Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

How to dose my edibles?

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by alexdezzy, Oct 30, 2018.

1. So I'm interested in making just *one* batch of edibles/brownies, and only want to make enough oil needed for that one batch. No bulk. Ive looked up how to dose the edibles/how much tree to use... and the difference in opinions is remarkable. People's answers range from a few grams to a whole ounce. LOL

The most trustworthy source wrote out this calculation... If I'm looking for a 15-brownie batch, and I want each edible to have 10mg.. then I need 150mg of active THC in the oil. And since most strains are 10% THC, this means I need 1,500mg (or 1.5grams) of straight up tree.

Does this make sense? So If I fry the 1/2 cup of oil (amount called for by brownie mix recipe), with 1.5g of tree, for about 2-4 hours.. that will make each edible 10mg concentration? It sounds like its too little tree, but the calculation seems solid. Can someone help me reason this out?

2. Most strains are definitely not 10% THC they range from lower than that to close to 30%, totally depends on the strain and how it was grown. If you aren't getting it from a dispensary it will be tough to know the THC percentage.

Before putting any herb in the oil, you will want to decarb the herb in the oven at 240 for 40 minutes on a tray or bowl sealed with aluminum foil. Then you can just put it in with the oil and put in the oven covered at 220 for 20 minutes and the oil will be ready to go. Also, that 1.5 g will only be close to 150 mg thc if you don't strain your oil and leave the herb in it. If you strain it out, your potency will likely drop a decent amount.

Personally I would have to eat that whole tray of brownies to feel anything, usually eat about 150 mg in a sitting for good effect and 250 if I wanna be glued to the couch. Edibles vary a lot person to person.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. If you don't know the THC % of your cannabis (meaning you got it tested or bought it at a shop), it'll just be a crap shoot and not worth fretting over what will end up being a meaningless calculation.

If I were in your shoes, I would forget about milligrams of stuff you don't know about and stick with what you do know. Assuming that you've smoked some of what you're going to use, consider the effect of say...smoking half a gram of that weed then maybe assume only needing half or 3/4 of that to get the same effect if you properly prepare it in an edible. Use that for your calculations if you really want to play it out like that.

Always test a small amount of whatever edible you make and see how it effects you after a couple of hours. Then use that as a guide for future consumption. It can be easy to get way too high with edibles, which is not a fun experience and there's not really any turning back once you've eaten it.

4. Making the edible is only half the equation. Everybody requires a different dosage for a nice ride and only experimentation will determine that.
    My wife is good at 5mg. I need 100-150mg to get the same level of stone.
    Usual target is 1/4 to 1/2 gram per person per edible.
    Make them on the stronger side and start with a 1/2 brownie and wait 2 hours before eating the second half.
    Nothing worse then finding you have to eat the whole tray of brownies to get a buzz.

Decarb first anything you intend to eat or drink.
    240 F for 40 minutes.

My time tested base recipe is as follows.
    5 Grams decarbed Cannabis. (weed, Hash, Shatter, Wax,)
    2.5 teaspoons Coconut oil ( any cooking oil works )
    .5 teaspoon lecithin ( power booster )
    Blend
    Heat 220 F for 20 minutes
    Freeze (optional but softens the cannabis further)
    Heat 220 F for 20 minutes.
    Done.

Now this can either fill 30 (0) sized capsules or add it to your oil called for in a baked good and cook normally.
    30 doses @ 100mg using hash or concentrate 15 doses in the 30-50mg range with weed of average strength.
    Hallucinating Hash Capsules for Hemp Heads
    BNW

5. The best assumption for the strength of herb is 15% thc.
    BrassNwood's method is the best you will find on the internet.
    I make frequent batches of cookies using a modified version of it:
    0. Decide on how much herb to use. For a 15 brownie batch of 10 mg thc each, you would need only 1 gram herb, but you should make stronger brownies than that, and eat partial brownie doses. Make them at least 4 times as strong, and eat 1/4. If 4 times stronger, then you'd use 4 grams herb.
    1. Decarb herb @ 240 F for 40 min.
    2. Grind to fine powder.
    3. Add some lecithin, between 1/4 and 1.0 times as much as the mass of herb used, to the recipe oil.
    4. Quickly preheat the mixture to 220 F, then bake at that temp for 20 min.
    5. Freeze the mixture.
    6. Thaw, add into the recipe, and bake according to the recipe.

The minor differences between this and BrassNwood's method are that a different amount of oil is used, and the recipe baking replaces the second heating.
    Making strained oil first is unnecessary, and it will reduce potency by 20-70%, but whole herb does bother some people. But it's rare. Depending on herb to brownie weight, there should be practically no taste.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Little bit at a time till ya find what ya need

• Like Like x 1
  7. It's an acquired thing. I been eating before anyone was testing so it was just trial diapers and alot of Asian TV shows

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  8. A good rule of thumb for your first edible experience: How much do you smoke or vape, in total, over the course of a typical evening? Use NO MORE THAN that amount per serving in your edibles. And use the same batch of herb that you smoke/vape for the edibles, so there are no surprises.

Example: On a typical night you smoke 0.2g of Northern Lights. You want to make 12 brownies. 0.2g x 12 = 2.4g of decarbed and carefully prepared Northern Lights will make a batch of 12 mild and safe brownies that won't make you lose your shit. If they turn out too mild, then eat two.

• Like Like x 1