How to measure downstem?

Discussion in 'Bongs, Dab Rigs, Bubblers, Water Pipes' started by lou13, Apr 25, 2011.

1. So I'm going to go shopping for a new downstem for my straight 14" zob og, it has an 18mm-18mm downstem which has like 0 drag, but its really long and disproportionate for my bong, especially when I'm also in the market for a new AC... I don't want it to tip. Anyway, I want to get a 18mm-14mm cause they are way more compact, and I see a lot more cooler 14 mm bowls out there.

So the question is, do I measure from the bottom of that or the top?
    from the top it is 4.5 inches and from the bottom its 3.5 approx.

=======

so if you can imagine above, the first bolded part is the part that meets up with the joint on the bong and the second is what meets the bowl.

FOR PEOPLE THAT DON'T WANT TO READ: Do I measure my downstem from the bottom of the sandblasted part that meets up with the joint, or the top?

Gracias,
    Big Lou

2. MOST people go from the bottom of the joint down for the measurement.

But lately ive been noticing people including the ground joint (measuring to the top of the ground joint) in their measurements, it really depends on the place your ordering another one from though.

3. If you're ordering from ALT it's the length of the glass from below the joint.

4. Thanks guys! I was just going to go to a headshop and obviously I can't bring my resiny downstem in... I didnt want to seem nerdy and bring a ruler or tape measure but I guess thats what it will come down to ;)

5. that's a good idea. there aren't any better diffused downstems or anything online for a similar price? that's when the measuring gets more difficult :)

BTW Trailer Park Boys fucking rock

6. yea they fuckin do!

and I don't like ordering glass online, between shipping and scams and not being able to examine stuff its not worth my time

plus head shops are plentiful in my area

7. oh yeah, i should have seen bay area, LOL