How-To : Fimming and Topping made Easy

Discussion in 'Plant Training' started by DierWolf, Nov 7, 2006.

1. Can you top a clone?

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum
    I would really like to scrod it out but I dot know how to start everyone says to too it but I've heard not to top clones idk lemme know guys please and thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

2. Hey growers, I just topped her yesterday, its my first grow, how's this look?

Attached Files:

3. Looks good !

Lol looks like you topped it haha

• Like Like x 1
  4. Lol I would hope. Idk I just felt like after I cut it I started getting paronoid like omg what if I killed it lmao I needed verification from somewhere that I didn't completely fuck it up hahaha
    But I just checked and I can kinda see new growth from where I cut it so it's all good.

5. Your good !

6. I wanted to top my plants. Are the bigger ones atleast ready? Just top the new growth?

Attached Files:

7. Fimmed her about 4 or 5 days ago does this look normal?

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  8. Wondering can i top in early stages of flower

you can but it will nearly stop that shoot from growing for a week, can be done to give ther lower growth a chance to catch up, to give you an even canopy in flower on larger plants (good technique if you understand how it works and how to use it )

10. ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1442203915.101209.jpg

Is my plant old enough to top/fim/LST

11. New guy here. Ok, let me see if I understand what's "really" going on when a plant is fim'd.

Normal plant:
    New growth at top grows leaves that become branches, and main stem stretches upward to become newest node, then the process repeats itself.

Fim'd plant:
    Trimming 80% of new growth tells the plant it has been damaged and needs to stop main stem stretch and make the smallest new growth at the top, the "new" branches for that node as a survival instinct. What was trimmed off the new growth "is technically damaged", just not bad enough that it won't still grow.

It sounds to me, like trimming that 80% at first sort of "re-sets the clock" for those 2 branches and allows the very newest growth to play catch up and grow at similar speeds. This then gives you 4 branches on the same node, spaced approximately 90° apart when viewed from the top.

That's what I see going on. It doesn't actually "cause" additional branches to grow, it just thinks you killed two branches when you really didn't. It's just a way of re-timing all the top growth to grow in unison, giving you 4-5 colas.

Correct?

12. Okay so, I'm officially on here, 30 days ago I started a lil somethin, exclusive small project, I "fimmed" last night, came back today and I felt like I didn't take enough off.. so, I felt for the little bulb in the mid section and pinched about half of it off; now what I'm wondering, although the plants resilience is like no other, did I seriously stress her out by doing it 2 times in 24 hrs because I'm a boof and had to go back and fix my firs F up?

• Like Like x 2
  13. I topped my auto. This is my first grow so I don't know the effects. Anyone have experience with this?

14. Does topping or FIMing increase yield only when given time to grow new main colas? I am wondering whether or not LSTing the top of the plant downwards would give you the same yield as topping or FIMing opposed to being left alone to grow around the pot? I am a very new grower, have much to learn >.<

• Like Like x 1
  15. The plant will be fine. I'm fairly new myself and I've done some things and they bounce back every time. Most strains can take alot of stress.

#shuttle420express Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

16. I think you can get the same if not, more yield just by training. But I would recommend some time if u fim or top just for the branches to be strong enough for the weight later on towards the end. I always have this problem of flimsy skinny branches trying to hold up swollen colas

• Like Like x 1
  17. Thanks man :) I appreciate the advice. I guess for this grow theres no harm in me sticking with just low stress training, and maybe try FIMing for my 707 Truthband fem seeds once they are ready (only just germinated). Im so new here, cant stop researching haha.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Here's some of the training. I like a nice even canopy of decent size colas. I don't get any 2 litre bottle size colas but I get a ton of these size ones. Usually all within an inch or two from eachother on terms of height. IMG_20180408_161030_752.jpg 20180407_203458.jpg 20180407_153746.jpg IMG_20180408_161945_194.jpg

• Like Like x 1