How To: Homemade CO2

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by noobman, Oct 28, 2008.

1. Photosynthesis requires 3 things- light, water and carbon dioxide.
    As a grower you provide your plants with light and water why not carbon dioxide as well? Increasing the amount of C02 in the air will increase plant growth and make flowering time faster and increase your yield.

Now there is a few ways to do it I will detail the cheap way here cause that's all I can afford
    Expensive way- CO2 tanks release timers all that can cost $500+
    Cheap way- Fermentation <$5

Equipment:
    - 1 plastic bottle any size (if you don't have 1 of these fork out $2 for a bottle of coke)
    - Sugar or glucose (again should already be around or costs around $2 a bag)
    - Yeast $3

[​IMG][​IMG]

STEP 1
    make a small hole in the lid of your bottle i used scissors
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

STEP 2
    Half fill your bottle with water
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Step 3
    Add as much sugar as the water will dissolve
    [​IMG]

Step 4
    Add a teaspoon of yeast
    More yeast = faster reaction rate replace quicker
    Less yeast = slower reaction longer lasting
    [​IMG]

Step 5
    Cover the hole with your finger and shake it up real good.

Step 6
    Place in grow room slightly above your plants as C02 is heavier than air it will fall down over your leaves increasing the rate of photosynthesis and making your plants grow faster.

If you notice your plants starting to yellow or showing signs of unhealthyness make another bottle with a smaller hole and use less yeast this will slow the production of CO2.

Note to self: learn to use camera.:D

2. so when placing above ur plants, i take it you leave it up right rather then up side down, correct?

3. Yeh if you put it upside down you will have a sugary yeasty mess to clean up :p

4. how effective is this method? since its the first time i've ever heard of it

5. Wont you end up with 7-ten percent alcohol.bottoms up!i have a friend who's done this and he said it is the grocest shit ever but he got drunk.It works for the plants as well.good idea dude.

6. Wow i hope that works sounds a lot cheaper that a co2 emitter. So It dosent matter how much sugar is added? How often do you change out the yeast/sugar mixture?

7. how often do you replace the bottle? Right now have my babies in a fish tank...couldnt i put the top on for longer if there is more co2 in there?thats sweet though gonna try it out now...lol i was thinking of burning a candle in the fish tank for the baby clones but put it at the opposite side of the tank lol

8. How much C02 per hour? I dont think it's a lot.

I just talk to them, get plenty of c02 that way and it's cheaper :)

Hope it works out for you tho..

9. when is the earliest in the seedlings life can you start this co2 treatment?

10. I set two up in gallon jugs. The amount of CO2 it put out was minuscule. Not enough to boost the level more then 200PPM over normal (you need 1600ppm for enrichment). It dropped back to normal levels after three days. Tanks are expensive but effective.

11. The more sugar you add the longer it will take to fully ferment meaning it will last a few days longer. When it stops bubbling usually about 7-10days just refill the bottle and off you go.

Friendly warning it does smell a little bit and it will be made pretty ineffective with lots of ventilation. The more bottles you add the more CO2 you will get and at about .2 a bottle your hardly splashing out.

12. Found this on another forum.

Home Made Carbon Dioxide Tutorial

Well after asking around and finding the simplest methods I came across a real easy way of making home made Co2 (thanks to skunkishybrid and m420) and i've illustrated it aswell, just thought i'd help a few of you out there who are new to this like myself.

When plants photosynthesise to make energy and grow they use Water (h20) and Carbon Dioxide (Co2) plus Light. They use half the amount of Carbon Dioxide to the amount of Water they use so this is alot of Carbon Dioxide if you think about the amount you water them, so giving them a boost of Carbon Dioxide during growth would be an advantage.

So here's my guide on how to make your own little amount of Carbon Dioxide to give your plants the boost they would love.

Step 1.
    Obtain a bottle of any size, preferably plastic and fill it half way with water

[​IMG]

Step 2.
    Peirce the plastic lid using a hot pair of scissor or a pin

[​IMG]

Step 3.
    Make a funnel, either out of some card or paper or grab a funnel from your kitchen

[​IMG]

Step 4.
    Get some yeast, doesnt really matter what sort of yeast as long as it's active.. This only cost me £1.50 Sterling so probebly about $2-$3

[​IMG]

Step 5.
    Get some sugar or glucose, I've used sugar but glucose is cheaper, just get what you can get your hands on

[​IMG]

Step 6.
    Put about 1/5th of sugar to water in your bottle and the same for the yeast, 1/5th, it doesnt really matter so long as you have a decent enough amount

[​IMG]

Step 7.
    Ensure that your water has gone cloudy and remove your funnel and put the lid back on your bottle

[​IMG]

