely as possible and put it away. Once it's in be sure to lightly press down on the green so that it's all sticking together, but don't press your weed into the tiny hole at the bottom of the bowl because then it goes inside the pipe and when you inhale you'll just get a bunch of weed in your mouth and you'll have dank breath lol (plus it's so gross)\t
    2. Use a bic lighter or a wick. BIC lighters are easiest to get and if you take the safety off (look up tutorials) it's WAY easier for beginners although once you're seasoned it'll hardly matter. \t
    3. When lighting the bowl, hold the lighter SIDEWAYS. Never light it straight up and try to blaze because it'll just burn your finger and won't burn as easily.\t
    4. Don't hold the flame too close to your plant... This is the biggest mistake newcomers makes. When the flame is directly burning the weed it burns too fast and you're wasting your money because you'll only get 1-2 medium hits off the bowl. Hold it about a centimeter away from the bowl and inhale deeply, the flame should be attracted to the force of you breathing in and will light the plant just enough. \t
    5. Hold your finger over the hole a few seconds while you're inhaling in the smoke and release it, but keep inhaling, as hard as you can. It might hurt but you'll get used to it. You MUST have your finger over the carb (little hole on the side)  and be inhaling when you light, obviously. It'll be such a waste to just light and inhale, but you'll still get smoke.\t
    6. HOLD IN THE HIT. At least a few seconds, I know its like a widespread argument that this doesn't do anything, but try it and see dude.\t
    7. Don't pack clean weed over ash. I cringed just reading that. Finish the bowls first, or else you're inhaling ash along with the fresh plant and that just makes it taste flat nasty/it won't burn as evenly. 
    I think your inquiry about no smoke coming out might be that you're not burning correctly/ there's not enough weed packed so you cook your shit first hit every time/ you're burning it too fast.

If you're over 18 (I'm just going to wildly assume since that's the age limit) you're better off investing in a bong or vape. Bongs don't have carbs (little hole), you just burn, inhale until the chamber is white with smoke, pull the bowl off (its attached to this pen looking thing called a stem), inhale the smoke in the chamber, replace the stem and you're not only good but higher than you would've been taking five pipe hits! They sell portable bongs and cases and they don't smell as bad as you'd imagine... Vapes are another story, they don't actually burn the weed but heat it up to the point where it vaporizes and you just inhale the vapor and you're good. It's a clearer high and vapes don't smell AT ALL. Plus you can use the extra weed and make edibles or smoke it!

Now if all else fails, maybe try smoking joints until you feel more confident or partake in a smoking session with someone who's seasoned, hahaha. Joints won't smell too bad if you have incense and a window, the smoke just tends to linger longer, so if you're living with people who care if you smoke be super careful with joints/blunts.