How to make my grow closet light proof

Discussion in 'Micro Grows' started by thereeferist, Sep 24, 2018.

1. I moved temporarily so I no longer have my access to my greenhouse and so I bought a solid wood wardrobe closet on Wayfair for $300 and converted it into a grow closet. It will work great, I have been able to get the temperature down inside to acceptable levels with a few fans but my wife will not allow me to have it in the hallway if it is emitting any light at all and while I have been able to keep most of the light from seeping out, there are still some light beams here and there. I was thinking I'd buy a grow tent and just staple it into my grow wardrobe. Do you have any other suggestions?

2. Got pics?

• Like Like x 1
  3. No, I don't think I want to fuck with pics right now. My only camera is on my smartphone and even though it's state legal here I still don't fuck with that.

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. Try to paste some mylar like the grow tent. :smoke:

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. I thought about that but I have tried patching it up with black blackout fabric which works great, but there are still a lot of little crevices where light is seeping out. It is a good quality wardrobe closet and I would recommend this exact model to anyone wanting to buy a wardrobe closet to use as a grow closet as it has a lock built into the door, it is large for a wardrobe closet, was easy to assemble, and is made of solid wood so you can easily drill holes for fans, electrical cords, etc.

6. I thought about that but I have tried patching it up with black blackout fabric which works great, but there are still a lot of little crevices where light is seeping out. It is a good quality wardrobe closet and I would recommend this exact model to anyone wanting to buy a wardrobe closet to use as a grow closet as it has a lock built into the door, it is large for a wardrobe closet, was easy to assemble, and is made of solid wood so you can easily drill holes for fans, electrical cords, etc.

7. Okay. But mylar can help reflect the light. So plants can get more light than normal fabric. :toke:

8. This is useless with out pics

9. Mylar is what the grow tent is made out of, so I am using mylar. This will only cost me $50 and it will be easy to set up. I won't be using the metal insides of the tent I will just be stapling it to the inside of the wardrobe closet.

10. Yeah, it is pointless. The grow tent is the way to go anyway.

11. Ya they are convenient...but i want to make my own nice setup out of a large armoire i think thats the way to go imo. Thats why i liked this thread

• Like Like x 1
  12. Go for it. They work great. I'll let you know how the grow tent works as far as keeping the light from seeping out goes. I imagine it will keep 100% of the light from escaping. The armoire I bought a couple years ago cost $320 at the time but has since gone up to $508. The greedy fuckers. Prevost Armoire

13. Oh well on that id use weatherstriping or something similar to get it as light proof as possible

14. go to LOWES and get you 2 tubes of BLACK silicone..and seal your seams with it...and if its your door..then get some thin plywood and line the outer edge all around your door..and put some thin 1''x1/4'' sticky insulation tape..and put that where the plywood meets the outer edge of your door...[[[ the same principle they use on a B-B-Q grills lid ]]]]

if you do that the door may require a '' slide latch '' to keep it closed...

my door has such a tight seal i use 3 latches.

• Like Like x 1
  15. I already have the tent ordered and it is here now. I am going to try installing it tomorrow and see how it goes. If this doesn't work, I'll probably be forced to try something like that but that sounds like a lot more work than just throwing a mylar tent inside the grow closet.

16. the tent should be light proof..once zipped up.

17. The tent idea did not work at all. It was way too big for the closet so I am returning it. I bought some mylar sleeping bags that I will staple into place over the creases. This should work and it will only cost around $4.

18. cool im happpy to hear u got the issue under control...

and on a side note..i had my first bean of many break the soil today...
    im gearing up for a SEA-OF-GREEN grow,using seeds from a past polination i did..

i havent decided if i want to do a journal..allthough it would be a good journal..i recentlly updated and remodeled my grow-room...and took pics of the stages of the remodel...just the pics and the detail of the remodel would be informative

• Like Like x 1
  19. cheaper option to the one who suggested the thin, flat wood: just used cardboard.

I used the black side of some pandafilm for the face of my cardboard, and glued the white side to the carboard.
    Then taped the edges to the inside of the doors/hinges (just around the edges!!!) to allow overlap over the doors. Super easy.

Since you bought the mylar bags, use it instead of panda film, mylar on carboard facing in, back side that seals the cracks just left alone.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Dude go to Walmart get the door insulators for door cracks....that have sticky sides on them you can cut them to size, get the one that best fits the crack(s) and also maybe a little duct tape to really hold it in...make a tight fit. When. I did my first grow I was in a closet I should have bought a door and cusomized it with vents and no light leaks...anyways I made a huge extension of the door way with duck tape ALOT OF DUCK TAPE so when you close the doors no light would leak out the duck tape gets stuck in all the gaps.....I suggest the insulation piece though man lol

Sent from my SM-G955U using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 1