How to Check to See if People are Still Awake

Discussion in 'Smoking Accessories Q&A' started by rogermanganelli, Feb 11, 2013.

1. I apologize if this is the wrong section, it was the best I could think of.

Better Explination
    A lot of people, unfortunately me being one of them, have other people living with them that aren't really too big on smoking weed. Most of the time, I have to stay up later than everyone else just so I can go in my back yard or crack open my window and have a smoke sesh. Over time, I've developed a few techniques to tell weither or not people are awake, and if you're in the clear to start the tokin'.

Observing
    1. Keep track of the average time everyone goes to bed. Some people go to bed really early, like 8 or 9. But others can go to bed as late as 12. Some times, this really sucks if you have class or work in the morning. The people living with me usually go to bed in between 10 and 11, which isn't too bad.
    2. Do any of them snore? If so, do they sleep in the same room as someone? If you can hear one of them snoring, some times the other wears ear-plugs to get to sleep easier. If one is snoring, the other probably can't hear anyway.
    3. If someone left a drink out, look at it for a minute. Does it have ice in it? If so, is the ice almost completely melted? If so, they're probably already sleeping. Is the hot drink really cold? You're probably okay then.
    4. Some times, people fall asleep with the lights on. If they tend to do that a lot, keep track of it. Because if its way past the time they usually go to sleep, and they have the lights on then its probably okay.
    5. Does everyone use the computer a lot? If so, read the next chunk.

Checking Computers (From Phone)
    I live in a house with a bunch of people who use their computers almost every waking moment of their lives. Its kind of weird if you kept wandering in their rooms and just talking for a second and leaving, so I've come up with a very handy way of checking to see if people are on the computer or not.

Do you have a smartphone? If you have an Android or an iPhone, go on and download an app called "Fing". Fing is a tool used to scan the network, and see which computers are on, and if they're responding or not.

[​IMG]
    (Picture of Fing running on my phone)​

Probably the best thing to do would be to run this during a time when everyone is on the computer, so when they turn it off, their computers name on the list is greyed out. As you can see on the screenshot above, all of the computers are turned on.

Checking Computers (From Computer)

If you don't have a phone, or you just don't want to use your phone, there is also a Fing desktop client which you can get HERE.

Using Fing on the desktop is actually easier than it looks. All you have to do is install it, restart your computer, and type "fing" in to Command Prompt (or Terminal on Mac/Linux). It will search your network, and give you a list of all of the computers that are turned on. If you see the computer listed, it is ON.

[​IMG]

As you can see above, I have covered up the MAC adresses of my computers and devices but you should be able to see them when you try this. After you've looked around, you can close the window, and Fing won't search again until you ask it to.

Conclusion​

And thats about it! If you have any questions, don't be afraid to ask. Smoke up! :smoke:

2. I have no problem smoking when I want but I love where the future is going.

I mean he can check to see if you are awake by you using your computer, that shit is cray.

3. Why not just go outside? I live with my sister and brother in law and there is absolutely no smoking in the house. I smoke outside every time and it sucks but I deal with it instead of trying to manipulate those around me based on their schedule.

Another option, which I took the liberty of fulfilling is buying a vaporizer. $400 later I have a Volcano. It took some arguing but they are fine with me using it inside. Even when I'm just vaping, towel under the door, window open, candle burning and lysol. Huge pain in the ass but I deal with it.

If these are just roommates of yours and you pay equal amount of rent/bills, then I would tell them to fuck off. Keep it in your bedroom and be respectable. Don't make the entire house smell like weed and do what you can to cover it. If you're in a different situation or live with family etc. then yeah it is a different ball game. This is why when I had college roommates I made sure everybody liked smoking.

4. I have a brother that I live with that has autism, and he gets really mad when drugs are brought up, so this is really my only choice.