How to gain weight?

Discussion in 'Fitness, Health & Nutrition' started by Frank Darko, Jul 22, 2013.

1. So im 5'9, my feet and hands both are really small (size 40 in eu scale) and i weigh about 138 lb. I tried going to the gym and drinking protein shakes with milk and eating rice/pasta before and after the excercise and i only gained strength. Not mass, but strength and when i tried to eat like a pig i went from taking a shit like 2 times a day to 3-4 times a day and still no mass.
    I really want to gain weight but my body just seems to not give a fuck. My dad is also about 5'9 and has about the same body structure as me so that proves that i cannot be a fatass, just a small little man with a lot of strenght.
    Is there any way to gain at least 30 lb?

2. #2 StonedBatman, Jul 22, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 22, 2013
    eat food. and train hard.  and then eat more food.

3. #3 nomoredoubts, Jul 22, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 22, 2013
    I am in the same boat.

I eat chocolate with every meal even if I dont want it, so it usually adds 400-500 cals.

I eat pizza, around 200-300 cals per slice.

I drink soda, eat potato chips, pistachio nuts, porridge too.

I always calculate how many cals I have had at the end of the day and as long as I am hitting between 3000-4000 each day at the end of each month I gain around 6lbs, not a lot but all adds up, I have gained 20 lbs in the last 2 and half months.

It takes time, be patient and it will happen.

Oh and btw I do not intend to eat like this all the time just until I put the weight on.

4. Ehhh one simple rule.

EAT MORE CALORIES THEN YOU BURN OFF.

So if you do high cardio don't go around eating chocolate and burgers. Well I can because my metabolism is off the charts and I have to eat around 3500-4000 Calories to gain weight.

But yeah just eat heaps of sweet potato, corn bread, Chicken snitzel, eggs, Pasta etc...

5. Chances are, you're not eating enough.

You can't eat clean if you're trying to gain some serious mass... go for McDonalds, pizza, chinese, whatever calorically dense food you can find.

6. figure out how many calories you are consuming OP and add 500 to that number immediately. If you are that light + having that hard of a time gaining I would add 700 to whatever you are consuming. I'm 166 pounds at 6'0 bulking and to gain weight must consume 4,000 calories a day. It's very hard, but if you want to gain weight better stuff your ass. I train very hard though 6 days a week minimum. Gaining muscle weight is very difficult. I have gained 11 pounds in 10 months roughly for example and I've been trying my best. 

7. When you get older, you will gain weight guarenteed. For now, just sit on your ass and eat junk food and sleep.

8. Ice cream......lots and lots of ice cream.
    Milkshakes are also great.

If you're like me and have a jet engine for a metabolism, then you won't have any problems holding on to too much fat.

9. best advice I have ever heard in my life lol 

We should be a comedy duo

10. I thought you didn't like me.

11. to OP, if you find a way let me know. I have been 128 lb's since like 7th grade. that was 15 years ago.

12. Actually a very bad idea. I saw a documentary one time where if you constantly eat too much fat it turns into this shit and sits in your tissue forever until you can work it out, but you would need to stay at like 4-5% BF just too do that.

13. Find your maintenance calories and simply add 250-500 calories, as it seems you want to bulk up a bit. 
    With moderate physical activity, your maintenance is about 2200, but this depends on the amount of cardio you're doing too. With intense physical activity, your maintenance rises to 2350. These are all estimates btw, since everyone is different and gains mass and weight differently. 

If you want to legitimately begin bulking, make sure you clean bulk or don't bulk at all. This means as little fast food, pizza, chips, soda, etc. as possible, and more lean meats and whole grains . If your maintenance right now is around 2200, simply take in at least 2700 calories and you're guaranteed to gain weight. If for whatever reason you don't, simply increase your caloric intake by adding another 100 calories to your diet and watch how your body responds, and you'll start getting a general idea of what your body needs to grow. 

If you need a good shake to throw in for filler calories, throw a scoop of protein in a blender with milk, and add a serving of peanut butter with a serving of 100% organic olive oil, and you're good to go. 

14. OP, you are an ectomorph and eating until you feel sick isn't usually the answer.  My brother was having the same problem but he got some help after doing research on bodybuilding.org in the nutrition section.  He used to not be able to get above 140 but now he's around 167 of muscle.  He did some specific diet combined with proper exercise but I can't remember what it was at the moment.  He's out of town right now but I'll ask him when he gets back next week and let you know what he started doing to bulk up.

15. Oh shit thanks for the input, guys I thought I wouldnt get so many informative answers! Really appreciate it guys :) tomorrow ill see what can i do about this !

16. thanks man!

Sent from my E10i using Grasscity Forum mobile app

17. dirty bulk.

eat whatever you want dude.

18. Just fucking eat everything you can.. you sound similar to my build a couple of months ago and I just used phd nutrition pharma gain.. it's quite a good carby shake.. Creatine is also good just remember to drink lots of water.. baked potato's, nuts, peanut butter.. Anything you can get your hands on is good really! try and be on like 3000 cal a day minimum works for me and I looked like Ghandi a couple of months ago.