How to grow large plants indoors

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Inspiration420, Jan 29, 2019.

1. Why can outdoor plants grow as big as trees in one season and can you grow plants that big indoors? Assuming you have all the right nutrients and a lot of lights what ells would you need. Do you just need some very big pots and good genetics or is there something I'm missing? And would you want to grow the plant sideways with LST? I'm just trying to think of ways I can get the most quantity possible per square foot of floor space if space isn't an issue. And how big of a plant/yield do you think you can get veging a plant for no more than 4 months in these conditions?

2. Start with your lighting since that’s going to be your greatest monetary expense (most likely). It’s OK to try to save money here and there, but it’s not OK to try to go cheap on grow lights. You absolutely get what you pay for.

Plants get so big outside because the sun has the perfect color spectrum ideal for optimum plant growth and nutrition uptake. Plants feed better, heavier, and grow bigger.

So the most logical thing to do would be to find a grow light that is the closest thing to our sun’s spectrum.

Quantum board LED grow lights are the newest tech, and what a lot of successful growers use now. But, HPS is also proven to deliver large yields just like the quantum boards. I guess it’s a matter of preference, really. Well, that, and the cost of your energy bill at the end of the month.

“Tyranny anywhere is a threat to freedom everywhere.” — someone awesome

• Like Like x 1
  3. Space. It’s all about space. If you give me a room with a 20 foot ceiling then it’s game on... I’d veg for a year under 18/6 and grow a full size tree... Literally!
    And lighting like Clyde said but not as much as space.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Space and lots of cheesburgers

• Like Like x 2
  5. 1: Indoor grows are often limited by space and money so outdoor grows have the advantage there.
    2: If you have enough lights and space then given the same amount of vege time you could easily outgrow an outdoor grow. But it will come at a much higher cost.
    3: I would prefer to do SoG method or if you don’t want to run that many plants then mainline with as many tops as you could. The goal is to get a nice even canopy.
    4: The best use of space is going to be SoG. We easily got 2.5lbs off 2x 600 HPS every 12weeks. SoG Perpetual grow. With the new CMH and or LED we get 2.6-2.8lbs but our electric bill is much lower.

• Like Like x 1
  6. #6 Inspiration420, Jan 29, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2019
    Thanks for all the advise. I think I'm going to look into getting some quantum boards. Does anyone have any recommendations for one that would give me optimum lighting for a large space? Also, what do you think would be less maintenance, soil or hydro. I only have experience doing small grow in soil but I'm thinking I might want to do hydro in the near future. I'm wondering how well that would work if I tried to grow some large plants with a hydro setup. Would it be doable or would it take more time maintaining it then if I used soil?

7. Hydro grows larger plants than soil. Unless you can fit a 500 gallon bed in your grow space.

More smaller plants filling the space will yield more than one large one. Plus you get reduced veg time and can sneak 5-6 crops a year if only vegging a month.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

• Like Like x 1
  8. You are not thinking about this quite right when you confuse size of plant with yield per square foot.
    #1. You can grow a monster plant indoors. Maybe even bigger than outside since you have control over light and humidity and pests. However, that is only done as a novelty. Big yield growers don't grow big plants. They maximize their indoor artificial light.
    #2. So if the question is how do I maximize yield then you are right on track asking the same question growers are answering every day.
    #3. In this day and age of cheap light and easy genetics, most average growers are no longer even concerned about yield since any beginner can grow more than he and his friends and family can smoke without even trying.
    But the common methods involve tie down or prune or combination. Growing a bigger plant will probably lower your yield per square foot since much room will be taken up by branches. Start thinking about ways to get more buds exposed to light. Many many methods and some really crack me up.
    But if quality and ease and odd symetrical beauty were any concern I can't let you go without plugging my all time favorite I can never get away from even when I try method of mainlining which you can read all about at growweedeasy, along with the other methods.

9. Can u wait a year for the fruit?

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

10. Hmmm I feel like it’s an opportunity for a Guinness Book of World Records. Nice 1000sq ft warehouse and a shit ton of lights. Muhahahaha

• Like Like x 1
  11. Hold my beer
    hqdefault(2).jpg

12. Yes sir. I’ll just smoke the other 30 pounds I got laying around. That should hold me over...

• Like Like x 1
  13. Hahaha that would be like one of those old horror movies where the plant becomes alive and starts to take over the city

• Like Like x 2
  14. Dont forget outdoors generally vegs for3-4 months and then two month flower in the right climate you could plant in april likely harvest in October
    And you could involve high stress straining

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

15. It's going to be a long year until you get the fruit to sit on

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk