*How-To*- Low-Stress training your plants

Discussion in 'Plant Training' started by FallenForever, Feb 11, 2008.

1. Hello There guys !

First off I must give all credit to the user: "DierWolf"
    As he has made, a fabulous how-to of lsting your plants. Without his great tutorial, none of us would be doing this. You should check it out its quite amazing !

So anyways, I am going to show you guys how to lst ( low stress training ) your plants. theres not a lot of instructional posts on how-to's especially with pictures and step by step, take a deep breath, and remember...Growing is meant to be fun, dont freak out ! :D

*I HIGHLY* Recommend that you wait until your plants have reached 3 sets of leaves. If you do it before you are at risk of uproot and shocking your little plants. To late and the stock will be too tough to bend, resulting in snaping your plant, and thats never good.

Step 1: Working with what you've got.
    [​IMG]
    I am going to show you with two plants. On the left
    Super silver haze ( Sativa ) and the right Ak-47 ( Indica )
    Mainly the difference in growth is bushiness, and more stalky.

Step 2: Starting you holes,and working out a method.

[​IMG]

Using a hole puncher, punch as many sets ( of 2 ) holes
    around the edges of your pot ( this will differ from each size etc. )

Step 3: Setting the holes.

[​IMG]

Using fly line, I cut pieces of about 4-6'' in length to hold the plant
    down as we train them around the pot. *NOTE* make sure the first string you attach to your plant is longer I did about 9'' so it will fit around and you can pull the plant down to train.

[​IMG]
    Finished product

Step 4:
    Setting stalk holder.

[​IMG]

Using a floss pick, and a cleaned off q-tip,
    I push the floss pick into the hollow q-tip and.
    This makes it so it goes to the bottom of the pot
    so it is sturdy enough not to break.

Step 5: Fixing your plant into position.

[​IMG]

Gradually pushing forward put your plant inside the "U" on the pick
    for it to hold them stem into place so it is at about a 60 degree angle.

Step 6: Tying your plant down.

[​IMG]

Using the longer piece of rope ( or string ) tie your plant down using two of the holes for a loop, so the plant is angled down somewhat facing the ground. it should make somewhat of a rainbow. Remember not to over-pull
    your plant, there still young. Nice and easy always works :D

[​IMG] Plant's finish being tied into place.

Step 7: You have just successfully lst'ed your plant(s)

[​IMG]

GOOD JOB ! we made it.:hello: These plants are ready to go back into the lite
    and start to grow up. As they grow about another 1/2 inch or so, just repeat pulling them down and tying them to the pot. Once the plant reaches back around, you can either start flowering , or train it back around; depending on how long you want to veg for. After you have decided what to do, let your plants grow up for about 1 week and top them. Just use a pair of scissors and cut the top of the plant ( the part that grows new leaves. ) You can choose whether or not to trim leaves off. If you want more buds, this might be the ticket. But some people like to keep them to make hash or honey oil. its all up to you.
    All I can say is, take it slow and don't freak out. Growing is meant to be fun
    so don't get stressed out !

Once again, happy growing and thanks for reading.

:wave:

2. Nice i'm sure the pictures will help alot of people + rep

Remember everyone you can train for as long as you want, you can top or fim whenever you want, just remember in flower plant size will double....
    http://forum.grasscity.com/absolute-beginners/122559-how-fimming-topping-made-easy.html
    And as for trimming i wouldnt do it ever unless sick, especially with lst you already have everything set up perfect to just tie or tuck those big leaves out of your way.

BTW hole puncher is a great idea for plastic pots thanks for the idea.

3. thanks for the comment
    its here to help people :)

4. how big of a pot did you use? 2gal? if you lst it all around wouldnet the roots get too big?

5. Use 1 gallon for each month of growth. A plant that you want for 8 months should be in an 8 gallon or larger container. The LST doesn't make the roots grow any faster than usual.

6. what plant would you grow in 8 months ? lol
    it is a 1 gal pot.
    and I veg them for 4 1/2 weeks and flower for 11.
    I never need to change pots
    because I dont Veg for more than 5 weeks, which i uslauly would do 8 before flowering
    but I like to lst.
    the roots dont grow any different than normal growing
    this is just training the stem to grow like a vine instead of straight up so a 6 foot plant will only take up like 2 feet.
    as long as you trim the leaves, you should be good
    they wont get to bushy if you do your part
    and dont overwater

Thanks for the comments :)

7. Bro, I was answering the guys question. I flower a lot of plants soon, but I always have 2-4 large, bushy plants too. I currently have some widow and gdp clones which I intend to use as mothers, and they are being trained, and eventually (before I replace them in about 10 months) they will be flowered. :) Nice post though.

8. oh hahah im sorry man. I was like wtf ?

ya they are going really good !. the pre flowers are starting to show
    about 2 more week and I will switch to flowering and then walla !
    I trimmed off all the fan leaves since I want all the energy on the buds themself
    it will be a lot better in the end
    the plants are very green and they have 8 leafers now :)
    always a fun sight

thanks again for the comment

9. would it be possiable to low stress train a plant around say a pricker bush? that way it is disguessed with the other plant?

10. it's possible. would make hell for getting in there and trimming though, OUCh! :p

this brings back a memory of the "three sisters"

Native Americans would plant squash, beans and corn all in one spot/mound. don't remember the whole purpose, but mostly to replenish needed nutrients. symbiotic(spl?)relationship.

OP, great thread!!