How to Build a 140-300w HPS setup - DIY FOR UNDER 100 BUCKS!?

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by shotnva777, Mar 29, 2012.

1. #1 shotnva777, Mar 29, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 29, 2012
    Yes... I said it and I MEAN IT! Lol...

Here's the dealio! After doing some research on DIY HPS setups, I started looking around at Lowes, Home Depot, etc. AND realized that they have an outdoor light fixture that comes with a 150w rated ballast, a 70w HPS bulb AND a 600w socket WITH A (small) reflector!!! ALL built in ONE package for a cool 50 bucks! BET!

I then realized, HEY! I HAVE THESE SAME MOFO'S ON THE BACK OF MY HOUSE! LOL! And they light up the ENTIRE yard! I figured they'd go AWESOME with my "CFL dome piece"!

NONETHELESS, I went straight back home and ill be damned if I didnt have the EXACT ones on the crib! I began to take the one that WASN'T working (HAS A BLOWN BALLAST AFTER 9 YEARS IN THIS HOUSE!) down and dismantle it, before going into the other one that I KNEW WORKED! After taking it apart and inspecting its internals, ballast, bulb, etc. I realized that this is A PERFECT DIY HPS fixture! Here's a pic of it ON THE HOUSE WITH THE COVER!

[​IMG]

Yup... That's IT! You've seen em before! Well, this badboy comes WITH a 70 watter but the ballast is compatable up to 150watts!!! So you can take the two 70 watters that come with it (for 50 bucks a piece) and have 140 Watts of HPS, or u can go grab a 150 watt bulb and tap it in as well! That's my next plan!

I plan to take the two ballast, wire them up with their own extension cord (industrial cord!) and then build me a "helmet" for it with 6" ducts and buy the two 150 watt hps bulbs! (NOT SURE if the 150 watt has a BIGGER socket, so this may have to be purchased as well!) MAY even try to fabricate a "cooltube", when its DONE I will update this with the final project! BUT, FOR NOW.... if u want a QUICK 140 watts of HPS (for UNDER 110 bucks!) to hang in ur grow space, THIS IS THE WAY TO GO! The pics will do the rest of the talking... Go to HD or LOWES and ask them to see the "OUTDOOR 70 WATT HPS SECURITY LIGHT FIXTURES"! They'll take u RIGHT to them! The bulb is a 70 watt but the BALLAST BUILT IN IS 150!! ;)

FIRST: I dismantled the fixture, trashed the plastic cover and disconnected the bulb socket from the ballast! (2 screws and some wire cutters! Leave yourself some room to strip the wires back tho!)

[​IMG]

Here u can see where the wires are coming out of the ballast "cover" now and the old socket hole, keeps the ballast nice and cool too! (Thing doesn't even get VERY hot!) You can ALSO see the way it was wired, u have to make the wires LONGER IN ORDER TO SEPERATE THE BULB/SOCKET from the ballast/box! So have a good 5-10ft of wire, depending on how FAR u want the ballast!

[​IMG]

Yea, I used the same color wire! Lol... Couldn't find my black wire yesterday TO SAVE MY LIFE! Ill swap it out when I build the top!

[​IMG]

Then the wires come THROUGH the tents "wire hole" and into the bulb...

[​IMG]

TADA!!!! Do you see the reflector behind it, screwed ONTO the bulb socket?! Its helping TONS with my Dinafem WW in flower, ill post a video as well! ;) soon as it finishes uploading!

[​IMG]

Hope someone can use this! I know its not PERFECT, but it will do for the DIY'ers! I WISH I WOULD'VE KNOWN THIS SOONER! EVERYTHING IS COMING ALONG NOW!!!

PEACE OUT TROUTS! ENJOY! :hello::p:smoke:

2. I just have to might pick up 2 and get 2 150w MH conversion bulbs for my veg. Thanks for sharing this man! And im pretty sure the socket will be the same size. it seems like all HID bulbs are the same size.

