How to GAIN weight?

Discussion in 'Fitness, Health & Nutrition' started by Burghy, Nov 25, 2014.

1. Well it really depends on what kinda weight you want to put on Do you want to gain weight in terms of muscle mass or fat? If it's fat its easy, eat more calories then you burn up. If it's muscle mass then you have to weight train and that will take years to put on size.

You don't need to eat more to get bigger in terms of muscle weight. If you just pick up weight lifting you will need a few more calories since you are doing more activity's. Weight training doesn't burn all that much calories to begin with tho since its aerobic. Eating lots while lifting will just get you fat and then you will need to lose that fat later. Might as well just gain lean mass and stay lean instead of getting bigger at the same time gaining fat. If you are 140 pounds and want to get up to 160 pounds lean but eat lots and get up to 180 pounds but then need to drop 20 pounds of fat to get to the 160 pounds isnt it the same result? Just more effort. Lots of people think you need to eat lots and lift to gain muscle but its the fact that your stressing the muscle out that's causing muscle growth not the food. If i sit on my ass and not weight train will i gain muscle? Hell no. If you are packing on fat that means you are eating more calories then your body needs so eating more is just more work at the end of the day if your end goal is to be lean and big. Best thing to do if find out your maintenance calories and then up it ONLY by a couple hundred since you are doing more work EI weight training. But upping your calories by 1000 a day or whatever is just plain dumb unless your goal is to get fat. 

3. #23 BlazedGlory, Dec 25, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 25, 2014
    ^^^ This is all bullshit, it's very hard to gain muscle without gaining some fat. You can do it, but it's really hard and a lot more effort and most likely will lead nowhere.

You have to eat a caloric surplus to gain weight, any kind of weight. This is where most people go wrong, they don't eat enough and focus more on the lifting side of things. You need to eat more than you're used to to gain muscle. And no, if you eat a balanced diet and lift weights you won't get fat, you'll gain some fat and some muscle, and you can cut the fat later if you want.

Only eating 200 calories more than your maintenance level will lead to you not gaining muscle and plateauing on all your lifts.  

4. Workout consistently and lookup HIT training..in other words push yourself on each set until failure, when you cannot do anymore, have a protein shake before and after, drink something like gatorade during for the dextrose(type of sugar) because you need to put back what your losing working out.  Eat 6 times a day, and make sure you take protein in during each meal, 30grams x 6 times a day =180, that should be where its at plus the protein shake.  Get a mass weight gaining protein mix, and get something like Udo's choice oil blend, for good types of fats.  Know the difference between simple and complex carb, what are good fatty acids, and roughly how much protein is in what you're eating.  Workout consistently and hard with good form, and eat 6 times a day, and you will gain straight muscle!  Get something like ISOPURE MASS protein, as it has 600cal per serving, but is not organic.  Blend that with the Udos oil, and a banana or two and make sure you have it within 45min of working out.  Remember look up HIT, High Intensity Training, and then it will only be a matter of time.  The biggest issue for me when I was your age is my eating habits, I would not eat enough, and then your body goes catabolic, burning your muscle and storing fat.  Also, I did not work out hard enough, but once I started that I gained plenty of weight.  Workout with a trainer a few times so they can give you an idea, and then take it and do it on your own. 

I basically laid it all out for you there, and repeated myself on the important points..oh and when you smoke, eat as much as you possibly can..Literally my old trainer use to say those exact words to me, and it worked. 

5. In my freshman year of highschool(15) i was 6' even and 160, i started playing football they got me in the weight room, and in 1.5 months i gained 20 pounds, so its pretty simple. Eat a lot, lift a lot, get bigger.

6. #26 MilkyLumpkinz, Feb 7, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 7, 2015
    go to a buffet like everyday lol, eat lotsa junk food. drink protein powder shakes mixed with ice cream.
    stock up on beef jerky an fatty type meats. eat to your hearts desire, or till you get a slight heart attack.
    hope this helps :)

7. Don't do cardio if you would want to put on weight.

Eating and heavy lifting

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum mobile app

8. We're about the same size, only I'm a couple inches shorter. I would recommend a higher calories diet with a lot of healthy carbs and high in protein. Red meats, eggs, even whey supplements. Then, just work out. If you don't have the cash for a gym or some weights, they are plenty to do without. So many different types of upper body and abdomen workouts without any tools. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

Yeah barbell training is a very good way to gain strength and muscle but it isn't the only way. You can definitely get jacked with bodyweight exercises and other form of physical activity.

This thread is mad old though XD

10. #30 emdeex, Mar 23, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 23, 2015
    Gaining weight is my #1 priority. 😭

11. This

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum mobile app

12. Swich to whole grains, there healthier and more calorie dense. Eat complex carbohydrates, not loads of sugar. 

Eat 3 meals and at least 3 snacks. 

here are some healthy high calorie snack ideas. 

1. plain full fat yogurt and frozen berries blended together and some peanuts mixed, makes a great dip. 

2. Cheesy garlic bread made with whole wheat bread. 

3.peanut butter on toast with bananas washed down with full fat milk. 

4.whole wheat blueberry muffins, or pancakes 

5. Pasta! 

6. homemade pizza. 

13. Can't wait till I move out of my hell hole state to a legal state the only way I've ever been able to gain weight was smoking and eating ALL the time I was at my perfect weight and was building muscle like crazy then was put on probation lost my appetite and have lost all of it

14. :( fuckin A! probation fux Ya up!
    FUCK THE SYSTEM!!!

15. #35 Bob Barker, Apr 25, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2015
    I normally weigh 170 lbs but got up to 185 without supplements but it was a lot of eating and lifting heavy+squating a lot! I would drink LOTS of organic milk, eat lots of unstalted cashews, apples and 1 avocados a day plus other clean meals. It was a lot of work eating all that food and I'll never do it again.

16. If you can try to eat steak and rice each day and have meals in between. 

I was 5'7 160 lbs but gained 20 pounds in a 1 1/2 month doing this regularly.  now I am 180-185.  The highest ive gotten to was 190lbs using this routine.

17. 6'3" and 175 ....damn, you probably look like a twig, dude

18. Lots of beef and potatoes. Cut fish out of your diet for the time being. You should really only be eating beef and pork. And don't cut off the fat. Eat that shit too. And drink a 6 pack a day. You will gain the desired weight in a few months. Then resume your regular diet.

19. Ice Cream and protein. 

20. whey protein shakes