How to cut the perfect hole for net pots

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Growing' started by dalars, Feb 28, 2020.

1. I am about to rebuild my RDWC using square containers and before I do the tops, I thought I would start a discussion about the best ways members have found to make a clean hole.

I use 6" pots
    I am leaning toward a 6" hole saw but power tools often do more damage than good.

love to hear some methods.

2. I've always used a razor blade

• Like Like x 1
  3. I like hole saws for these kind of cuts.
    Screenshot_20200228-153903.jpg
    And if I didn't have a hole saw I would probably try a jigsaw...
    Screenshot_20200228-154157.jpg

Today's Forcast... Partly Cloudy With A Chance Of Amber.

• Like Like x 1
  4. run the drill/holesaw in reverse when your cutting holes in pvc/plastic.
    it won't shred it to pieces/makes a cleaner cut.

• Like Like x 4
  5. Now you tell me lol

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. Yeah hole saw but be warned a Rodeo night would be easier
    as the saws can take off

7. 6” is purdy big. Id still go for the hole saw, tap it on normal “righty” direction to get the teeth to bite then run it in reverse. Voila.

8. a what?

9. A rodeo.like trying to ride a bucking bull.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. so it's a bitch.

11. Go primitive and use a screw centered with 5 and a bit inches of string with something sharp . Grand job

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

12. #12 RipToken, Feb 29, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 29, 2020
    Ive messed around with using a 2” piece of pipe to melt a 2” holes for a cloner... the holes ended up being too large. (I may have bought chintzy netcups with little baby collars though)

So maybe a 6” can to melt some holes

If ya dont want to buy a hole saw

13. Anybody who’s ever put a 6” hole saw on a hand power drill knows it’s gonna break your wrist if it catches while cutting. Running the saw in reverse eliminates that. You’ll see siding guys do it all the time on job sites with their miter saws. They have the saw blade mounted backwards so it doesn’t shred the vinyl siding while cutting. Same thing with plastic lids

• Like Like x 1
  14. Hole saw run on reverse works great but a 6" hole saw is like $30 lol. I've had good success with a hand held saw that I can slip a sawzall blade into. Makes it easy to control the cut and leaves a nice enough hole that I'll file to smooth out...it doesn't have to be perfect mwe-48-22-0305__1_1000x1000.jpg

• Like Like x 1