Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

How to avoid coughing?

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by CrazyCaptain, Nov 6, 2009.

1. Ive been smoking for a little while now, somewhere around 4-5 months.
    For some reason, all my friends can take bigger hits than me. I dont take that huge of hits because it burns the hell out of my throat. How can I avoid that?

And ive tried using a coughdrop or mints while smoking. Coughdrop works well enough.

2. Ummm well it could be a multitude of things. For one, do you really know if there taking such huge hits? Its not easy to tell weather someone is taking a big hit, or they are just taking in a small amount at a slow rate. You could be smoking the same amount as them, but you are smoking as much as you can as fast as you can. Another reason could be if you have some sort of lung problem? That could be something that contributes to it. My last reason could be that maybe your just not experienced enough yet, orrrr they have been smoking way longer than you have. If one of these is not the case, then I don't know what is.

3. i for sure have no lung problems.
    I play midfield starting lacrosse so I can run pretty well, and am in pretty good shape.

but when I take hits, I just suck in pretty hard, i'm not consciously monitoring how hard I draw. and I smoked up a friend who was new to weed the other day and it seemed like his hits were much longer than mine. Dont know about how hard he hit it.

4. Its all experience factor, bro. I could barely take a hit without coughing when I first started smoking. Now I can milk my 2 foot RooR with no difficulty at all. It takes time, and a long time at that. I smoked cigs for a few months; I could take the biggest rips during that time. Now I can still rip, but my lungs are a bit less tolerant of the smoke.

If you want a one up on the competition, get yourself a bottle of Chloraseptic spray (for sore throats; pick it up at CVS). It pretty much numbs your throat entirely. I can't say you'll be invincible, but it helps without a doubt

5. I have the same problem, for me its just how hot the smoke is. I found that holding it in your mouth for a few seconds then inhaling will cool it down quite bit. Also for some odd reason eating a table spoon of honey seems to work well for me. Maybe it coats the lining of my throat. Other then that smoking more seems to make it easier to inhale smoke lol.

6. Not just temperature, but volume too. A small hit on a bong wont hurt at all compared to an equal hit on the pipe. Take a huge rip from the bong, and you'll cough so bad you'll think you're dying

7. You're coughing so much because you have healthier lungs, trust me. Your friends? They either man up and take the bigger hit no matter how much it burns, or they are just use to smoking more and taking big hits all the time so it isn't shit to them anymore. The healthier your lungs get the smaller hits you will be able to take without it burning.

8. heat may also be an issue to me. My nice glass piece broke about a month ago. It was heartbreaking. Unable to get a new piece real soon, I have turned to apples. Dont know how that kind of heat really compares to a high quality piece since I havent hit one in a while.

9. we used to use some listerine before hitting blunts, works well.

10. Leave some space in your lung after the hit to breathe in oxygen to your lungs. This make the hit much smoother and reduces coughing and burning.

11. I have only smoked weed a few times and I have smoked a total of about 1-2 cigarettes in my life-time, and no matter the hit I take, I never cough when I smoke weed, its like breathing air.

Ciggs on the other hand, make my chest itch and make me want to cough, but I hold it back.

weed is like breathing air and I have no desire to cough when I smoke it.

Hows that for weird :confused_2:

12. if ur hitting a blunt or joint do a french inhale or the bubble thing cuz it cools the smoke down a little bit and if ur hitting a bong dont milk it till u cant inhale anymore, u got to remember u need to get the whole bong load into ur lung too

13. French inhale is amazing. The mushrooms cool too, but no ones successfully taught me how to do it yet.

14. Whatever dude, it doesnt really matter. If you have to take 5 little tokes to finish your bowl. Dont push yourself and put yourself into coughing mayhem just to impress your friends. I can take big bong loads but i mean some of my buddys cant, ones got asthma or bronchitus or some shit so they just take it slow, its not worth it to punish yourself like that, you gotta do whatcha gotta do.

15. well i dont really worry about it, i was just casually wondering.
    maybe im just inhaling harder. it only burns the back of my throat.

and how to different pieces compare with the heat of hits?

16. When i rip a bong before i clear it i breathe out my nose so i have more lung capacity to clear it and still feel comfortable without the hurting throat.

17. ^ agree

18. I'd recommend carrying a bottle of water in your backpack, it can be a useful thing if your out smoking. Its a bit of a luxury item but is nice to have if your a frequent smoker and aren't always hitting the herb at home :smoking:

19. For me personally metal pipes hit with the most heat and make me cough the most. A nice sized glass pipe hits a hell of a lot easier, and recently i had my first bong hit and its like breathing in cold air. lol it really tripped me out.:p And finally vaporizing was the most smoothest way to smoke. Also i have noticed the more you break in a pipe the easier and better it hits, maybe thats just me but it certainly feels smoother.

20. Didnt feel like reading everyones reply but..for blunts/joints..suck it into your mouth first..then slowly inhale into your lungs... I never cough on blunts or joints because I have complete control.

But for some reason I cant grasp this same concept on a bong or something so i usually cough on like the 4-5 hit. I dont see a problem.. I just start feeling higher because people say it happens..so whether its true or not, i beleive it and i feel higher thats all that matters.