How to get your first job?

Discussion in 'General' started by Flonkas, Mar 31, 2011.

1. Hello everyone, I am a 19 year old failing at getting my first job!
    I have worked for my uncle since I was 15, however he is now retiring so I need to get a job.
    I have no "on the books" experience and mostly everywhere requires experience ><

Everytime I go to apply somewhere, they tell me they dont have paper applications, and I should apply online. Now 2 weeks later I have applied to many places (online). Now what?

2. I'm sort of in the same situation as you minus the whole first job. But what people have been telling me is to call back the places asking for the manager and ask them if they have received your application and see if they want to arrange an interview. GOod luck! finding a job sucks! :)

3. Online applications have completely killed the personality aspect of applying for a job, such bullshit.

Well, I imagine you probably aren't applying for some kind of highly skilled position so I say embellish it a bit. Normally I would say that that is bad advice, but if you are applying at like Home Depot or Wal-Mart or something like that, fuck it, why not?

4. good luck to you also!
    california has one of the highest unemployment rates :(

5. Ive embellished it a little ;)

I still cant even get a single call :mad:

I mean, I know there are 40 year olds applying for teen jobs these days so how the fuck can I get the job if the employers could pick an old responsible lady with experience

6. I feel you man, I have been having trouble too. But no paper applications? Thats lame. The only thing you can do is apply at as many places as possible and hope for the best, in this troubled economy.

7. Offer to work under the table (For cash). Tell no one and avoid paying our government
    over 25% of your paycheck to appease the 14 trillion dollar debt.

8. snagajob.com
    ^^^^^^^^^^
    Go there
    and dude, don't just call after you the apps in
    go in and ask to talk to a manager.

sad part is like 89% of the worlds jobs drugtest nowdays, so. yeah

9. I'm 20 and have not had a problem finding a job since I was 14 working at subway. Its just a numbers game, keep applying. But what I usually do when I want a job is look real sharp. No one wants a bum to represent a company. Have a resume, this is the easiest part. A resume is up to interpretation. I worked for my father for 2 years basicly doing nothing. On a resume I was the owners assistant, I negotiated prices for jobs and increased revenue, I drove work trucks. Its all word play in my opinion. I'm not saying lie, I'm saying use your imagination.

And don't underestimate a fake smile, kissing ass and a little bit of charm.

10. Im trying to find my first job at the moment too. My mom is really getting on my ass about it not even letting me take my car anywhere. She expects me to find a job on craigslist but she doesnt understand how many people go up there looking for work. An 18 year old with no previous job experience cant possibly land a job online.

11. Ill go there after this bowl. oh and Im going to do the synthetic urine thing so Im not worrying about the test.

very solid advice.
    I dont have a resume but I am gonna make one now. And I will deffinantly perk up my personality a bit to seem more friendly. Thanks

Same. My mom has been getting on my ass also. They dont understand that its not as easy as it was when they were kids!!

12. The enconmy is in the trash and will continue to be there until our gov comes to realize that without manufacturing in the US we will never be where we once was.
    Now aside from that, your still young, hell and you live in Cali. Personally if I could go back 10 years I would prob move to the west coast and get involved in the cannabis industry.
    Back onto my original thought. If college isnt for you look into a trade school. Or call around your local trades to see if they will hire you as an apprentance. Even take a few classes. Welding, machinist, CNC operator/ CAD/CAM programmer. Just a few.

13. are you mexican lol

14. Back when I was getting my first job, the most important things in obtaining one was having reliant transportation, experience in the form of either education, extracurriculars, or family jobs (so if you can figure out how to word the thing with your uncle, you can still put it on your resume even if it is under the table)... and I guess you have to 'not be you, be who they want'. I always looked at it like I had all the time on my own to be myself, so please the bosses with giving them a personality they /want/ in their workplace (team worker, efficient, cares about doing a good job but also obeys the management, etc.)

I don't know if it has changed though, I haven't had a job for a year since I've been at college extra-full-time.

15. Knowing people helps a lot. Do you know any friends or family that could at least put in a good word about if they know of any job openings?

Definitely call back places, too. Do everything you can to at least get an interview, and then rock that interview! Even if they don't hire you, they might have connections and such. Someone also told me that even if you don't have the requirements they ask for, apply anyway. I mean, unless it's something extreme.. but if it's being bilingual or something, still apply.

Also, check out if there's any job connect type places in your area that can help you find a job.

16. Temp agencies are nice too. and don't let job requirements stop you from applying, hell if they say no your in the same boat your in now! I've applied and got jobs that required degrees, you can do it just stay on the hunt.

17. Go work for a collection agency. All you do is talk on the phone and get paid $11 an hour and they don't require any experience.

Or go work at Wal-Mart for minimum wage.

18. Good advice here. Are you good with your hands? Do you like operating machines (of any kind really)? You could call around at various shops such as machine shops, welding shops, etc. They might hire you as an assistant having you sweep floors and clean machines. If you get that stuff done and show interest, someone will probably give you a chance to run some machines and train as an apprentice.

I'll tell you, nothing makes time go faster for me than working on a lathe. They might put you on a machining center doing a simple job. Running a machining center can be easy. What you need to know is how to set up the part and press the start button.

There are certainly jobs in manufacturing if you don't mind starting from the bottom and getting your hands dirty.

19. #19 Feel Good Inc, Apr 1, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2011

Truth...all the hours spent in CAD/CAM, workin with the HAAS VF4, or any of the Bridgeports or lathes, Hell even on the surface grinder...back n forth back n forth makes the day go by quick...awesome when your stoned lmao. :smoke:
    But dont limit yourself to machine shops. Your in Cali the epi-center of car culture. Look into any custom car shops, alot of them have machine shops on location.

20. call them up or go up preferably and tell them you placed an application online and you're curious if they still need help.
    gada let them know you really want the job :D