how to buy a dog: where, breed recommendations, etc?

Discussion in 'General' started by dickens cider, May 12, 2010.

1. That dog is fucking gorgeous. I'm truly jealous.

I decided against getting one. I thought all afternoon about it, and it's not the right time. I'm pretty poor, and i've got a lot of shit going on in my life. Another bill and another responsibility is not something I crave at the end of the day.

I'll get one in a few years. It's just not the right time.

2. get a pug, can you say no to this face?
    [​IMG]

3. Do NOT get a dog from a petstore. Those dogs are usually from puppy mills and have all kinds of issues.
    Check Craigslist, shelters, or petfinder.com... I got my cat for free from craigslist and she's a purebred Tonkinese.
    If you are in a small apartment, I'd look for a mutt, a min-pin, a chihuahua, or other small dog.

4. That's debatable.... Where I grew up, if your "dog" is smaller than a raccoon then it's considered a "House Cat".

Edit: The above husky is fucking gorgeous, +rep to you sir.

5. [​IMG]

Soft Coated Wheaton Terrier

Doesn't shed.
    Nicest dogs EVER.
    VERY easy to train.
    Good with kids/strangers. (Will protect against intruders however).

What are you waiting for? This is basically a pet teddy bear.

6. Good to see people supporting adoption and not the stores. That's just overall good vibes.

7. Word, but our rule was at least knee height. Bulldogs are the only exception lol

Dogs are awesome btw. Good luck to you whenever you decide too get one.

8. Get this thing
    [​IMG]

9. Getting a purebred dog that you dont intend to show or breed is just foolish IMO. Like the other posters said, I would stay away from a working breed like a border collie or any other high energy herding dog. Terriers in general can have their own training challenges, and often have minds of their own. I would see what is available at your local human societies, there are lots of ones that list their dogs online. The wife would love to trade our two dogs for one golden lab.

~ have two papered west highland terriers that constantly drive me nuts.

10. If you want a small dog, I suggest a rat terrier. They are smart dogs that are also chick magnets and won't turn out to be yappers or ankle-biters.

11. BICHON FRISE. NUFF SAID.

try to get one from a reputable breeder, they only breed the dogs with the best genes.
    they might be expensive to purchase initially but they're just the best fucking dogs out there man. mine weighs like 25 pounds lol he's a beast. he always tries to fuck up other, bigger dogs. and as you probably know, bichons don't shed, so it's a dream. you'll love yours i'm sure