How tall/old should they be before I turn on the 400w HPS????

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by dankfest999, Nov 13, 2007.

1. We have 10 fem. Strawberry Haze babies that were started within 3 days of one another. Theyre all about a week and a half old now, and range from 3/4 " to 2" tall and about 2/3 of them are already onto their second leaf set... I'll have photos later tonight, but for now I'm wondering if anyone thinks it is safe to add the 400w HPS to the 320w CFL that we're currently running. Some people have said two weeks, but i figure its more accurate if you consider how much they have grown...

Any advice?

2. you can definitely throw that hps above them... then only reason not to would be if you have issues with your electric bill, but if that's not an issue you can most definitely throw up the hps... your plants will thank you.

3. oh there are no electric issues... and its already in place.

I know how high to set it above the tops, and all that, but was just wary becuase some ppl seem to say that HPS light is too intense for young seedlings... I dunno if they were referring to the spectrum, the actual heat, etc, but i figured that it'd be smart to let them go 1-2 weeks on CFLs to be safe.

4. btw, thanks Jamified

5. anyone else agree/disagree?

6. I use a 400 from the day seedlings sprout.. :D

7. Hey mate, with 20 or so years of wisdom, turn your 400w High Pressure Sodium bulb onto the operation function.
    Mate you have to remember marijuana is a weed. You can grow from sprout to bud under a HPS. I have done it and turned out with choice buds. Just like thongs go with stubbies and beer and BBQ's match I PROMISE YOU will grow great marijuana if you turn that light on NOW!
    I am subscribing and I will MENTOR you through this journey, If you so shall let me.

Russell:D

8. In that case, it's definitely going on tonight. The frustrating part is not knowing how to handle the seedlings, because i've been involved in three previous grows and know what im doing during the normal veg period. In all 3 cases, i was never involved when they were seedlings.

Russell, I would definitely appreciate it if you were willing to answer some questions now and then. I have some experience, and know more than the basics, but still have a long way to go. I will be able to get some photos on here soon. I dont know how you private message people on here, or what "subscribing" means but let me know how to get ahold of ya. Thanks everyone

9. i personly like to put hps on after 3rd set of true leafs amd never put it on under seedlings because i run a room with low humidity and high temp and the light intensity is to much for my strain make sure u keep them humid and they should be fine

10. i agree with what he said. the plants are still at a tender phase and don't need to bombarded with light, they just need to be convinced that it is daytime. the heat is also a factor unless you have proper ventilation. but that's just my opinion.
    when i start seedlings i keep them with the mothers an clones under 5 56w T5's for at least a month after they peek. sex, top an then back in with the clones and mothers for another 2 weeks. after that they are ready. i am a little over cautious, but i have woken up to find an entire crop virtually ruined from misjudging stupid shit and being impatient. i'll stay tuned and see how it turns out either way.:poke:

11. I do the same thing. I have a 4 bulb 4 ft t5 set up for veg. With good ventilation I keep the bulbs 1-2 inches away. It really helps with stretching and the stems do thicken up just as much as any other light it seems.

12. You guys baby your plants way too much.
    :D

13. I agree with Russel on this one. ^^^

People are so finicky with their plants. do you know a) how hard it is to kill a marijuana plant and b) how hard it is to not drive yourself crazy by trying to have everything perfect?

I deal with issues as they arise. I have always had great success with my grows and I always wing it. I don't worry about half the stuff that everyone else seems to worry about and do you know what? I grow killer kind bud everytime.

Of course there are ideal situations for everything, including growing pot, but don't drive yourself crazy with the details. Relax, have a toke and everything will work out.

To answer your question though, yes throw the 400W at them. Just monitor your heat and you should be fine. Good rule of thumb, if you can hold your hand directly over your plants for one minute and you aren't bothered by the heat, then neither are your plants. If you can't stand the heat, move the light up. If you can't feel the heat, move it down. simple as that.

Good luck

14. ooh, can't wait to hear the results on this one. Been wanting to look into strawberry haze...definitely keep us posted!