How to keep away spider mites

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by MyDogSmokesWeed, Oct 18, 2012.

1. Ok, so I'm currently on my first grow and have been reading a lot on everything. Probably been studying this more than I did college. I was just thinking of how shitty spider mites would be, and really don't want them. I've seen various ways, but many of them just seemed like they still got them. I was reading about plants in general recently and found a little article about plants that repel spider mites.

"Coriander
    This herb grows 1 to 3 feet tall in maturity, producing leaves and fruits used in cooking. The small, ball-shaped seeds are ground or crushed to season foods. Coriander repels spiders mites from itself and when planted near other plants that do not repel the mites. Plant around other plants as a hedge or alongside those plants to protect them from spider mite infestations. Dried coriander leaves or seeds may be brewed into a tea to spray over plants for added spider mite protection.

Dill
    A member of the carrot family, dill produces feathery foliage that may reach heights of up to 3 feet. The thin "leaves" of dill are often dried or used fresh in a variety of foods from soups to salads to dips. Dill produces a pungent aroma and repels spider mites when grown as a protective hedge around other plants. Dill also repels mites when grown alongside susceptible plants.

Garlic
    One clove of garlic, when planted, may produce a bulb with up to 20 more cloves. The bulbs also produce long, green onionlike foliage on top of the soil. Garlic is a good neighbor in the garden, growing well alongside most other plants. The fact that the plant repels spider mites and other pests sweetens the pot even more. Plant cloves of garlic around plants you wish to protect from pests including spider mites, beetles and aphids.

Pyrethrum
    Pyrethrum chrysanthemums are a natural insect repellent. Pyrethrum was traditionally used in numerous insecticides, but use has declined due to unwanted toxic effects among humans and animals. However, grown as a plant, Pyrethrum is safe for garden use as a plant form of insecticide. Plant the flowers around borders of garden beds or among garden plants to naturally repel spider mites. This is a general insect repellent also effective against beetles, thrips, grubs, aphids and flying insects across the board."

I was wondering if anyone has ever tried these? It actually makes decent sense that if you grow in a closet you could grow coriander in the doorway as a sort of spider mite gate, and they couldn't get in. Has anyone heard of these before, or every seen this type of thing?

2. That's really interesting. Never would have known