How to clear a criminal record - New Jersey

Discussion in 'General' started by irnikij, Jan 29, 2013.

1. Hi everyone, this is my first post and I wanted to get some thoughts on clearing a criminal record. I figure there are probably some people on this forum that have been busted for bud and have gone through this process.

So about a few years ago I was arrested for paraphernalia. There was a fire drill at my university apt and the fire fighters "randomly" checked my apt's smoke detector. My roomate had left our bong out on the living room table. The firefighter then called the police and since I was the only one around after the drill ended, I was arrested. I got conditional discharge (I was arrested in New Jersey), and completed probation fine.

Now I've heard that I still need to clear my arrest record. I called a couple lawyers and they're charging A LOT. One guy said he would do it for $1500, while another said $900. I'm kinda broke right now (I'm a grad student) and I've heard you can do the process on your own. But I've also heard if you mess up, you have to start all over and it's a pain in the ass.

I found a couple websites that said they help you with the forms and filing. This one looks legit: LegalCrunch, it has a dinosuar haha. It's only $89 dollars and the money-back guarantee is tempting. But I'm still not sure if I should do it myself. What do you guys think? Hiring a lawyer is basically not a real option. Should I do it myself or try these online services? What have you guys tried? How hard is the process really?