How to change plant color

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by bablok, Jul 1, 2011.

1. I was wondering i see some people turn there plants deep purpla and i want to kno how to do this. Colors that im interested in is like blue red purple orange etc...

2. if you are looking for specific colors you are going to need to look for particular strains. the colors come from a genetic phenotype in the DNA of the particular strain, some of the colors and hues are enhanced by finishing the plant in low temperatures. if you have been looking at grows that have LED lighting they tend to make the plants look more purple then the plant actually is because of the spectrum of light they are getting.

3. When you say finish the plant in low temps what do you mean low temps like how many degrees and how many weeks into flowering?

4. mid 55-60 f. you want to keep the temperature of your medium above 55 F as the plant cannot take up nitrogen below this temperature. usually people do this in the last week or 2 before harvest.

• Winner Winner x 1
  5. Allright but only at night should the temp be this low right?

6. Would a good way to do this be to 12 on daytime 12 off nighttime?

7. what you are attempting to do is make the plant believe it is later in fall (as you are controlling the plants "seasons" with the light cycle) the temperature drop brings out the colors in the plant because it is shedding unnecessary nutrients to harden to help deal with the cold. this does shock the plant, and another way to accomplish the same thing is to give the plant a 72hr dark period, and put ice in/on your medium, this will help bring the temperature down rather rapidly.

8. Cool man this helps alot

9. But should i do the 72/0 3 days before harvest or two to one weeks then back to 12/12

10. Two to one weeks before harvest

11. if you are going to use the last method i stated you would give it a 72 hr dark period before you harvest..

12. Also known as frostbiting, as homie Samiel said it's from the drop in temps and shedding of nutrients, as opposed to it being shown by genetics, I know a few ppl that cheat color to the plants, one guy uses liquid grapes which is a color additive, one takes chunks of dry ice and sets them by the stalk in the planter which supercools the roots while adding co2, another sticks his micros into the fridge for 5-10 min at a time the last couple weeks, and same guy just ruined a plant by trying the freezer for 5 min really killed the plant, I would advise against frostbiting your plants it degrades the taste quite a bit when it's cheated instead of letting it happen and adds a piney taste to the buds which can overpower the sweet tangy flavor the bud would have had it naturally ripened to color

13. I see, but wouldnt that be the same thing as harvesting them or no because the plants still trying to thrive because it still has fan leaves and roots?

14. #14 bablok, Jul 1, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2016
    What about the grape method sounds pretty safe

15. another thing is the color really comes out in the cure.

16. #16 bablok, Jul 1, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2016
    You mean w/o "frostbiting" it?

17. Ya it brings out the genetic color more as the chlorophyl dies off

18. Grow your plants to their most potent and abundant harvest potential, period. Purposely stressing your plant or trying to introduce chemicals just for the purpose of changing the color is a fool's errand, you are only hurting your plants and diminishing the size and/or quality of your harvest. Some strains naturally grow different colors, you could pick strain based on these characteristics, but otherwise don't try to manipulate the grow to change the color or you will be short-changing your own harvest.

19. Yea the liquid grape works but it's cheatin it's not shown the were for what it is it's like koolaiding a flower lol

20. Details please?