how to prepare for next year

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by heavyhitter25, Nov 16, 2009.

1. this fall ive been searching around for a new grow spot. and i found a good location but its coverd in tall weeds. I was windering if I could place a tarp over the weede spot in order to kill the weeds during the winter until spring until i am ready to start my grow.
    I figure if i could stop the sun from reaching the weeds they will die and leave me with a good spot to start my garden.
    what do you think.

If its a bad idea i would appreciate a suggestion?

2. i personally wouldent cuz if pigs fly over and see a tarp they might get sketched but i dout that will happen. id just go out with a knife or weedeater and clear it out in a zip!

3. I would use a knive but the weeds are like 4 feet tall and the spots very dense.I figure when spring comes the weeds will be bigger and twice as dense.I'm attemting a rather large grow... 5 or 6 seperate spots and the labor to clear the weeds out physically is impossible. My thinking was a tarp would give me a bare patch of land come grow season

4. Easiest thing would be to buy a machete. They are only about $10 at walmart. I wouldn't want to deal with putting a tarp out in hopes it will work. A machete will work well and probably give better results.

5. I am new to this forum but I have dealt with your issue before. I love the cover of heavy bio-mass, people tend to stay out of it. any way I get a pair of pruning shears and cut everything I can down low as I can. then dig all the roots out and turn the soil a little bit . then I cover the area with CLEAR plastic. when the early spring sun hits it the leftover seed and root will sprout leave it covered till all the new stuff is dead and it should be plantin time, add soil and gro!!! it works great!!!

6. Another option (although not organic) is to chop the weeds down and then apply Roundup. The formulations they make nowdays will kill the weeds and then break down within a few months and cause no problems with your soil come spring time. You might consider managing those weeds though, if its a thick area it might be better to hollow out a few spots and grow among the weeds. Just a thought.....