Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

How to make cannabutter?

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by bkburger13, Aug 15, 2012.

1. So ive tried to make cannabutter two times and i have been unsuccessful both times so i was wondering if someone could tell me how to do it and lead me to the easiest way. I do not have a double boiler so anything that works with one pot or a mason jar is good. Or if you can fix the way i did it it that would be great to.

What i did was put water in a larger pot and put that on the stove and i got a mason jar and put chopped up weed it in that and i put it in my grinder and put some butter in there about just one stick and i used about 2gs for the first time. And i put the jar in the pot slightly sealed and let it sit for 3-4 hours on slightly boiling and it turned out slightly green but still has some yellow in it. Then i put it in the refrigerator for tommorrow so i went to bed and around 6 in the afternoon i got it out and just tried to spread it on toasted bread. Since the butter was frozen i put it in the microwave for about 15 sec.... Is there anything i did wrong. I didnt eat all the butter too just some of it. Didnt feel like anythin....

Sorry for the misspelling and grammatical errors in a hurry

2. no, never use water...

its pretty simple... I usually never make single servings, i make entire batches of budder

i break down the budder so I know how much weed is in every tablespoon of budder once im finished so I know how potent things will be

first weigh your weed

then figure out how many tablespoons of butter you have, then divide... this gives you a round about potency...

then if your recipe calls for 3/4 of a cup all you have to do is figure out how many tablespoons in a cup and reduce by 1/4 and you have potency...

I know I need one gram a day when smoking... so as long as my portion contains one gram im good...

how to make budder....

its pretty simple... I put butter on the stove... in a pyrex dish... wait for it to melt and reduce the heat so its barely boiling... more or less just hot enough to melt the butter... and use a butter with lots of fat

then I decarb my bud(this might need to be done first) it should almost turn to powder in your fingers... and I grind it up really good and dump it into my butter

I let that sit on the stove for 30 minutes.. just sitting in hot butter...

then I put my pyrex dish back in the fridge to solidify again... i let that rest overnight

the next day I re-heat my butter and strain the weed out of the butter using a potato press lined with cheesecloth and squeeze all the butter out of the weed...

I strain the butter back into its original container and put that back in the fridge...

once its hard I can use as I want knowing I need a tablespoon to get me lifted

budder

this works for me

3. Alright but what exactly did i do wrong you said dont use water but all i did was fill the pot up with water and put the weed and butter in the mason jar?

4. How much do you smoke a day?

5. [quote name='"bkburger13"']
    Alright but what exactly did i do wrong you said dont use water but all i did was fill the pot up with water and put the weed and butter in the mason jar?[/quote]

You did it completely wrong

6. I used 1 stick of butter and 2gs of weed...
    No i didnt decarb it, but what does that do to the weed

7. Fill free to elaborate..... not helping much

8. [quote name='"bkburger13"']
    I used 1 stick of butter and 2gs of weed...
    No i didnt decarb it, but what does that do to the weed[/quote]

I need one gram to get high in a sitting....I would need half your butter to get high....or four tablespoons

9. alright i ate half of it still nothing

10. Decarbing......it's super duper dry weed , more or less, and it prepares the weed for consumption.....you need to google this part to grasp it....do not use a microwave on bud, ever....

Bad kitty would kill me for my over simplified answer......so use google and research

11. [quote name='"bkburger13"']
    alright i ate half of it still nothing[/quote]

Also.....some people never get high off edibles....it just happens....no one can explain it

12. [quote name='"Tihspeed"']

Also.....some people never get high off edibles....it just happens....no one can explain it[/quote]

The first several times I consumed medibles, nothing happened, except a minor stomach ache.

Then one glorious day, I ate Matanuska zucchini Bread, with Perma Frost Butter. It was very yummy. 45 min later, I forgot my name, I was wrecked..

Anyhoo, I was going to give a lil advice, but Tihspeed got it covered. . :)

I don't want to confuse you with another method. His is a foolproof way. :)

13. feel free the more ways the better also could you tell me how to decarb

14. #14 MrWeeds, Aug 15, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 15, 2012
    [quote name='"bkburger13"']
    feel free the more ways the better also could you tell me how to decarb[/quote]

I don't decarb.

