How to grow purple buds?

Discussion in 'Advanced Growing Techniques' started by ego-_-death, Feb 8, 2012.

1. Hey everyone, I'm new arround here, I'm now taking care of 2 little plants and I need some of your help. I've seen this photo, and I'm just wondering how to grow my plants like this one:

[​IMG]

I've read some forums before and some of them tell that you can just get this result with some type of strains, others say that you need to put something on the water?
    Can anyone tell me how to do it, or just give me a link with some "tutorial"?
    Thank you,
    Peace!

2. Genetics is key. Your strain must have the propensity to change color. Aside from that the only other thing is colder night temps. If you could maintain around 55-65 deg at night during flowering, coupled with "purple" genetics, you should be able to. That being said most strains will change color with cooler temps but once again genetics is your main determining factor.

3. 'your signature picture is too funny. i was thinking the same thing...lol!!!

4. I've noticed myself that a lot more genetics than you might think (at the very least) have some hidden, purple pheno... In my latest auto run, 1/10 Maxi Grass-o-Matic just turned really dark purple... same for BC Big Bud and a few others.

All that said, the key is to grow it out longer than the recommended flowering time, as the color changes typically happen late.

Also, purple dye in the water can change the color pretty easily, I think even kool-aid works.

5. kool aid ohhh yeeeeeaaaah! :bongin:

6. what about the blue ones like this:

only genetics, or some treatment like cold temps?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. what about the blue ones like this:

only genetics, or some treatment like cold temps?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Are you after potent bud or colorful bud? These ain't Easter eggs.

If you want bud of a certain color, start with strains that have that tendency. While cold temps might bring out color in some plants, you are doing so by harming the plant. You would turn blue too if left in the cold too long, that doesn't make it a good thing...

9. also just so you know the black light and led"s are not visible in the pic.Most pics are done with smoke and mirrors.

Dont forget a realy nice quality pic of a new strain can net you $$$millions$$$:devious:

10. It has to have the genetics to turn purple in the first place. You can lower temps some at night or water with ice water the last 10 days or so. It's really just an absence of certain pigments because the plant is using them faster than the blue and red pigments. Mix blue and red and you get....you guessed it purple buds. As I mentioned above, the gentics need to be there or you can't.

11. A good flush and plenty of direct light will bring out the colors...but only if you have the right genetics.

12. Genetics dude. You need some high quality seeds and plants that are 'purple urkle - grape ape, grand daddy purp' or similar

13. I just want to add that there's different types of purple...some starts with cold temps and flushing, other purples genetics come to light when they get a lot of direct light..and still other types just grow purple without and environmental manipulation.

Look at something like mossy jem or pakistan citral kush/magenta99 ... those types of 'purples come out as the plants grows and the coloring starts at the calyx as it's forming..most of the other purps start at the edge of the leaf and work their way in, towards the bud.

...btw most of those pics are just 'blue' lighting being reflected..or a weird combo of flash and white balance.

14. I'm gonna re nig my last bit of advice. It's dangerous to the plant if it isn't the genetics doing it. Yes you can add ice water and lower temps but all you are doing is putting it in a state of shock. You could make the argument of purposely stress them in the last bit but that is a more advanced discussion. Get good seeds or clones with good purp genetics and nature will do the rest.

15. And no doubt in my mind the pictures above are photoshopped or under led lighting.

16. here's an example of gdp that's been flushing 2 weeks and receiving cold temps (about 60 during lights out) : 1st pic . This is a good example of when the purple comes from the edge of the leaf and works it's way in...

In the second pic is a mossy's jem (purplejem) it shows a good example of when purple color comes from the center and works it's way out. Strains/ genetics such as this will turn purple without flushing or inducing cold temps: :smoke:

Attached Files:

17. Noice. You could tell the other pics were photoshoped and under led or black light. Those have the distinct purple. You can actually see the red pigment/chloro coming out.

18. thanks man :)

I don't mean to argue or anything...but to me those pics look more like they were taken under MH or a 'daylight' cfl ...either that or that color settings were kinda weird. I can take a pic of the exact same bud as pictured above, and if I put the setting to 'evaluate white balance' or 'auto white balance' and take the pic under an hps, it will give the buds that bluish tone that you see.

I'm not trying to sound like a dick or a knowitall...just trying to spread the knowledge :) I know that as a grower, I don't have time to photoshop pics! lol

19. that pic is photoshoped from bud to branch

20. What do you mean by flushing? Sorry, I'm portuguese and I don't understand some terms :smoke: