How tall should seedlings get before i worry of stretching ?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by jaykewashere, Dec 28, 2011.

1. My seedlings are getting very lanky , it's only there first set of leaves and it's already over Six inches tall , I've never had a beam stretch on me like this before should I worry ? Also it's a pure sativa so I speculate this could be the reason for lanky growth

2. What i do is keep a fan blowing on them until the Stem thickens up to my likeing Then Circulate air around the plants instead of on them

3. Yeah you should worry. They can fall over which breaks the stem, they rarely survive that.

Alot of people plant them in a pot half filled with dirt and as they stretch they add more dirt(or whatever media) to support the stem. This stem will sprout roots along the underground portion which is a plus.

They stretch because they are looking for more light, because they don't have enough light. Add more light and you will see less stretch or none. Ive seen seedling an inch tall with the 4th set of leaves. Even with enough light some rare strains will stretch some or more than you want, in that case use the half filled pot method.

Its also important to have a fan blowing on them preferably oscillating. The movement from the fan causes some micro fractures which heal leaving the stem sturdier. Plants/trees on windy hills have tougher stems and branches and thus better for bows.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. I already did the pot half full method I added 2 inches or so of soil yesterday and they're up to like six inches even with the soil built up, and there under a 600 hps so I don't think light is and issue , maybe the strain is just like this since it's said to be pure sativa , thanks for all suggestions an other input would e great !

5. Even for a sativa plant that seems like it's stretching. You should worry less about the height than the inter nodal length. If each pair of leaves is 3 inches up the plant, yes it's stretching for sure. If it's growing lots of foliage and has several nodes spaced shortly from each other it's just a tall plant with adequate light. But if you can't have it stand up by itself it's likely that it's stretching, I recommend getting air flowing around to thicken the stems at the least.