3. Do the MH conversion bulbs MAKE MH'S WORK ON AN HPS BALLAST?!

....THIS TRULY WOULD BE GOLDEN!

4. bookmarked. I love it!!! +rep

5. they sure do boss :D

6. Thanks bro! Great lil DIY! Preciate the rep man!

Fuckin NICE! I'm looking into them RIGHT NOW! REP SLAP!

7. #8 shotnva777, Apr 1, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2012
    HHey dude.... Did u FIND ANY 70-150w mh conversion bulbs?! I can't find those shits ANYWHERE!

N/m ... I think I found my solution! After doing some googling, reading and asking a cpl ppl... I was told that THIS LAMP would work! 200 watts of MH should do me PLENTY of justice on my 3 Shark Attacks! Followed up by either 140 or PREFERABLY 300 watts of HPS for flower time! ;)

8. [quote name='"shotnva777"']

HHey dude.... Did u FIND ANY 70-150w mh conversion bulbs?! I can't find those shits ANYWHERE!

N/m ... I think I found my solution! After doing some googling, reading and asking a cpl ppl... I was told that THIS LAMP would work! 200 watts of MH should do me PLENTY of justice on my 3 Shark Attacks! Followed up by either 140 or PREFERABLY 300 watts of HPS for flower time! ;)[/quote]

Yeah th watts are different on conversion bulbs.

9. I've heard that MH bulbs can be used on an HPS ballast and setup!? The only flaw I read was that the bulb may lose some of its life expectancy ....

I got the other 70 watt setup today.... I plan to go get four 100w bulbs (2 mh AND 2 hps) tomorrow.... Ill be fine with 200w of each for veg and flower, plus a 300w "BLUE" CFL to help in veg and a 300w "SOFT WHITE" to help in flower!

All ready to be swapped out, AS NEEDED through a ducted hood....

10. deffs gonna grab a couple if i need some latr down the track :D great awesome find

11. U meant to rep me right? And then "bookmarked"!!! Lol!

Does ANYONE know if the standard mh bulbs can be used in the hps ballast without any ill affects to the ballast?? I need someone with expertise in this field, because I don't trust the info on other forums and could not find anything about this on grass city!!!:rolleyes::confused:

12. not sure mate, i remember reading somewhere that either a mh will fit in a hps ballast or its the other way around, i would go ask a technition, ring a HID lighting supplier.

13. Yea the mh will work n the hps, it would be impossible vice versa due to a mh ballast not having an ignitor I believe... But I'm afraid the ballast will continue to try to ignite and theirfor shorten ITS life span!

14. They make MH bulb specifically designed for hps ballasts

15. Yea I know... I just got two 100w MH's "lying around" though! I think I'm just goin to give it a whirl! The ONLY thing I can find is that the BULBS lifespan will be shortened (anywhere from 1/2 to practically nothing!) Guess it just depends on the specific ballast u use, bulb, socket, etc... I just DON'T want to fry the two 150 HPS ballast I got, I just can't find any info on how that would happen!? I guess the ignitor only fires ONCE to light the HPS, since the MH doesn't need that, it'll fire and then just obtain its power from the ballast and compasitator (I know I'm spelling shit wrong, I'm high ok? hava...). And this is all just assumptions and what I'm gathering from fuckin Google searches! I will be able to ask someone TOMORROW when stores are OPEN, but I'm pretty sure its done quite frequently from what I've read....

It would be nice to have me two 100w HPS's for flowering and two 100w MH's for veg! It would DEFINITELY couple nice with my 300w CFL and homemade reflector. I'm just going to duct out the one I have my 600w's of CFL's in NOW and fabricate a "cooltube" using the candle glass that comes with alot of fixtures! (Also available at your local arts and crafts store! Haha...) Ill have the inlet (ducted from the A/C) just bringing IN the air, via the inline duct fan down the ducting (after the light).... Should be SUFFICIENT cooling and fun to build!