How-To : LST (Low Stress Training)

Discussion in 'Plant Training' started by DierWolf, Nov 9, 2006.

1. LST works indoors and out. That plan would work fine, just remember you will want to tie not only the main stalk but the branches as well, out from the main stem.

2. You tie down side branches to the main stem, or to the hanger?

And an additional question, where should I cut leaves off if they are getting in the way of other plants' light?

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. I have 2 seedlings I want to LST. Is there any reason I can't use a piece of chicken wire or some other mesh like used in SCROG and place it over the plant at a very early age and let the plant grow through it? This would make many tie down points.
    Could a piece of chicken wire be used like this and weave the top in and out of the mesh as it grows?

4. there would be no reason you couldn't do that as long as you have room. Why not just do a SCRoG? in fact, What you would be doing is a SCROG.

5. With a SCROG the mesh is placed a foot or so above the growing medium and only the tops are allowed to grow through. This would allow the entire plant to grow through the mesh so the mesh sits on top of the 5 gallon bucket. This mesh is then used as points for tie downs but I am seriously thinking of trying to weave the top of the plant in and out of the mesh as it grows instead of it being tied down. Not real sure how much stress this will put on the plant.

6. I haven't realy read the full thread yet but i have glanced at it. I'd just like to point out a little fact that seems to be recorrent.

LST works in 2 ways:

1 - More light comes to the internodal meristems (the daughters of your plant) so they grow better, giving you more main colas.

2 - In every plant, the main meristem (the group of cells that grow) is always the highest. This meristem (i really don't know another word for it... sorry) will also be the one producing more hormones and these will, in turn, reach the secondary meristems in the lower branches and control their growth (decrease their growth). However, when a plant looses it's main meristem, the one just below it becomes the main in time. During this time all meristems grow at the same speed, which makes the plant bushier. When you cut down what will be the main cola, all the rest develop, but you really don't have to... The process is controled by gravity. Like i said, the highest is the main so all you have to do is LST it down lower than the rest. This will brake the "apical dominance" of the main cola and stimulate all the others to grow. Eventually, one of the other meristems will take it's place but if you follow Dire's directions and LST the secondary branches, no apical dominance will be established and they all grow as fast as they can :) If you don't cut down the top of the plant you won't loose a cola AND the plant suffers less stress.

Hope this explains why you shouldn't top your plant...

Cheers

• Like Like x 1
  7. Well I tried LST on three of my plants, and this is how it's looking so far. I know It's not perfect LST, but my main problem was just getting the plant away from the other ones (they were crowded) so at least that is working. As you can see, one of the daughter stems (I think thats what they are called) is growing up on it's own already, after just less than a week.

Attached Files:

8. For all of you LSTing, what is your method of anchoring the line or wire to your soil or in the ground? Is it just a hook around your stem then pushed into the ground without any real anchor?

Also, since it does require work and attention, what would you say the yield increase is as a percentage? It might be slightly too advanced for me at this point so I don't want to try it unless the increase in yield is substantial.

9. im trying to use zip ties..they will work for the first few times but once it gets a little higher im gona have to switch to string or sumting

10. Those twisty-ties you get on bread-bags or in a box of trashbags work just fine... Or if you can't get ahold of them, use some thick twine (don't want to cut the stems with thin string)....

You can use camping steaks/hooks to actually anchor them to the ground... LST isn't very advanced... Just bend the plant and let nature do the rest :)

11. How often do you have to adjust or add a new hook and string? I have some plants I won't see for three weeks at a time and I would expect it would be long overdue for the next couple hooks.

12. When you tie it down, the tip's gonna grow up, towards the sun... It'll probably be sticking straight up in just a few hours... This is supposed to happen. Once it does this, then grows a new node, it's time to tie it back down.... So you'll wanna be tying it down every day or two - depending on how fast your plant is putting on new growth.

13. Thanks.

For those plants I will only see once every few weeks it's probably not a good idea. Although if they start looking like they will get too tall bending them and tying them down is still probably the best option to avoid detection. I'll play that by ear.

Do people mostly only tie down the main stem or have I been reading people say they tie down or tie back even some of the main branches too? It must really take some would-be beautiful MJ plants and make them into funky looking bitches.

14. You're welcome :)

You can try topping/FIM in order to keep them short and bushy. It will work just fine.

You start by tying down the main stem... This will result in all the nodes growing 2 more grow tips... As these tips grow, you can either let them grow verticle, or you can tie them down and let them grow more tips from their nodes... It's pretty much up to you on that one.

15. should i keep the plant tied down the entire grow or should i remove the ties at some point?

16. Leave them tied down.

17. So I should cut all the fan leaves off until the stem cirlcles all the way around the pot, then when the colas start growing up, just don't cut the fan leaves anymore?
    And where exactly should I cut the leaves off at? How far off the main stem? Does it matter?

Oh and, should the stem remain the exact same height all around the pot? What about the side branches? Same height as well?

Thanks! Great tutorial!

18. is lst possible when growing hydro? and if so, how do you pin it down?

19. ^^ read the whole thread b4 you ask a ? covered 1,000 times in the thread

• Like Like x 1
  20. Genious, man. Pure genious. +rep

cant wait till i start growing...