How to grind a whole lot of weed?

Discussion in 'DIY and Homemade' started by Rabble, Dec 8, 2018.

1. What would be a cheap or efficient way to grind a lot of weed.

Currently you can use a big grinder but eventually your hand will start to hurt.

So I'm thinking off putting a hand crank on it, any other ideas or gadgets that you may know that can help you grind a lot of weed?

(Coffee grinders always seem to make it too fine. I thought about slowing down its motor)

Sent from my LG-H872 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 1
  2. How bout one of those meat grinders you can clamp to ur counter...

Maybe...? Lol

• Like Like x 1
  3. I just bought a new coffee grinder for preparing pot for cooking up in oils. I've been using a 1mm test sieve for breaking it down but don't think it's fine enough.

I cook the oil and pot up in a crock pot plugged into a variac so I can push the voltage on the crock pot up high enough to decarb the pot right in the oil and the oil catches all the terpenes etc that would be lost doing the decarb in the oven prior to cooking in the oil. Details in the link in my sig about how I make my cocobudder.

I used the new grinder to grind up some dried Saw Palmetto berries so I could put them in '00' caps to help my ailing prostate and the berries inside are hard as rocks. The inside of the grinder now looks like the surface of a golf ball! I'm amazed it didn't crack the top. Sounded horrible and I should probably use hearing protection.

I'm going to have to crush those hard berries with a hammer or something before putting them in the grinder. After grinding I used the 1mm screen to get small bits out then returned larger bits to the grinder for another round. Finally got enough to do 50 caps but need to re-think my methodology for them. Need it working for pot so will try reducing the voltage with the variac and see what happens with pot. Have lots to process,

We have an electric meat grinder and I'm pretty sure it wouldn't work well to break down your pot. It's just a big screw forcing the meat thru holes and works very well for that but I wouldn't use it for pot. Haven't tried so who knows.

What is it you want to do with the pot you grind?

• Like Like x 1
  4. Buy a coffee grinder N pulse it

• Like Like x 1
  5. That can work but you'll still get a lot of fines. I like the blender to do bulk stuff but then I want lots of fines for extractions.

Kief maker 006.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  6. I broke off 1 blade in my coffee grinder and I pulse it when I do use it,not often.It works better with just the 1 blade but you still have to be careful.I just ordered and am waiting for a new 3 inch hand grinder which is being delivered now.Not fussy on using the coffee grinder but the results are acceptable.

• Like Like x 3
  7. Not a big deal with something like a coffee grinder that you just pulse but makes it way off balance and will destroy the motor pretty quick if used hard.

Anything designed to spin needs to be in balance.

8. I am aware of that so it's just for bud and nothing else and like I said,I pulse it.No problems with it.

It all depends on how I intend to use the bud.

• Like Like x 2
  9. As long as you're aware of the limitations you place on your equipment and can work within it's parameters then it's all good.

There's a lot of confident, yet incompetent, folks that do things like blow up their apartments making BHO that make us all look bad.

New laws in Canukistan here can get you 14 years in the can for making concentrates with flammable solvents. I have a gal of Coleman's Camp Stove fuel I need to run thru my still to get nice clean naphtha to make a shitload of oil out of all that sugar in the freezer. Come and get me coppers! ;)

I distill butane to be able to get more pot processed out of each can. Nothing fancy, just two boiling balls, coil of copper tubing and a deep freezer.

I am well trained and skilled in such endevours so my risk is minimal. Not so with most.

10. When I make my olive oil infusion I decarb 4 oz in my oven without crushing it up or breaking apart the buds.Once it's decarbed I put it all in a "nut" bag,300 mesh,and put that in my crock pot with 2L of cold pressed extra virgin oil.Heat on low setting for 4 hours and lift the lid to stir and press the bag and oil,do that about 4 or 5 times.
    Then let cool down overnight,pressing occasionally.
    A teaspoon is good,I fill a shot glass with warm water about 3/4 full and pour the measured oil into that and toss it back,fast,painless,no taste to speak of.Lick the spoon of course.

So my whole point in this long speech is the fact that I don't grind or crush my bud when making infusions.

Have made tinctures,infusions,brownies,edibles of all kinds,so many things that I forget most of them.Filled pills with the oil but just decided it was faster and easier to just toss back the oil rather than make anything else.

I'm done with my experimenting and now have it down to a science.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Have you checked out my cocobudder link in my sig?

I do it scientifically myself and actually went back to school in my 30s to get a diploma in environmental chemistry. Really helps to come up with DIY solutions that make good medicine using mainly household things.

Just tried a random bit of CBD pot in a Beam's Test and got positive results. Not even decarded but have 5 samples I'll be doing exactly the same so I can better judge how much CBD my plants are producing. The higher the CBD the darker the colour. Good candidates will be sent to a lab to get exact CBD/THC levels.

CBDtest-random2.jpg

Making my own silver nitrate and sodium thiosulfate so I can then make silver thiosulfate and reverse sex on some girls to make fem seed crosses. I could just use the colloidal silver I make but that's a much longer process.

12. If you decarb in the oven first then you can very easily crush the dried bud after decarb.I don't bother since my results of squeezing and stirring do the crumbling for me.
    I just finished doing some that was not heated but left to sit and stirred often.Excellent results.I did the A and B test so I could compare results.Mine heated his not heated,same only different.Same amount got me off to the same degree.
    The 300 mesh bag is a game changer for me,sure beats cheesecloth.No tiny bits.It's the bag you've been looking for.
    I have done butter also ,much messy:)
    So now I'm done and have my system all worked out.

13. The finer the better, as far as I am concerned. The only thing you can't do (well) with powder is roll a joint. EVERYTHING else works better, the finer you grind it.

14. I normally would never use a coffee grinder but if I had to grind up a lot of bud, coffee grinder is the route I would go. I would get one that is really easy to clean and scrape up all the kief though.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Interesting idea!

Can't view your video but would love to.

16. Make pre-rolls

• Like Like x 1
  17. And that is a lot of good info there, appreciate you sharing!

• Like Like x 1
  18. Problem is the Kief, it gets stuck after the grind. Where as in the big round grinderjust let's it fall below.