How to germinate seeds

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by MasterMind24, Jan 17, 2013.

1. Hi IM new to growing and need help I got a couple seeds I found in a bag and just want to try to get them to sprout what should I do

2. First, let's make sure that your seeds are adequate for growing. Any white seeds are of no use. They must be brown with black dots/stripes to grow properly. Secondly, is this going to be an indoor or an outdoor grow? There are stickies in this forum for both kinds. Generally, you can: plant them in appropriate soil 1 inch deep & water it then wait a few days for a sprout, or put them in a cup of water for 3 days until they sprout or sink then transfer to soil. Also, you can put them in-between a couple of damp paper towels for a few days (make sure it stays damp but not waterlogged). For the last 2 methods, they must be done in the dark away from light sources.
    I highly recommend you thoroughly study growing because it only gets more and more complicated as you go on. GC is the best place to learn from. I spend a lot of time in the indoor cultivation sub-forum, even though I am well-versed in the art of indoor growing just to brush up on the newest techniques.

3. Thanks so much man

4. If u use the damp paper or the glass of water take care because the little root that appear is very easy to broke.If are going to grow indoor I think is fine to put direct in the soil.If u want to put the seeds outdoor direct in the soil(not recomendate) be shure they have enaught moisture

5. I use oasis. I squish my finger into the little hole making it a bigger hole. I drop my seed in and fill the hole with dirt. I place it in a plastic bag or a covered sprout tray.

When my tap roots start too appear I plant the whole thing as is. This also works with the peat cups.

6. I use vermicompost which affords seeds biological protection from pathogenic zoospores, unlike sterile starting mediums.

Drop the seed into the pre moistened soil, and mist it down gently (pouring water on soil will cause the seed to float to the top). Wait 3-7 days and let the magic happen. rh/temps around 85/85 work good and cool flourecent light at first

7. #7 bionecrosis, Jan 19, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 19, 2013
    Well is fine,this is good choice,because root get easy oxygen.Be shure after planting do not use alot of water on first stages.Good way to prevent mold and bacteriums is put the seeds in soultion 1:1 water and bleach.U need to reach 9 PH.Keep the seeds 10 minutes after that wash them good and put them in the soil or whatever.

8. Thanks for the info you guys this is good stuff

9. Rapid/riot rooters! FTW! Little sponges inoculated with pure goodness for the best start in life! Also allows you to choose your media after germination like the paper towel but with added micro nutes. Lets ya see what's goin on too, vs just sowing in soil. Seedling heat mat, or ontop of a cable box are ideal temps for seed starting.

10. I only ever use peat pucks. Soak them, get them nice and wet and squishy, make sure there are no dry chunks left. Gently squeeze out the excess water. Make a little hole with the tip of a pen or something, about 1/4" deep. Put the seed in, tamp it gently into place, then cover it with a little bit of the peat.

Warm temps are better than cold; around 80F is great. Humidity is good, up to around 50% or so. Check the pucks a couple of times of day and keep them moist, but don't let them stand in water. Once your sprout is up, keep checking the bottom of the puck for the taproot to poke out. Once it does, it's time to transplant; just put the whole puck into whatever size pot you want to finish in. If the seedling has stretched, go ahead and bury the stem up close to the leaves. I like to transplant only once; less stress on the plant.

For the life of me, I will never, ever understand all of this paper towel thing, and handling a fragile sprout with a naked root. Your seeds are either gonna sprout or they're not, and if they don't, it's most likely 'cause you fucked something up.

I think that far more plants are killed by nervous nellies who can't resist fiddling than due to any other cause.

DSCN1560.jpg

11. Germinating and Planting Seeds
    To germinate, seeds need moisture, warmth, and air (oxygen).

Moisture
    Soaking seeds in water allows moisture to penetrate
    the protective seed shell within minutes.
    Moisture continues to wick in to activate the
    dormant hormones. In 24-72 hours, hormones
    activate and send signals to produce a small white
    rootlet (radicle).
    Moisture is critical now. There must be a
    constant stream of moisture to transport nutrients,
    hormones, and water in order to carryon
    life processes. For best results use distilled water.
    Letting germinated seeds suffer moisture stress
    now will stunt seedling growth.

warmth
    Cannabis seeds grow best at 78F
    (2SoC). Low temperatures (below
    70F [21C]) delay germination.
    High temperatures (above 90F
    [32C]) cause poor germination.
    Once germinated, move seedlings
    to a slightly cooler growing area and
    increase light levels. Avoid high
    temperatures and low light levels,
    which cause lanky growth.

Air (oxygen)
    Cannabis seeds grow best at 78F
    (2SoC). Low temperatures (below
    70F [21C]) delay germination.
    High temperatures (above 90F
    [32C]) cause poor germination.
    Once germinated, move seedlings
    to a slightly cooler growing area and
    increase light levels. Avoid high
    temperatures and low light levels,
    which cause lanky growth.
    Seeds need air to germinate. Moist,
    soggy growing mediums will cut off
    oxygen supplies and the seed will
    literally drown. Planting seeds too
    deeply also causes poor germination.
    Seedlings do not have enough
    stored energy to force through too
    much soil before sprouting. Plant
    seeds twice as deep as the width
    of the seed. For example, plant a
    0.12S-inch (0.3 mm) seed 0.2S-inch
    (6mm) deep.

12. I soak a rockwool cube in some ph balanced water, give it a good wrist flick to shake out the excess water, drop in the seed and then put into a sealed container. It could be a tupperware container or a clone tray. I get 95 percent germination rate and usually have to transplant them in 3-4 days.

13. #14 MasterMind24, Feb 2, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 2, 2013
    Nice thanks for the info

Attached Files:

14. If im using a dome and my seedlings have sprouted when do i take the cover off?