how to control temp/humidity using outside air

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by fixxxer0, Apr 1, 2008.

1. So I am considering setting up a grow room and I have a good spot for it... I just have to put up a wall and do some insulating...

I am planning ahead and since this is going to be in a semi-isolated outdoor shed, the only option for vent air is fresh outside air.

I am going to set up a 6" exhaust duct and an intake vent as well. I plan on growing in the spring into summer and in NY we have varying temps and humidity throughout this period.

The room has no heat or air conditioning and I am concerned about the temps getting too hot in the summer since i will be using outside air to vent, which can hit the mid to upper 90's.

How can I cool this outside air and keep a decent environment inside? I don't want to be installing an AC and heater in this location, because i really dont have the power/money/electric bill for that. And even if i did, wouldn't it all be removed by having outside ventilation?

Any ideas?

2. My grow room was inside but I pulled in air from the underside of my house so I had to deal with Temp issues too. The trick I came up with is to run the lights on during the coldest 12 hours of the day and then lights off during other half. Weather.com has some nice graphs that make this easy. With fans running constantly this works to help keep the temp in the correct range. I put in a digital temp gauge that memorizes high and low and then a dimmer switch in line with my intake and exhaust fans so I could fine tune temp as I saw how the temps were running. The side affect is that you also lower your electric bill by running during off peak hours.