How to germinate?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Suburbanman, Jan 27, 2013.

1. What's the best way to germinate seeds

2. Wet paper towel. Make sure you store in a dark place. Check every day to ensure paper towel is wet. Not soaked.

3. Be careful with this method during the winter time, I have a 100% germination rate but I have gotten the fungal disease "damping off" every single time this season. This is more common when germinating before planting, because the cool temperature + lack of light + humidity is a perfect breeding ground for fungus. Damping off is when fungal spores attack the tissue cells midway up the stem, causing the seedling to fall over limp, then die.

[​IMG]

Good luck germinating, I've had this issue for several months now, I'm waiting until it warms up a bit to start more seeds personally, but if you can ensure a proper environment then you should be fine.

4. Put the seed in a pot filled with dirt, keep moist and harm. Been as close to 100% as anything else in my life. Keep the light on to help things stay warm and apparently potentially prevent damping off. I personally don't use humidity domes either, I wonder if that has helped me.

5. When you plant the seed with a taproot you want that pointing up or down towards the soil?

6. If you already have the taproot sprouted put that gently downwards in the soil, then firm the medium gently so it's in there nicely. And definitely do not use a humidity dome for seedlings, only for cuttings. Seedlings + humidity dome will definitely cause damping off, I learned that the hard way this season.

7. Is planting it better than germinating? Should I use cfl or my mh light

8. Wow. Helpful info. Even to me, thanks!!

9. From experience, metal halides are closest to replicating sun. Most watts and PAR rating. I've been in the aquarium industry and work with these lights every day. The downside to metal halide is the heat and use of power. Although CFL are more efficient with power, they're still hot.

10. I'd second this method, i've always used it and have around and 80% success rate with it. If yoiu're not sure how to do it there are plenty of videos available on the net.

11. Yeah I get about 90%. Losing 10% because let's face it. I'm a pot head, I forget to keep em damp. :p

12. Yeah, i know you're pain. Never a good idea to smoke and germ. :smoking: Definitely the best method though, not sure why you'd choose any other way.

13. I don't like to pot them in soil, especially with miracle grow or some shit they almost always die. You never know what your growing in