How the Japan earth quake may have changed harvesting times.

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by mjmama25, Jun 9, 2011.

1. When Japan had it's huge earth quake it literally threw the earth of it's axis, changing the latitude of every city on earth.. How do you think this could effect flowering times. I've noticed people all over Norcal having plants flowering early, even though May is normally a good time to plants outdoors. Is this the effects of the earth quake?

2. Dude I don't think it changed things enough to have any effect. I heard it changed the length of a day by like 2 hundeths of a second. Don't quote me on that though.

3. Wow i never new this.

4. If that's all it was then cool. It's just been a freaky season in CA. Snow in May, etc.

5. preetu gnarly bro

6. Actually this happened before with an earthquake in like sumatra or something (i know it started with an S... im really fucking tired so i cant think). I read that it had a greater effect on the earths axis than the japan earthquake, but neither one would be enough to effect flowering times.

7. Yeah, in retrospect I know that this was a giant stoner thought.

8. #8 kakalvlvinin, Jun 10, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2016
    Most thoughts end up being one lol

9. The big Christmas eve tidal wave that hit Indonesia? That one knocked us off a little I heard.

10. hopefully the terrential rains in cali are over. Can't believe its june and the rain has barely stopped.

11. I read this last week, while worring the same thing.

Here is the whole article

12. My thoughts exactly

i know i can't believe this shit!!! this is the first week it has been sunny all week hopefully it doesn't change the ladies are loving it!

13. yeah.. idk about this.. but I put an indoor plant outside a few weeks ago and it started flowering... and it was raining and shit. :eek:

14. that could be due to global warming. I'm in the great lakes region, on latitude 43 (below Portland, OR) and the seasons of the last few years compared to 15-20 years ago are quite different.

A shift in the Earth's axis would mean the polar caps would be form somewhere else. The earth quake simply couldn't do that. Even a shift in 1 degree lat/long would wreck havoc globally. It's 111 kilometers/69 miles between lines of latitude and is similar for longitude at the equator.

I remember people saying that the '04 tsunami caused a dent in the earth which left it looking more egg like in shape, than round.

15. But it did. The news talks about how it shortened our day but that was by making us closer to the sun. Spinning the earth doesn't change the length of the day. But what ALSO happened was earth spun a little bit so we are also all in a slightly different latitude than we were.

At has nothing to do with global warming. We have had record COLD temps here.

16. Pardon the correction Mama, but the spinning of the earth has everything to do with the length of the day. Thats what a day is, the time it takes the earth to make a complete revolution on its own axis. The quake actually speed up that rotation by 1.8 micro seconds. (thats 1000 times smaller than milli seconds)

Please see my post above, and link to the article from NASA.

Now, the Lat/Long, also were also changed slightly. And slightly is a gross overstatement. Ive seen articles that say the poles shifted anywhere from 10", to 6.5". Thats not a very big shift. Your talking about less than a foot of total travel at the ends of the earth, that are thousands of miles apart. I would hate to write out all the zero's you'd need to get to the solution of that geometry problem. This does have a microscopic effect on our seasons. Depending on your location (lat,long) the amount of sunlight one gets in a day changes slightly.

The truth is, 'global warming' or whatever you want to call climate change, IS what effects our weather. And dont be miss-guided by the "warming" part. Does not mean that we are getting hotter, until we all live in a desert. The ocean is getting hotter, melting the glaciers, changing the ocean currents, which is changing the weather. Most all predictions of the effects of 'global warming' is severe weather, on both extremes.

17. There are things that shake the earths axis all the time. Small earthquakes, large earthquakes, volcanoes, the dam in china shifting billions of tons of water to another spot on the earth, lots and lots of things, natural and man-made. If we were to make changes to everything and try to keep adjusting, well, we would have a hard time. Although this was very significant, that's about it. I would argue that the radioactive decay of plutonium found a mile off of japans coast has a more drastic effect on the temperature of the surrounding water than the shifting of earths axis a few inches. I could be very wrong though.

18. Outdoor sucks anyway. :D ;)

19. [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_N4nhYDmj0&playnext=1&list=PLBC97B825122A37D8]YouTube - ‪Prohibition Episode1‬‏[/ame]

Yeah, outdoor SUCKS :D

20. I think you miss understood me. Spinning the earth a little won't change the length of day. Of course making the earth spin faster will, but a one time bump that made the north pole lower and the south pole higher changes latitude. I'm specifically talking about the change in latitude. I know the earthquake had a lot of effects on the earth. But rotating it a little isn't what changed the length in days. Making it spin faster everyday did. Two different effects and different conversations.