how strong of an exhaust fan do i need?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by gabriel de fari, Aug 27, 2012.

1. I want to remove all the smell from my room.
    I do NOT have an airtight room. my door has a crevice that I cannot fix since it's one of those doors that slides to fold open, and once its shut it has a few crevices on top where the wheels are. The gap is about 1/3 an inch big. very small.
    My room is about 2.5 M^3, around 88 Cubic feet. I had an exhaust fan that was insanely overkill, working at around 750 CFM, or 1200 m^3/hr. It made it so that the air coming in through the crevice felt like a fan. I had to get rid of it because the negative pressure was too great and Its diameter was too large so that I couldn't get a active carbon filter on it. My question is: how strong of a fan do I need in order to make negative pressure so that all the crevices suck air in and all the air exits through the exhaust?
    I was thinking maybe about 400 CFM? If i get a 200 CFM fan I can attach it to a 30 buck home-made carbon filter easily, but i'm afraid that the filter will lower the CFM flow and make it so that not all the air exits through the exhaust.
    anybody with experience know how strong the fan needs to be for a room this size?
    thanks in advance dudes

2. well... you shouldn't have gotten rid of your fan......

everyone's view on how to rid smell is different....

I like to use the x5 method.... I take the cubic feet and multiply times five... then I use a fan speed adjuster and reduce till it works

since you have a 88 cubic feet I multiply times five=440 cfm

then I use a fan speed adjuster and reduce as needed to achieve smell loss

good luck

3. ahaha i still got my fan
    its just, so fucking big. and its 130 watts. that plus my 500 watt system and my internal fan, just toooooo much money. and the airflow was srsly an overkill. don't want to attract attention to my light bill as i live alone. hehe
    i found a 60 watt 600 CFM exaust fan. i think that should do. that x5 ratio is key man, kudos

4. hahahahaha... everyone complains about wattage and bills till they get busted about smell issues...

just focus on ridding about smell, not wattage.... seriously.. ask the other GC members that have been busted for smell before complaining about bills..

but I hope you find your happy medium

5. The electric "company" is that a company. They are running a business. High electric bills won't get u caught. Ridiculously high electric bill still won't get u caught. Don't pay the bill. And you will break out in hand cuffs. Pay ur bill ur cool.

Smell is the first thing that will get u caught.