How to: Cheap, Easy, Efficient - DIY Carbon Scrubber

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself' started by nugglord_420, Oct 13, 2008.

1. Hey I've tried this and the exhaust system isn't really doing the work right now, the air gets stuck into the carbon. Is there anything I can do to change this?

2. #102 ten foot wookie, Jun 17, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2016
    I used the same theory but went with a PVC tube to fit my 6" inline and built the filter out of the 6 inch I'm getting better airflow that way.

3. Someone probably already said it but you can buy the carbon from aquarium places. If your filter seems kinda chunky pulling air, try less carbon or use a can with more surface area Maybe bolt the inline closer TO the filter.

Great diy. I'll give this a go on my next shopping trip and see how it goes. I think i'm about used to the smell after two months (just one plant but she's skunky and quickly chunking on the buds all the way to the oldest growth. About a month and a half of flowering left and the force is STRONG with her genetics.

4. #104 Flowpeel, Jun 21, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 21, 2011
    I noticed that the pantyhose were actually limiting airflow a ton. I made mine without them, in a 6" coffee can, pushing through the carbon at exhaust point (a window sealed off with cardboard covered with foil). I used a 1/4" screen both inside the can and around the end to hold the carbon in place, and just shook it before duct taping it in place to remove small debris. Also, duct clamps on each side seem key to prevent air leaks :hello:

Attached Files:

5. I'm thinking of making one of these. Looks great. And still alive after so long.

I'm thingking of pushing air through the carbon with a fan but venting it into my a/c intake which is right on the other side of the wall of my grow room so just drilling a hole and adding a duct fitting and the intake fan on the a/c will increase the airflow significantly I think. A heavy push and a light pull. Should make for an interesting experiment at least

6. what CFM would i need to make this work? ATM im using this fan. I dont see where the CFM is on this fan, but its a pretty strong little fan.

Model MF-4

4" High velocity fan.

Attached Files:

7. If you're looking for VERY cheap new activated carbon, you should visit this store.
    link: My Products

they have pc fans with 30v power supplys. Specs are listed too.

8. Not to knock it because I've not ordered there, but the website looks a bit unprofessional and is only half set up. I'm familiar with the cart system they are using and with all the security concerns for e-commerce I would be very nervous ordering from there. I could be of assistance if they wanted to make it more secured But I would definately advise they go another route. There are much better options out there

9. alright, this looks like an amazing design for a carbon scrubber. thanks alot for that original post!
    but i just have a question. i have a small space, so would it be okay if i didnt use that extra duct, and only hang the coffee can assembly on the wall, simply cleaning the air so there no smell anywhere? any help would be greatly appreciated!

10. I'm thinking of making a cabinet for a perpetual grow, 4' wide and tall 2' deep with 3 chambers. I'm wondering if I need 3 scrubbers? Or if one will work, which chamber to put it in? (im thinking flowering obviously).. also, anywhere to get cheap inline fans? It seems like the ones I've come across either get terrible reviews or cost close to or over 100.. planning on using all CFL also. Any advice appreciated.

11. why should i rinse the charcoal??

12. Very fine particles tend to clog things

13. nice mate this looks like a winner i reakon i'll copy this idea and make a 6 inch one instead tho :)

14. just a thought, but instead of going with the screen can i just puncture holes in the bottom of the can to act as a screen?

15. good thread,,,, i found this one with the search button,,,

soon im gonna be building myself one of these,,,

got a grow planned for dec.:cool:

16. Awesome... Thanks for the help. Im in Cali and can grow legally for now, but I would still like to be low key, I dont want my house top smell like a cypress hill concert. Im gonna make a few adjustments and give it a shot. Ill post some pics and let ya know how it works out. Just in time too, I plan to flower by the end of the week, and the girls smell so much right now... Im sure its only going to get better. Thank you again for sharing your ideas.

17. #117 wallywally, Dec 29, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 29, 2011
    Wow, great post btw, if these truly does get rid of the smell then that means I can grow in my closet without my parents knowing!

Couple questions though...

a.) How loud is it?

b.) How come there's no fan? Or is it just suppose to work with negative pressure from the intake fan?

c.) How many plants in full flower would this suitably eliminate the odor to???

Thanks for the help!!!

18. Nice setup man, looks easy to make and easy to use! One question though, how long would you say until you have to change the carbon? And how easy would it be to change the carbon when you have to?
    Thanks!:D

19. Do you think I could use this design and vent out into the growroom itself? Would it be unhealthy for my plants?

20. anyone know where i can find a 400 cfm fan preferably not online? i cant seem to find any on walmart or lowes website