How to keep clones in stasis? (the fridge method)

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by jcj77d, Oct 20, 2008.

1. This technique, can be useful for a number of reasons. It is possible for very small scale cultivators to grow without the use of mother plants. It is also possible to hold males in reserve without wasting space or worrying about dropped pollen. It all involves your standard kitchen refridgerator.

The crisper drawer and a ziploc bag provide a suitable stasis chamber for a fresh cutting for upwards of EIGHT weeks. In order to obtain this sort of longevity in the fridge, the bag containing the dry, unrooted branches should be opened to breathe at least once a week.

Clones kept in the fridge this way actually root faster than non-fridged clones once they are removed-- up to a point of 2 or 3 weeks, when they will take longer to root and you may lose a few. When they are removed from the fridge to be replanted, be sure to recut the stem with a fresh X-acto blade or scalpel.

Holding clones in "fridge stasis" offers many new possibilities for testing many different males, holding strains while evaluating, changing the way you time your mothers, etc.

2. wow thats really good to know, i may try that out on a few of the cutting when i take clones in a few days. have you or has anyone else done this and seen it work first hand? I love the idea of it!!!

3. im going to give it a try on friday when i clone my plants.

4. wow.. never knew this... great to know though!!!

5. ive never known this either, & always get ?'s on how to keep clones for future use, & found this. let us know how it goes, keep us posted.

6. has anyone tried this????? would like an update to if it worked if anyone has

7. I've been doing this as standard operating procedure for years. The original post reads like the old OG FAQ. IME, 4 weeks in the fridge is typically fine, 6 weeks is iffy, and 8 weeks isn't common.

Simon

8. Most interesting. I would have thought that the cutting would suck air into it's veins and slowly die.

9. Simon could you tell me the process you use starting from after u take the cutting off the plant, everything u do until u shut the fridge door, hope that dont sound cheeky but you sound like you know what your on about, thanks in advance

10. It's very easy:

1. Cut the clone in any way you like. I use small, sharp scissors and just snip the thing off the plant.
    2. Put the clone into an air-tight plastic bag. I like to use the heavier freezer bags. They seem to maintain their seals better over time.
    3. Before you seal the bag, you can either put a few drops of water into the bag, or just blow into it. The air coming out of one's mouth contains quite a bit of moisture. I blow. That didn't sound right, did it?
    4. Put the bag with the clones into the crisper drawer in the refrigerator.

IME, 4 weeks usually fine. The time can be extended, somewhat, by opening the bag periodically (say, once a week) and refilling the bag with air. Did I answer your question?

Simon

11. Simon you are a top bloke and im deffo gunna give it ago, thanks very much my friend :)

12. A google search resurrected this thread:smoking:

I had the same question.

Hey at least I searched before asking:wave:

13. Thanks for the info bro! +Rep

Check out Jackie and Jah in my CFL grow! http://forum.grasscity.com/micro-grows/1182103-hows-first-cfl-cabinet-grow-goinn-jah.html