*how to fix red ring of death*

Discussion in 'Gamer's Heartbeat' started by CmMx112, Feb 11, 2010.

1. Ok, If you own a xbox, you may have or had a run-in with the red ring of death. Well, there is a way to fix it without sending it to Microsoft, which takes up to a month. No, it doesnt break the warrenty either. What you do is take off the Harddrive, ethernet cord or wireless plug up, take out the game, and leave nothing pluged into the xbox except the power cord and the video cord. now, get 3 towels, wrap your xbox up completely, to where no heat can escape. after wrapping, turn it on, and leave it for 35 min. it may turn off, or it might not. after the 35 min. unplug everything, and let it cool off for about 25 min. after plug it all back up and give it a try. the reason it red-lights is b/c of a chip on the motherboard that disconects because of heat. what this does is it eats up, and reconnects the chip. Worked for me, hopefully for you. Let me know how it goes!!!!

2. Just wanted to point out some things real quick ( I have done this to my xbox and a friends xbox
    1- this isn't perminent, it will re-red ring again, mine lasted about 5 days and got sorter with every burn out
    2- if ur box doesn't auto shut down or if u do it many time repeataly you will fry some component leaving xbox worthless
    3- if u can keep a eye on it you can turn off and cool you box once it goes from 3 rings to 2 rings.

Prove me wrong.

3. Dragons right, it is only a temporary fix, Its cool if you just wanna jump on some gears for the night, or however long it lasts but sucks when it reverts back to those rings. Not to get into a rant, but i feel as though rrod in general and the actual lifespan of the 360 is a joke. Damn you broken xbox.

4. well, i had an older xbox, the reason i posted this is because i did this to mine 4 months ago, and it finally red lighted on me for the 2nd time after doing this. so mine lasted for 4 months. this is jjust a shot time thing until i and others could get another xbox. thought id point it out to others that dont know about this....

5. I've tried this (towel fix), the X-clamp fix, the oven fix and the heatgun fix...

Nothing worked.

The only thing left for me to try is the penny fix but I doubt it's gonna work.

6. Towel Tricking is one of the worst things ever to do to a console. It may fix you up, but only for a few days... 2 week max. Your best bet is to re-thermal paste the CPU/GPU.

7. from what ive heard if your xbox is still under the rrod warrenty then dont do this it can cause damage which microsoft will either charge you for or not fix.

8. No what you need to do is on the next blue moon find a 76 yr. old nepalese man with a donkey (he must be exactly 76 yrs old). Strap the console to his donkey and give the man 32 pesos even. You must then find a new born baby lemur to lead the man and his donkey to Ho chi minh vietnam. They will then take your console to a mountain pass deep in the jungle. from there they must wrap your xbox in a jungle vine that only grows for one week of the year. you must then take you wrapped xbox to Siberia where a native shaman will fill your xbox with magic herbs.

And if all that doesn't work throw that piece of shit in the garbage and buy a playstation

9. Why waste your time with temporary fixes when you can call Microsoft and they will pay for you to ship them your Xbox fix it for Free then pay to return it to you and give you a free month of Xbox Live. Most Xbox's are still covered under the 3 year RRoD Warranty.

10. Because Id rather take the red ring chance than have a black piece if plastic thats only good for blu-ray. which I dont need. Xbox has all the top, and best games. ears of war and halo, and of coarse, the xbox live expirence. so wise up and throw that black worthless trash away.

11. Nobody listen to the OP, you will be endangering your GPU by listening to him. Listen, I repair RROD as a second job and have worked on over a dozen units, the X clamp replacement is the only permanent fix. It is important to bolt the heatsink through the motherboard, not the entire case. Please people, do NOT try the "towel trick", by overheating your '360 you are damaging the GPU.

12. And once he gets fed up with downloading updates for 15 minutes before playing every game, he can throw that shit in the garbage and buy a '360!

13. This. I've repaired over 20 consoles and not one of them has ever needed a fix since. If your console is out of the 3-year RRoD warranty, and you wanna fix it yourself. Here's some good tuts/help.

Llamma's Xbox 360 3RLOD (three red light error) X-Clamp Fix

X-Clamp-Fix - X-Clamp-Fix DIY Kit X-Clamp-Fix

14. #14 pyro44199, Feb 13, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 13, 2010

personal preference. I can stand the long updates but it gets kind of annoying having to replace your xbox every month because something just stops working
    and since when do you have to update before playing every game

15. #15 pyro44199, Feb 13, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 13, 2010

your right about gears of war but other than that I would rather have a console that works all the time. I should have known the xbox fanboys were gonna get pissed off.
    Xbox is like running my pc. sure it works most of the time but its inevitable that something is gonna go wrong
    and how is it only good for blu-ray. which is bangin by the way

16. Only the misinformed have to replace their xbox's every month. I got mine with a hard drive, lan cable and mic set for $200, fixed the RROD myself 6 months ago and haven't had to do anything otherwise since. Playstation 3 has better hardware, but lacks in the games department. Also online gaming is definitely not even close to Xbox live, even though it's free.

17. yeah your right about xbox live. that is one thing that I miss a lot about xbox. other than that good riddens. I'm not tech savvy when it comes to fixing so I didn't know how to fix mine when they broke

18. yea, the RRoD is a big downfall, but the new xbox's got tht fixed. i have an older generation. which blows. but idk.

19. Haha, epic post.