Here is what Decarboxilation is.
    the following is copied from cannabischris.com

When the cannabis plant is freshly
    harvested, most of the THC found within
    the resins on the buds and leaves, is still in
    it’s non-psychoactive form called THCA.
    THC(A) has little to no psychoactive effect
    on humans when consumed. This means, if
    you picked a fresh “bud” from a female
    cannabis plant, and ate it, you would feel
    very little to zero “high” or psychoactive
    feeling.
    To get cannabis that is psychoactive when
    consumed, the THC(A) must first be
    converted into THC.
    In order to convert THCA into the
    psychoactive form we all love, called THC –
    cannabis must first go through a process
    called decarboxylation. This process
    usually takes place naturally in the drying
    and curing stage, but may also
    be achieved when the material is brought
    to a temperature of at least 122 degrees.
    After about 15 minutes of 122-145 degree
    temperatures, THC(A) will be converted to
    active THC throughout the resin containing
    areas of the plant.
    Temperatures to note:
    At 102 degrees, virtually all of the terpenes
    found in the cannabis plant will begin to
    evaporate off, along with most of the
    smells produced by those terpenes. At this
    point you should begin to smell a very-
    strong cannabis aroma. Many terpenes are
    lost at temperatures as low as in the high
    70′s.
    At 122 degrees, THC(A) begins to lose it’s
    carbon molecule during evaporation. This
    converts the THC(A) into active THC, making
    the material psychoactive and ready for
    consumption.
    At 150 degrees, CBD begins to melt and
    evaporate. Temperatures above 150 will
    result in loss of CBD’s.
    CBD’s, while non-psychoactive in nature,
    are said to be responsible for many of the
    medical effects of cannabis. They have been
    shown to relieve convulsion, inflammation,
    anxiety, and nausea, as well as inhibit
    cancer cell growth.
    Any preparation of cannabinoids being
    used for an above condition, should not be
    heated above 150 degrees during the
    decarboxylation process, as you
    will diminish the amount of CBDs in the
    end product.
    Decarboxylation rapidly takes place
    at approximately 220 degrees, however; as
    stated above with CBDs, different
    cannabinoids have an evaporation point of
    between 150 and 392 degrees. This means,
    heating these constituents past their
    evaporation point will cause them to
    degrade, or to be lost completely into thin
    air.
    THC starts to evaporate at approximately
    360 degrees, and completely boils at 392
    degrees.
    Meaning, that baking products like
    “medibles” at a temperature above 350
    degrees, may also destroy some of the
    psychoactive effects.
    Therefore, it is my opinion that – the most
    medically effective preparations are those
    that have been made with either naturally
    cured cannabis (3 weeks time or longer), or
    those that have been decarboxylized at
    temperatures between 122 and 149
    degrees Fahrenheit as to keep all of the
    cannabinoids and other beneficial
    constituents in-tact.

*edit*

I make my budder with fully cured bud/trim, so it is not needed imo.
    If I were to use fresh bud/trim, I would decarb.

15. Your method is good. You did not use water in your butter. You used the water as your heat and it didn't touch the water. You're ok there, but you do need to decarb your weed, especially if it's fairly fresh but can't hurt at any age. It activates the thc so that it is available to be absorbed by your body, like the flame does if you're smoking it. Put it in a 220 F oven for no more than 30 minutes, until it's crunchy dry. But you do need more weed in your butter. You were using 2 grams for a half cup of butter (half cup=1 stick). If you made 20 brownies or cookies, each would be 1/10th or 0.1 gram. You would probably need to eat 5 for a good buzz or make 5 big, big ones and eat 1.:D

Also, if you have a meat or candy thermometer, make sure the internal temp of the butter in the jar gets to at least 170F, but no more than 220F.

16. I also don't de-carb..... I should have mentioned that, but I use cured bud....and it's home grown, so I know how long my stuff has been on a shelf

I also feel its not needed, but the info expressed by the pros says it does, so go with the flow

17. [quote name='"Tihspeed"']I also don't de-carb..... I should have mentioned that, but I use cured bud....and it's home grown, so I know how long my stuff has been on a shelf

I also feel its not needed, but the info expressed by the pros says it does, so go with the flow[/quote]

I have sorta put you up there as one of the GC pros. :)

Learned tons from your journal.

18. [quote name='"MrWeeds"']

I have sorta put you up there as one of the GC pros. :)

Learned tons from your journal.[/quote]

Wow, thanks.....I just try to repay GC for everything I've taken

Glad you read my journal and its a big deal to me to always try and pass correct and helpful material along

I really liked your contributions to this thread....

19. Awesome info. Well done.