Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

How to explain my MMJ use to my 12 year old daughter

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by jimmyfly, Apr 10, 2014.

1. #1 jimmyfly, Apr 10, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 10, 2014
    Hi all, so I have a 12 year old child. I am 38 have been a every day user for 20 year. Only not smoking when on holiday or on business. This is to some of you older guys out their how do I do the explaining of my uses. I live in the uk and she is at the age where I think I need to giver her the heads up. I don't roll or smoke a bowl in front of her but the smell is going to be noticeable and memorable. So are the eyes all red and shit, so how to talk to her we don't have medical use here in the uk. A little back ground i drink alcohol very little some month not at all I was tee total for 15 years I choice my weapon WEED. It keeps me centred and stress free this is why I smoke. So if anyone has been in the same situation and has any advice please share. Or if anyone has advice on being the child being told that your dad uses green.

Sent from my XT890 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

2. show her the truth about marijuana and how the governments around the world lie about it under political pressure from Washington DC...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpDKfj7X8A0

show her the medical benefits in Granny Storm Crows list.

3. explain it the same way as if you were on oxys or some other drug prescribed by your doctor.

4. #4 medicalcenter, Apr 10, 2014
    Yes, tell here marijuana is a herb, grown from the earth. It is not processed or refined or chemically enhanced. Ask anyone who's used it for pain management relating to a life-altering illness - Cancer, AIDS, Glaucoma, Multiple Sclerosis, and Crohn's disease etc. - and they'll tell you how it's changed their lives.

5. Tell her you know an Electrical Engineer who works for GE who is 60 and ready to retire who blazes daily. And I am probably one of the most respected here. Also many other professionals do it including Bill Gates. It's like drinking except healthier. ;-)

Sent from my Venue 7 3730 using Tapatalk

6. #6 jimmyfly, Apr 10, 2014
    Dandy I work for a large oil and gas company as a project manager on shore, she sees me working hard. Most of my friends smoke like minded people become friends I find. My hole family know, my brother is a mental health doctor and will have a blaze from time to time. Will just have to sit her down and do my best to explain. Will have a week and think about how I go about it the wife wants me to have a talk soon. ( the wife does not blaze anymore only when in Amsterdam)

7. I work with 12-18 year olds for a living, and gets understand stuff way better than their parents think they do. Part of it, I think, is that it makes it easier to avoid tough conversations if the child pretends to have only a superficial comprehension of what is going on.

You need to decide with your wife what the rules are going to be with your child. Will you allow her to smoke recreationally? If so, at what age will you introduce it? The #1 thing is consistency. If you tell her it is only for medical use, don't let her see you toking up with buddies. If you're going to be fully transparent with her, you need to be open about what the boundaries are and be prepared to stick to them when she asks "can I try some?" Don't switch stories on her. She'll stop trusting you.

I would suggest you and your wife sit your daughter down with some tea or coffee or ice cream, or whatever your family's thing is and have a straightforward discussion about it. "Dad has a health condition, and regular medicine doesn't work. MJ helps, but you can't tell people about it because the government hasn't approved of it as a medicine yet. You know it's okay to use, because other countries use it as medicine."

MJ has always been very taboo with my family, and I never was exposed to it as a kid. I was very surprised how receptive my family was to it when I explained that I was using it and what for. All they had to see was that I still showered and am a productive individual.

On a side note, my parents introduced me to alcohol at about 12 and I think it was a good move on their part. They never let me get drunk, and they were always open about the risks and responsibilities, but I was allowed to try it and have it not be a mystery or novelty.

I'm not saying you should let your 12-year-old toke up, but I do think you can talk to her about it like an adult.

8. They say that under 16 a kids brain can get damaged by it.  Might want to look into that and wait.  She will probably be more likely to do it at at a young age if you tell her you smoke every day.  My Dad used to smoke a lot and I never knew about it.  Then when I was a teen he busted my ass for smoking and I always resented that.  But looking back on it he probably did the right thing.

9. #9 rain dancer, Apr 11, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2014
    My friend asked me to help him explain it to his 13 year old daughter, so i cut a piece of my plant off.

I sat her down and handed it to her. She looked it over and I asked, honey, do you have any questions?

Wheres the buds? She asked

So i broke a bud off and i explained that the plants grows like this. Like oranges, since were in southern cali. You just pick the fruit off and let it cure.

Whats cure?

Oh honey, its a slow dry in a jar.

How do you smoke it? She asked

Well, you break it into smaller pieces and you put it in this paper.

She was shocked. She thought there was more to it. She had so many false impressions.

What does it do? How do you feel?

Well you feel happy, hungry, and it makes your eyes red. Whatever youre feeling gets amplified and you feel it stronger.

She asked what my kids called it

Dads medicine. She asked why i use it and i told her because the pills doctors give me dont work at all and i need a plant that does. I told her its one of the oldest medicines on the planet and people hate it and fear it because they dont understand it.

The conversation was a few hours long. She and her daddy cried n hugged and she stopped given me dirty looks when she saw me smoking outside. Let it flow organically and be real. Thats all i can tell you.

:smoke:

10. Thanks for the input guys. I will take note and report back with the outcome of our father daughter sit down.

11. #11 jimmyfly, Apr 25, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2014
    We sat down today..... So I explained that I smoke, I asked (let's call the daughter Poppy) Poppy what she knows about cannabis and what she has learnt from school. Her reply was the same harsh bullshit all English schools media etc vomit out. That its addictive its leads to harder drugs yada yada. So did my speech explained that alcohol is fare more dangerous. Remained her of the times she has seen drunk people, how they acted when drunk where sick ( I have never drunk until am sick just not my thing). How schools was right in someway in scaring people, not to take " drugs". However cannabis is legal in many countries all over the world. We then sat down and watched a documentary on the war on drugs. Then one on mmj in the USA and the 420. In the middle of this she turns and says do you smoke weed.... Yes i said, I have for a very long time.

I then explained my reasons for it and that I am the same person as always. That her grandparents now and are cool with it know ( that took sometime but is another post I think) we talked for 2 hours more.

In the end I am glade I have been open with Poppy she lights up my wold as children do but I look forward to when she is older so I can ask her if I made the right choice in telling her a 12 years old. Only time will tell

Truth and Trust Jimmy ;)

12. #12 Galaxy420, Apr 26, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2014
    thje sooner you can teach to look within themselves the better. We all know what is right and wrong within ourselves and pretty much all outside info someone offers ( forces) to others is biased for their personal gain so the better we are at knowing our own truth as it relates to our own experience the better.  Young people realizing that not all mass produced info (prohibition) is correct info is a good thing. Just help the young kids balance that they know they are being lied to daily and being ok with it and not be bitter toward the greedy moth#$Fu#$#$rs. the young kids need less greedy and more real in their lives and they will be bringing that reality to us old skool greedy moth@#$Fu$%@#rs in a big way telling us to wake UP! the sooner you help them wake up the better so they can see through their own eyes at the world around them and not filtered from what others tell them they should be seeing .

In the real world if you were showing a kid in the woods what plant is healthy and what to avoid where would cannabis fall on the list in a real life learn from what is around you setting. on one hand you have poison ivy ( obviously avoid that) then cannabis. I could go on but looking from that perspective how cannabis compares to other known problem plants in 100% biased because everything bad said about it is false.