How to clean a glass pipe without alcohol

Discussion in 'Smoking Pipes, Glass Spoon Pipes' started by StonedCowboy, Nov 1, 2020.

1. "Mean Green" works better than alcohol, or acetone. It's like magic and it's really cheap. $5 a gallon at walmart.

It's by the Fantastic, 409, Mr. Clean, and other kitchen cleaning products. It's just a soap non toxic.

2. Oh great. Now I find out after buying several gallons of isopropyl. Oh well, it's just money.

3. Hot water from your tap is all you need.

Use only hot water, don't have it running too fast, let the water go into the mouth piece. All the junk will go out the choke. You might need a poker to loosen stuff up a bit depending on the pipes shape.

• Winner Winner x 1
  4. Hey man, I love your avatar. Uncle Red is the man. "Remember, we're all in this together!"

• Like Like x 1
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Only $5 how long does it last ? I keep losing iso glass like gets it stuck to it with salt…

boiling water won’t work on older stuff or certain peices ive tried it and couldn’t get it everything off but it did melt away some resin .
    Soaking it in 710 then using boiling water worked .

6. Up to $1?

7. Pour the vinegar solution into your metal pipe, then seal the pipe and enjoy the volcano effect. Soak for 30 minutes at a minimum, or longer for frequently used pipes.

8. Literally the best cleaner for glass i have found. Wont strip off painted glass,like alcohol will, and leaves delightful citrus sent. I gallon at home depot is like 4 dollars. zep-degreasers-zucit128-64_600.jpg

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. So basically, a degreaser is what cleans bowls the best? Cuz sometimes the res builds up and it's really hard to come clean. I'd rather get some degreaser if it'll work pretty effortlessly.

10. Let sit in 50,50 H20 vinegar 24 hrs, drain and simmer 1 hr

11. The degreaser works perfect. Let it sit for 10-15 minutes and rinse with hot water. Resin comes right off, no scrubbing needed and leaves a delightful citrus scent

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. Mean Green isn't "non-toxic". It also specifically states that it is NOT recommended for use on glass surfaces.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. I did give the Mean Green a try on an older glass pipe to see how well it worked. Not bad considering how caked the pipe was. Did several hot wash and rinses to make sure there was no MG residue left. Waiting for it to dry now and see if there's any remaining off-putting taste from it.

14. Yeahhhh no. Not using Mean Green to clean my pipe again. Been a bit since I posted the above but suffice to say I ended tossing the pipe. No bueno.