How to get through 12 hour work day - PART 2

Discussion in 'General' started by Spark It29, Apr 1, 2013.

1. As some of you may know, I sometimes come on here and bitch about my work. And most recently, I posted about how they made me work a 12 hours shift from 10am to 11pm. But now....they've gone one step further.

I got an alert from facebook saying that I've been tagged by a manager on the facebook page of our work. Great. I look at it and I'm scheduled 12:30AM to 7:00AM. Yes, I work at a children's entertainment facility that sometimes has an overnight event (but its not common, its like 6 times a year.) But that's not the worst part. I was ALREADY scheduled from 4PM to 11:30PM. So now I have a grand total shift of 15 motherfucking hours, working from 4PM all the way until 7AM. I've already made up my mind that I'm not going to do this. This is utter bullshit.

Now, I'm not on here bitching about my work hours (ok..yes I am), but the main purpose of this post is "Is this even legal?" When employees give their availability, they DO NOT mention or ask if you are able to work overnight shifts. I wouldn't have as much of a problem if they actually asked if we can work them. But no, they purposefully make almost every person working the overnight also have a closing shift for when we actually close.

So in Illinois, is this actually legal? Would I actually have to show up for a 12:30am to 7am shift for a job that has regular hours of 10am-11pm without even asking if I could work it or not?

2. They can fire you for nothing if they want to. Illegal doesnt mean shit anymore

3. lol man now i know why i dont have a legit job..:p but its not even that bad . it dosen't sound mentally or even physically draining. try landscaping or babysitting for 12 hours.

edit - oh yeah and go talk to those mother fuckers not us bro lol

4. I'm not asking anything about being fired. I'm asking, can they actually schedule people to work from 12AM to 7AM without even mentioning or asking if we are able to?

5. #5 Spark It29, Apr 1, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2013
    The thing is I don't have a valid excuse for not working it. I just don't want to. I feel like I'm going to be completely shut down if I go in there saying I just don't wanna work it.

EDIT: I didn't realize you mentioned babysitting. I work at a CHILDREN'S facility. Like a Chuck E Cheese, but way bigger. An outside park, rides inside. Every Saturday we have HUNDREDS of kids. I operate rides, and I'll tell you now that from my 4-11 shift you won't get a single break from kids standing in line waiting to go on.

6. why not go get that money man?your not doin shit other then kickin it or sleeping otherwise lol.

thats how real jobs work. you work when they say lol.even if u have a valid excuse they are still going to look at you like u just called in sick all fake-like. just go work or quit ur job theres no epic lawsuit or something u can do.

7. I worked a job for just under a year doing produce. I use to work 90-110 hours a week. If you dont like working long shifts why not simply talk to your manager? Or find a different job

8. If its getting worse and worse start looking for another job if this is one is so bad?
    Or maybe sit down with your manager and talk it out?
    Good luck man!

9. If they maybe paid us overtime or some shit, but they won't even do that!
    Is that legal too by the way??

10. Employer Has Changed My Shifts: What Are My Rights?

11. Try working in 20 pounds of gear (duty belt, bullet proof vest) walking/running to calls, fighting people, getting spit at, etc for 12 hours.

It's mentally and physically draining. On top of that, it's 2 days and 2 nights, 7 to 7.

The other day some Irish dude who I had to handcuff spit blood in my face, and he had hepatitis b, HIV and MRSA

Omega369 :wave:

12. Dude... stop being a little bitch. If you can't handle the hours, just quit. Someone else will gladly take the work.

I bust my ass in a factory and very frequently am told at the end of my shift that I need to also work 3rd shift (I'm only "scheduled" for 2nd). Not to mention when I'm called in the morning and asked to come in 4-8 hours early to cover 1st shift. And I go to school for engineering on top of that (plus the hour long commute to and from work). However, I know many people who work far more than I do and/or have a family to care and provide for as well. I'm just using myself as an example to show that what you're experiencing really isn't abnormal (or worth crying about).

Sorry for a mini rant, but I just get annoyed when people come here and bitch about their job. Be a bit more grateful for what you have... part of the reason this country is doing so poorly economically is because nobody wants to put in the hours. Instead, we expect "other" people to do the dirty work while we sit on our asses and somehow rack up the bills, yet it doesn't work that way.

As for the legality of it, I think it depends on the state and your scheduling. Since I'm scheduled for a minimum of 40 hours a week, my employer won't let us work more than 12 hours straight for legal reasons. The workaround is that we need to punch out for 30 minutes, then we can continue working.