How to handle a Drug Paraphernalia ticket?

Discussion in 'General' started by metaknight135, Oct 25, 2016.

1. So Saturday night my friend wanted to meet up and smoke. I grabbed a bookbag, and put my remaining weed in a jar, a grinder, my pipe, and my papers inside (I wasnt sure whos weed we were smoking, or how it was going to be smoked). So I pick her up and she says shes got rello's and plenty of weed, and rolls a blunt. So we smoke that while I'm cruising around. I realize I'm way too fucking high to be driving, so I park in a dark lot off a small trail. We chill there for maybe 30 minutes when a cop shows up. He asks what we're up to and tells us he smells the weed. So he asks us to hand over whatever it was we had smoked. Since the blunt was gone, my friend gave him her remaining weed in her baggie. He said he would search the car, so if there was any other drug related items, to hand them over now. I handed over my shit from my bag (although he didn't care about the papers). After some time passes, he says he would cut me a little slack for being honest, and he only gave me a ticket for "Drug Paraphernalia" ($350) while disregarding the remaining weed I had turned over. He gave my friend a ticket for "Drug possession" ($400) and then checked to see if I was sober enough to drive (although I never actually said I had been smoking. I only said we went there after it was done). So now I've got a court date in a month, and I'm curious how to handle this? This is my first, and only brush in with the law, so I'm wondering if there is some sort of way I can get this shit taken off of my record? Currently a college student, and I had planned on enlisting in the Navy after I got my masters in Physics. I'm 21 if that helps. I haven't told my parents, but I probably will if I'm forced to get a lawyer

Thanks guys

2. depends heavily upon the laws in your state

3. took place in WI

4. as long as you're under 25, you're eligible to have it expunged if the court agrees to such after you pay your fine, you'll have to make your case.

source

• Like Like x 1
  5. Pay the fine and move to Colorado. Ridiculous to fine for paraphernalia or even simple possession. Contrary to what the police said he wasn't giving you two a break at all.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 2
  6. found this source too, which suggests that it's going to be difficult to get expunged, but may not be considered a crime, although will show up on a background check. I don't know if that disqualifies you from enlisting in the Navy though. My guess is that it wont disqualify you from enlisting, but you may have a hard time getting a high level security clearance if you plan on pursuing a career in the Navy.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Be glad he didn't throw you in jail and pay the fine.

Get a lawyer if you think you can beat it, otherwise theres nothing you can do. I don't think most jobs are going to care about misdemeanors, felonies on the other hand they will care. Not even law enforcement cares about misdemeanors when hiring as long as you are honest and have stopped smoking.

8. Go to the cops house bro...he isn't super human. He sleeps too...

God Bless the Harvest

9. Or just accept the the oppression and tyranny that this government is handing you with a smile:)

God Bless the Harvest

10. What world do you live in where police officers give you their home address so you can contact them after commiting a crime?

11. Goofa.... it's called sarcasm.

God Bless the Harvest

12. Having your record expunged is down the road. Expunged cleans up old records that already exhist not current charges. I've been through the process in order to get my firearms card back.

13. Get a lawyer.