How To: Install a Powerstrip to your PC Power supply unit for a Stealth PC Case!

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by MushuHappiness, Oct 9, 2007.

1. Hey everyone! Mushu hear for another how to for all you stealth computer growers!

In this one i'll show you guys how to keep your computer looking stealthy by being able to plug that PC Power cable into the back of your computer by installing/connecting a powerstrip to the back of your PSU(Power Supply Unit) cover for your computer.

First off... You'll need an old powersupply you can hack apart and tear up. The reason most people would rather have a cut up power supply is because most power supplies take up too much room in your precious PC case. And if your using a regular PSU to power your PC fans.. That PSU can generate its own heat, adding to the temps in your case.

You can find used PSUs on Craigslist.com, Ebay, someone on GC also said their local GoodWill store had PSUs for around 3.50 a pop. Make sure the PSU will cover the PSU hole in your PC.

----------------------------------

This is how the back of my PSU grate, as i call it, looks. I cut away the PSU, took the electronics to an electronic recycle place. Please just dont throw away the guts of your electronics, the gold and other metals used can be recycled! All that I was left with is what you see below.

[​IMG]

The wires to your voltage selector.. Remove those. You dont need them and the Volt selector wont work anyway. Usually the ground wire is connected to the PSU casing, clip that. You should be left with a black, white, green, and one connecting the three prong connector to the on/off switch. It may not be black, mine is blue, but DONT TOUCH THIS!!! This is your hot(positive) wire from your three prong to your on/ff... This is what flows power to electronics when the switch is in the "on" position.

Strip your green, white, and black wires and you'll be left something like this....

[​IMG]

Next, take a powerstrip that you have lying around the house, or go pick one up at practically ANY store... Hell.. I've seen them at grocery stores before lol. You'll want one that has a surge protector, and is in itself, grounded.

Cut off the male end so that you'll have 3 exposed wires. Those should be colored. Black, white, and green. Hot(positive), neutral(negative), and ground(so you dont get shocked:p ).

Strip the wires and leave room for them to be manipulated. You'll end up with this.

[​IMG]

Then... All your going to do is connect the respective color coded wires together using Shrinkwrap. You can find some at your Home De Pot, lowes, sears, or any other hardware store for DIY home electronics. PLEASE USE HEAT SHRINK INSTEAD OF TAPE!!! Heat shrink will prevent wires from being exposed much more effeciently than just electrical tape. Its also easier to remove if you suspect a bad connection in your wires.

There are many different sizes of shrink wrap and they usually have a 2-1 shrink ratio. I had to use both 3/32 and 3/16 as the wires for the PSU grate were thin, but the powerstrip was thick. I first connected the wires using the 3/32, shrunk it with a lighter. Then OVER that for an even better seal, i used the 3/16. You may want to double shrink wrap it for better seals, and so your connections dont come apart easily.

I did not twist my wires. I simply made sure both wires copper cables were straight, then pushed them into one another... Sort of like pushing a straw broom into another straw broom. Then slide your shrink wrap over it ensuring you get all the wires inside. Shrink, and then slide the next layer of shrink wrap over that... Simple.

I ended up with this:

[​IMG]

After I finished all the wires... The back(inside) of my PSU grate looked like this!

[​IMG]

If you did everything correct AND SAFELY!! You should be able to test it out to make sure it works!

PC power cable plugged into the back of the PSU grate... Not plugged in...

[​IMG]

Plugged in and working!! I have a green light to make sure its grounded... I tested by touching... And was nervous, i recommend NOT touching it and just getting a Powerstrip with a surge protector and ground indicator. The red light is the surge protection, its on and working.

[​IMG]

Here is the 2 PC fans connected to the 12v Adapter that I did a little bit ago... The How To for that is also in my sig. Also a 100(27 actual?)watt CFL, plugged into a timer. Look at the pretty lights! :yay:

[​IMG]

And here it all is shoved into my case! Its not all strapped/secured in yet.. Wont do that till i've gotten 2 more fans and put scrubbers on them... Seeds come next week so i need to get started!