Step 8.
    I've used about this much yeast/suger mix at the bottom of my bottle

[​IMG]

Step 9.
    Cover the hole at the top of your bottle and shake well and continue to shake regularly for the next 48 hours to start off the reaction

[​IMG]

Step 10.
    Leave to stand for a second and pretty much straight the way bubbles should be on the top, this is the Co2 being given off

[​IMG]

Positioning
    The bottles should be ideally placed at pot height, because from what I remember from chemistry Carbon Dioxide is lighter than air, because air contains so much nitrogen which is a heavy (Carbon = 12 atomic mass / Nitrogen = 14 atomic mass) so if place at pot height the Carbon Dioxide will rise into the plants leaves and stem where the photosynthesis occurs

[​IMG]

this is a 3D image of how mine are setup

[​IMG]

Finally
    Hey presto, everytime you want to give your plants a little boost of Carbon Dioxide the cheap way! Just shake up the bottle and stand it next to your beloved plant. For greater Carbon Dioxide production, use a bigger bottle. If no more bubbles are produced after shaking your bottle then it means you need to add more sugar, if no more bubbles are produced after the sugar has been added then more yeast must be added to the solution.

Much lurve.

13. Heh this was an experiement I did in chem a few weeks ago I just left the airlock out. If I'd seen that I would have used his pictures mine are shit and dropped him a reference. I learnt about photosynthesis in bio kinda thought this would have been a cool idea but was beaten to it full respect to the other guy its rightfully his idea not mine.

14. Would you be able to take a block of dry ice, put it in water and let it go to town? Dry ice is Solid CO2 so i cant see why it wouldn't work. The bottle thing with sugar and yeast seems to be a good idea.

Also if you do have a CO2 system in your grow room.. dont stay in there too long.. youll end up dying... honestly its no joke.. 15 in high CO2 will kill you and you wont even know its coming..

15. Yeh dry ice works great down in aus I have no idea where I can get any but its probably a bit more pricey than fermentation. Hell if you have a cooler grow room brew your own beer in there. Mine sits at about 90 degrees so no home brew for me and with the new taxes beers getting a bit pricey :( Good point about the dieing thing although when you open the doors (talking about cupboards) it will disperse pretty quickly to safe levels. Just dont go locking yourself in with your plants over night I no how tempting it is...

16. #16 cork144, Oct 29, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 29, 2008
    if you have good enough ventilation, i doubt theres anyway your going to die from this method.

even unvented i doubt these bottles would kill you, personally i dont think ths method would work very well with ventalation inplace, it probably would help abit, but that co2 is gonna be taken straight out of your cab.

17. Ok the science behind it...

Yeast acts as a catalyst turning the sugar into alcohol and CO2
    The way to measure the hourly rate of CO2 would require you to own electronic balanes and do the following equations.

First you need to record how much of each ingreediant you put in and measure accuratly(not on your bathrrom scales) how much it weighs.

For example.
    50.00g of sugar
    1.00g of yeast
    500.00ml of water
    10.00g container

=516.00g

As CO2 is releaed the weight will drop when your solution stops bubbling (need an airlock to see bubbling) measure the weight again.

I AM MAKING THESE NUMBERS UP FROM THIS POINT

Say it now weighs 514g after 7days when it stopped bubbling that means you have created 2g of carbon dioxide which is 0.29g a day or 0.012g an hour. The increase in ppm is relative to your ventilation size of area and how much fermenting your doing. Buy a device to meaure it if your really concerned I jut thought its a cheap way and I live by the principal every little bit helps.

18. Yeah, that Co2 system does actually work, when the yeast stops reacting with the sugar, you can add more sugar and the solution will fizz up again. But if you add too much sugar you will vinegarize it, you'll have to make another batch. When starting up a new batch, make it 2 days before you are going to dispose of the old one, as it takes 2 days for the recipe to react with one another.
    There was a thread a few days ago about making homemade Co2 http://forum.grasscity.com/general-indoor-growing/285527-co2-question.html

19. Seem like I'm far from the first to think of this application of fermentation and here I was thinking I was a genious:( Oh well hope the picture guide helps somebody.

20. heres an idea that hit me a couple days ago when i saw dry ice containers in the store, it said frozen co2 on the cooler.

Buy Dry Ice, from a grocery store (winn dixie, Wal-mart) etc. buy a small styrofoam cooler, put regular water in it, not hot, and not full, just a small ammount of water

place the cooler next to your pant. pretty simple

i know dry ice isnt the most effective way but im sure it will fill up an entire closet off of 1 lb. so you do that for your plants every now and then, maybe once every 2 weeks for a super co2 dose.. and dry ice isnt the cheapest way either.

to slow the release from the cooler you can put a small hole in the lid and let it leak out of that.