How to build a workout schedule and gain muscle?

Discussion in 'Fitness, Health & Nutrition' started by weedwasted, Jan 13, 2014.

1. What's up Grasscity? I recently quit smoking and I want to get in really good shape. I have years of bjj/muay thai experience and I've always been pretty active. But I've also always been pretty small (5'8"/125lb).

What do I need to do to get bigger? I don't want layers of fat either. I want to gain raw muscle.

I'll put in all the work that I need to achieve my goals. I have one of the nicest college gyms in the nation at my disposal and I want to use it!

So, what do I need to do to gain raw muscle and how do you build a work out schedule with this goal in mind?

2. #2 fruitality, Jan 13, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 13, 2014
    start off with 3-5 sets of 10-15 reps

focus on compound exercises that imitate primal movement like pushing, pulling, carrying, throwing, etc

as your nervous system acclimates to the training you should increase the weights and lower reps to 5-8 range

do not neglect flexibility and core stability.

edit: this is my 666th post! 

3. DO what he said^ but I reccomend natural protein powder. Find it at GNC, The Vitaminne Shop, or any health food store.

4. What you need to do is find your BMR your Basic Metabolic rate.From there you need to start eating in a caloric surplus
    thats how you gain muscle,so your pretty much eating more calories you need to build muscle.You also need to find your Macro's start getting in protein per 1 lb of bodyweight You can get in your protein through foods or Protein powder more cheaper and easier would be through Protein Powder 
    Caloric Surplus=More Weight,Muscle
    Caloric Deficit=Weight loss
    Once you nail all that down find a good work out routine that suits you like Phat or anything like that or a Bro split
    The Calories are more important for gaining muscle

5. big compound lifts of not too many reps and eat lots of food but lean food. you need excess calories to gain, this amount can be easily calculate (you want aabout 500 excess a day). theres a saying"muscles arent made in the gym, theyre made in the kitchen" and that prettty true