[​IMG]

Thats it ladies and gentlemen! PLEASE be safe when playing with electronics, and happy growing!

Peace, Mushu :smoke:

------------------------------------------------------------------------
    EDIT - UPDATE FOR A LITTLE BIT OF SAFETY SO YOU ALL DONT SHOCK YOURSELVES :)

If you've already gone through the thread then im sure you've noticed smokeys post regarding the exposed leads and the safety problem it poses. Heres a quick little fix for that.

First off... After your done heat shrinking your wires together at the powerstrip point.. For added strenght... Use some electrical tape and wrap that puppy up. Also... If your powerstrip is in danger of FALLING to a point where those wires even have a potential of breaking.. You obviously need to do some case rethinking or rethinking in general about how your going to set it up safely...

Here it is wrapped up:

[​IMG]

Also... Make sure your wires that are connected to your switches and your Power cable input are soldered and not just heat shrinked which i think smokey had me confused about...

All these connections need to be soldered!

[​IMG]

Now those may not be able to be heat shrinked but that doesnt mean you cant cover them up to prevent your self from being electrocuted...

All you need is some regular caulk.. Picked up a tube of it for 3-4 bucks at a target none the less...

Cover EVERY inch of metal you see stickin out of those connections that has a wired connected to it.... It doesnt have to look pretty.. Just get the job done right and you can touch it all you want... Although thats not highly recommended still :rolleyes:

Heres the end product...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If you still manage to electrocute yourself after all this??? I think you pretty much deserve to get electrocuted... :poke:

Make sure you cover your leads, and if you get hurt... I take no responsibility for your actions.. This is just information for you all to use... If you've got a better way of doing things... Then by all means.. Post it up your work so we can all marvel... As for me... This suits my purposes just fine. :smoke:

2. nice little how to you got there.. if im not mistaken did i see you on the icmag website posting the same guide or maybe you got it from there with the same pics?

3. Nope... Its me, same guy, same name :) I know some people on here dont always check out ICMag so i thought it'd be better to post it over here also, spread the knowledge :)

4. You're on your way to publishing a great book!

Great work, and I will be using this strategy when I get moved and start building mine

5. if you live in SF the mission and van ness has a computer supply...section? they have decent deals on parts but rip you off on a computer. whos gonna buy a computer at goodwill and pay 250 bux? not this guy...but i digress

6. SurfsUpBrah - 1. LOVE the username haha you near any good surfin territory? 2. Thanks and goodluck on your case :)

7. I know this is an old thread, but I'm hoping someone can help.... I'm doing a power supply exactly like this but I'm wondering if instead of a power strip could I use a terminal block?

I'm basically feeding two fans and a light panel. Long term it could see an aquarium pump...

8. The wires are labeled wrong. The correct labels are Hot and Neutral not Positive and Negative.
    Looks all good besides that bit of semantics. :}D

On mine, I set the voltage selection switch to open and close a second circuit, so that my lights can be turned off independently from the rest of the system.

9. "instead of a power strip could I use a terminal block?"
    You could but it would leave exposed contacts, unless you kept the terminal block itself inside a grounded junction box.
    It might be easier to use the end off an extension cord.

10. and why cant you just plug it in to the wall, having the input side inside the box..?

11. The power cord that connects a PC PSU to the wall isn't like an extension cord.
    The way it connects to the PSU is a different shape.
    One could certainly run a black extension cord into the back of the PC. It would probably go unnoticed.
    Alternately, routing all power through he original PSU connector will give the finished unit a look of authenticity, plus it comes with two switches that are rated for line voltage. It is very nice to have an external switch.

12. I'm bookmarking this page. Gotta say this is straight genius.

13. HOLY COW ITS BEEN YEARS!!!

Just curious if anyone's actually used this since it's been posted?
    Let me know! I'd love to see em!

5 years since the last post.. but still thanks for the compliments ^_^