how to fatten buds up!

Discussion in 'Advanced Growing Techniques' started by OmEGaGuy99, Oct 24, 2007.

1. curious about getting bigger dense nugs? like any ferts or methods would be nice to hear? thanks

2. Feed them right, (no super bloom product necesarry with proper feeding) let them have a large root system, and use high intensity light through the entire grow.

Most important thing I've learned is to use the same wattage for veg as you do for bloom if you want big buds and robust plants. Enough T-5 light would be similar but CFL's have a hard time thickening the plant up unless you are using A LOT of them.

With proper feeding and air exchange- light, root system size, and veg time are the most important factors in if your buds will be huge or not.

3. You got it bro- just remember you can't have too much light if you can control the heat. Always use as much light as possible at all times except when rooting cuttings.

Do not listen to someone if they tell you light in veg isn't important, especially if you want huge buds. I had to learn the hard way, my yeild last time was shit because I didn't use enough light in veg and didn't veg long enough either.

4. same wattage for veg as flower?

Never heard that one...

Can this be overcome by vegging longer?

5. yeah... veg longer = bigger plant.

6. I was actually going to post a thread about this today, I was reading December's hightimes and there is a product called "brix+" it is a foilar spray that you apply 1-2 weeks before harvest. I'm a bit skeptical a new grower I havnt done any foilar research for flowering, I always assumed it would attribute to mold and such. they claim "This formula promises to add weight and improve your buds colour, taste and yield."
    http://www.hydrowholesale.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=hydro&Product_Code=BX405

anyone have any experience with this or similar products?:smoke::smoke:

7. Yes but they will be less stocky- so you have to over-veg them for big buds.

But if you want big buds, use more light. Over vegging is a waste of time.

8. thanks for the clarification on that MrG!

9. Keep in mind that higher light through the whole process is better. The rule is 10,000 lumens per square foot of growing space. That light amount also requires CO2 enrichment to be productive, but under those conditions 12" a week or more of veg growth is not unreasonable, so you can cut your veg time down significantly.

Edit: Oh, one other thing, if you CO2 enrich and have 10,000 lumens per square foot, then you can also let the temperature rise to around 95ºF, which makes heat control less of an issue.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. i wouldn't foliar much past the second week of flower. if you want big yields, you need to establish a big root structure in veg. once you're in flower, it's too late. also, you don't need co2 to grow big plants. all you really need is a good exchange of fresh air. of course, you'll yield better with co2, but there's no reason you can't get close to 2 elbows with just fresh air with 1000 watts.

11. Mr.Goodstuff: I am growing a handful of plants in soil. I have 2 430watt son agro.

I was planning on using one bulb to veg and 2 to flower. Should i be using them both to veg aswell???

thanks for any response...

Andrew

12. andrew: hell yes. Those are the best lights you can buy.

13. The Son-Agro was designed with 30watts of blue spectrum specifically to grow the whole way through. Any type of HPS is better than no hps, you got 2 of the really good kind.

14. For a bit of a boost 3 weeks before the end I use Canna PK 13/14....but then all the ferts I use are Canna....

15. My buds get nice in size, just hardly weighs on scale. i noticed lights are important, im using DNF formula now see how it works out.

16. this is wrong about the CFLs my man... No offence, but i used a single 125w CFL to grow 4 liberty haze plants and the stems turned out THICK but short with super short spacing between nodes... I know iits good to have more low watt CFLs than to have 1 high watt bulb but i managed to get nice thick stumpy plants that went on to flower under a 600w HPS with no problems except a bit of foxtailing which was actually beneficial for the harvest ;)

17. Id veg with both 430w bulbs.

I myself use a 1000w EYE HPS Hortilux, or 1000w Gavita to veg with. I use the same bulbs for flowering.

The Sun is 100w/Sq/Ft...1600w in 4 x 4.
    I grow in 20 gallon smart pots, and Promix BX.