How to kill time at work?

Discussion in 'General' started by Mogwai, Sep 12, 2012.

1. #1 Mogwai, Sep 12, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2012
    So I work in a warehouse (started this week) doing shit that requires no thought... or really any mental activity for the most part of any sort. It's just bailing boxes, unloading boxes, or stacking boxes, for 10-12 hours a day at 50-60 hours a week.

I've never done this sort of work before and it's kinda weird because at previous jobs interacting with people was how I killed time, and now that's not an option. And I can't listen to music because you constantly have to keep both ears out for people driving equipment by you or supervisors hitting you up on the radio. And any sort of drug is out of the question because you really do have to be super attentive to not get hurt some how, and the smallest injury results in a drug test (I couldn't pass), and the supervisors even check for minor injuries at the end of shifts.. so yeah... I absolutely cannot risk getting hurt. Even showing up high is 100% out of the question.

All that said, I'm asking for ideas on methods to kill times. Doing the same shit for hours on end makes time go so goddamn slow. And without people, drugs, or music I'm at a loss. Hehe I've been spending time thinking of how I'll spend my next check or things to write about and post online, but those topics wear thin. Any more lasting ideas to kill time in such a dull environment aside from focusing on the work the entire time?

2. Don't look at the clock is the first and best advice I can give you.

Other than that, spend time in your head, problems you would be too busy to think about or perhaps a project you're working on, I dunno aha.

3. lol dude did you just merge two posts? the last paragraph makes no sense for this thread but perfect sense for the depression thread.

4. are you sure that you couldn't go to work high....iv played sport high before and managed to get away with it (even if it makes you feel sick). Like just don't get completely baked just a small skin joint or a few hits and i dont think you would be in danger or much more likely to injure yourself....you said you would fail the drug test anyway so my advice is just smoke a little bit

also is there a reason you are working this job....like saving up for anything in particular. if so then just think of that

5. [quote name='"BlazeLE"']lol dude did you just merge two posts? the last paragraph makes no sense for this thread but perfect sense for the depression thread.[/quote]

I have no idea what happened. o_O.. fixed though

6. As a lifeguard who sat in a chair alone for 8 hours, I would just internally listen to music in a way, and that would pass time

7. Jerk off in the bathroom.

8. as someone already said avoid looking at the clock, just get used to doing your shift in shifts. first few hours go by and go walk around and act like you're doing something, then a few more hours go by and do the same. that's how I managed to get through long ass shifts. don't go in and be like "fuck ten more hours now" think more like, "just a few hours till whatever random time" when that comes and goes you got a few more hours.. if that makes sense to anyone haha

9. Oh baby I can't fucking wait for that bag of Doritos waiting for me in the break room.

Make small goals in your head and accomplish them.

10. this is how you kill time.
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4ihwfQipfo]Alarmageddon - YouTube[/ame]

11. shit man i have no idea! umm maybe make up games or something! that could work