how the hell do u flush?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by solarius49, Sep 18, 2007.

1. somebody said that the "quick and continuous release of nitrogen and fertilizers in my miracle grow soil would kill my seedling, so how could i flush it? cuz i have no idea what flushing the soil even consists of

2. Flushing is pretty much what it sounds like. It involves passing a large volume of water through the soil to leach out built-up ferts, salts, wastes, etc.

Unless your grow space is equipped with good drainage you should move your plants for flushing to somewhere that can handle a lot of water (outdoors, a bathtub, big sink, etc). Some dirt will flush out, so careful if you are draining into indoor plumbing.

Take a volume of water at least three times the volume of your pot (so for a 3 gal pot use at least 9 gal of water), bring it to room temp, ideally let it sit out 24 hours first in an open container to let chlorine evaporate and if possible have it pH adjusted. Then, slowly pour the water into the pot and let it drain out the bottom, don't let it overflow the top, and don't pour it so hard that you disturb the top of the soil. Continue to pour all the water through. You will see the runoff at first is a rusty brownish color, and as you continue it will turn more clear.

After flushing the plant will not need watering for several days.

You should flush once when transitioning from veg to flower, once about two weeks before harvest, and any other time you have nute build-up in your soil.

3. Also take a sample of the final flush water to test PH to compair to the first flush. And remember,if using a slow release fert soil,flushing wont always fix the problem long term because the ferts are designed to be released through time.Use the corect soil.

4. when flushing before harvesting, you said to do it about 2 weeks before you actually cut the plants down.. now after that flush, do you continue to just feed the plants with just plain water ? or do you continue to flush every few days or so?

5. just water like u would water ur plants about every other day u dont have to keep flushing u just want to flush 2 weeks before harvest to get out the salt and nutrient build up when u cut them down

6. U can just feed them water but i guess u could flush a few more times if u wanted to make sure u got all the ferts out.

7. You push down the little handle on the side.

8. Thanks for the helpful, relevant advice... :rolleyes:

9. After the flush before harvest you do not feed anymore, so there should not be additional need for flushing. Continue watering as needed. By the end of flowering your plant should not need watering every other day, but go by what the plant and the soil tell you not by the calendar.