Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

How to increase CBN, CBG and CBD levels of your cannabis

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by __420___420__, May 12, 2017.

1. Hi,
    I'm new to the forum so not sure if I'm posting it in the right place, but just wanted to post some information to explain why THC levels have increased in recent years and other cannabanoid levels have decreased, and the effect that has had on the suitability of cannabis as a medicine and to give advice on how to increase levels of other cannabanoids. This is not to undermine the importance of THC but to help medicinal users and recreational users susceptible to THC to know how to get both the medicinal benefits from other cannabanoids and to offset paranoia and other negative effects of THC (e.g. with CBD). I'm not sure if people will find this useful as I'm sure many of you may already know alot of this but thought I'd post it anyway.
    A major underlying reason for cannabis lacking cannabanoids other than THC is the illegality of cannabis. Illegality has forced the sale of cannabis to the black market where cannabis is mainly (but not always) grown for recreational purposes, this can affect the cannabanoid profile in two ways; artificial selection and harvest time.
    Firstly artificial selection has affected the cannabanoid profile of cannabis as cannabis plants with high levels of THC are bred together to enhance psychoactivity, so in time levels of psychoactive cannabanoids like THC have increased and non psychoactive cannabanoids have decreased. This has two implications, firstly many of the non psychoctive cannabanoids (e.g. CBD, CBC) have medicinal uses such as treating pain, insomnia, anxiety etc. Secondly some non psychoactive cannabanoids like CBD interact with THC to stabalise the high and decrease the likelyhood of paranoia and anxiety, thus artificial selection has decreased the suitability of cannabis as a medicine.
    Harvest time also affects cannabanoid diversity as on the black market cannabis plants are harvested at a time when THC levels are highest in order to enhance psychoactivity. If cannabis is harvested later, when the trichromes are mostly amber rather than mostly cloudy then the levels of CBN, which is a byproduct of THC oxidation, will be higher. CBN is 10 times less psychoactive than THC and does not appear to cause the same degree of paranoia as THC, and also CBN also has many medicinal uses, particularly in fighting insomnia. Thus like artificial selection, harvesting cannabis early decreases cannabanoid diversity and decreases the suitability of cannabis as a medicine.
    The best way to ensure that your cannabis has higher levels of cannabanoids other than THC is to grow your own. I will explain how to increase the production of 3 cannabanoids, CBG, CBN and CBD. Because certain actions can increase the levels of one of the cannabanoids but decrease another (e.g. harvesting a plant late will increase CBN levels but CBD and CBG will degrade the later a plant is harvested) I advise growing a seperate plant for each of the chosen 3 cannabanoids.
    Firstly in order to grow a plant with high CBD levels choose a high CBD strain. As I recommend growing 3 different plants for each of the 3 cannabanoids I suggest using a low THC strain like CBD Therapy and harvesting when most of the trichomes are cloudy.
    To grow a plant with high CNG levels choose a high CBD low THC strain again like CBD Therapy but this time harvest the plant early when most of the trichromes are clear as CBG is a precurser to CBD.
    To grow a plant with high CBN levels (and medium levels of THC) choose a high THC strain and harvest the plants later when the majority of the trichomes are amber as much of the THC will have degraded to CBN.
    Then simply mix the 3 strains together in a joint so that overall the cannabis will have higher levels of CBG, CBN and CBD and medium levels of THC.
    Although growing is the best way to increase the cannabanoid diversity of your cannabis some people won't be able to or want to grow. There are other ways to increase the levels of the non psychoctive cannabanoids. Firstly hash has higher levels of CBN as during the process of seperating the cannabanoids from the plant matter some of the THC will degrade to CBN. Secondly one can vape a CBD oil, which you can buy legally (at least in the UK), at the same time as smoking hash, so you should get more CBD and more CBN.
    Sorry for writing so much, i hope this can be helpful, if you disagree with anything I've said feel free to let me know. Thanks :)

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. should probably have said for people who just want to read just about how to increase the other cannabanoids in your cannabis and not why most cannabis contains mainly THC skip to the seconds half of the post

• Like Like x 1
  3. Please realize that you __420___420__ just told thee original poster of this thread __420___420__ to basically just get to the point.... maybe listen to your own advice and this would a thread with questions after the original post not a bunch of dumb s***

• Like Like x 1
  4. Is this a high idea?

5. I actually like this cannabis science talk. I did know a lot of this because I tend to geek out on podcasts with and emphasis on cannabis science but it's nice to hear there are others interested. I'm curious. Where do you like to get your latest information on cannabis and the science of cannabis?

6. Hey enjoyed the science talk, I always prefer the high from hash as Im not very tollerent of thc. I looked at alternatives like high cbd strains in the hope of it being more relaxing like hash. I currenttly have some high cbd 14% and low thc 7% og kush cbd auto well cured and its ok but was thinking about putting some of it on the windowsill with the lid off to help degrade the thc and convert it in to cbn. Just want that that full body relaxation wrapped in cotton wool feeling that hash gives u. And not the headfuckery that thc sometimes gives me. Was wondering if anyone has tried it with any before with any strain????

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

8. Unless using a CBD strain, Hash has TONS of THC. Usually around 50-65%. I take BrassNwoods Hallucinating Hash Capsules and get a nice buzz about 3 hours later. It lasts for a few hours then the nap sets in

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. I grow about 6 different 1:1 stains and each has a very different effect. My very favorite is has very long lasting pain relief, unfortunately it keeps me awake. I didn't have any that lasted long enough to age but i would not intentionally choose this strain to try and create more cbn.

I also grow blue dream cbd which has great deep muscle relaxation properties, while not my first choice for daytime use it's not a couch lock strain either. After about a year of proper storage the blue dream cbd now puts me to sleep. It still has the same deep muscle relaxation and great pain relief but it obviously has a significant amount of cbn.

I guess what I'm saying is that you should find a stain that hits you closer to how you like before ageing it. And don't get too focused on the ratio. I recently had a house guest that is a rec only user and their first choice out of all my stash was a 1:1, even over a high thc only strain.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 2
  10. The post wasn't mine but a repost from this site. It was my error, I hit reply but it actually posted the original message. So I said wtf and left I never went back to either correct or do as I am now.
    So here it goes.
    MA is legal, I have serious back Lumbar & Cervical injuries from days long ago. So now that I'm close to 70 they're acting up Bigtime! Surgery will suck because no matter what there will be constant pain due to multiple fusions & metal braces that would be installed and just causing pain from lack of mobility.
    MEDICAL MJ SUCKS because it isn't the same as street, no sedation aka couchlock. Yes the strains are geared towards helping specific things but because of that what I need for sleep Medical MJ is not allowed to be "aged" or subjected to UV to produce CBN. So now legally I am growing my own and was searching for answers and found that post.
    Thank you for some useful knowledge.